Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cbr1100xx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day blackbirds owner!

I have a 2000 blackbird UK specs with 45,000km in the clock. I bought it 2 months ago and put 2000km on it since.

I noticed strong vibration at 3000-4000 rpm (handle bar, foot peg and where the inner thighs contact with the tank) and rattling noise. I read many old posts on this forum about cct replacement and backlash adjustment. I decided to give it a try!

After I replace the old lifter set with the new one (2 green dots) and did the static backlash adjustment (I warmed up the engine then turned off and immediately do the adjustment) for the front and rear balance shafts. the one on the left side is too difficult to reach so I gave up. the bike became smoother but it makes significantly more rattling noise at idle and high pitch noise when accelerating. Even my wife can tell that it is noisier.

I have no idea what went wrong. I guess there is no problem with the lifter set because it is plug and play. Regarding the backlash adjustment, I did exactly what written in the manual. However, there is one thing I don’t really understand: “turn the front balancer shaft clockwise until resistance is felt”. How should I understand “resistance” here? It means until I cannot turn it anymore or until it is a little hard to turn? What I did is I turned the shaft until it cannot be turned anymore then back off 1 graduation.

i hope that the gurus here can give me some idea how to improve. Thank you all in advance!

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Good day blackbirds owner!

I have a 2000 blackbird UK specs with 45,000km in the clock. I bought it 2 months ago and put 2000km on it since.

Regarding the backlash adjustment, I did exactly what written in the manual. However, there is one thing I don’t really understand: “turn the front balancer shaft clockwise until resistance is felt”. How should I understand “resistance” here? It means until I cannot turn it anymore or until it is a little hard to turn? What I did is I turned the shaft until it cannot be turned anymore then back off 1 graduation.
The meaning of the above statement is that you turn it until you feel contact. If your not sure you can roll it back and turn it back in a couple times. You'll feel the resistance they are stating. Your not trying to force the gears to mesh your only looking for a feel of contact.

These steps are meant to get the initial backlash setting. If you read further there is a warm check as well and this is your final setting. You'll also want to get to the one balancer you stated was difficult. if it is out still it could well be causing the vibes you feel.

Be advised these are spur gears you are adjusting so there will be an inherent whine noise to them. As long as it's not audibly loud your should be good. When I set mine I used my youngest sons 03 with only 23,000 miles on it as a benchmark. His had a slight whine to it so I just left them making the same slightly discernible whine.

Reactions: hoangdonghai

·
Registered
Cbr1100xx
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your answer Beestoys.

I think I may have forced the gears too tightly :(

Any possible damage beside the noise?

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
I'm thinking not it's a spur gear they're pretty tough. As long as you didn't do a marathon iron butt run you should be safe. Go back in and readjust it and see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts