Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I received my new CCT for the 1997 Bird I recently purchased. Estate sale, and the wife had noe maintenance records, the bike has 54000 miles on the clock. So, to be safe I bought a new CCT. Checked the forums on various sites and decided to do my own install for you with hopefully, helpful pictures. Super easy job, would be rated a “1” for difficulty 😁. Here goes in steps.
#1 gather the tools you’ll need.
I used a ratchet with some extensions and a T5 Allen key/ wrench, an 8mm socket, a small razor, light hammer, gasket sealer, needle nose pliers, small plastic tub and bungee cord or piece of rope.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
#3. Pull the fairing away from the bike slightly and the CCT is visible. I tied the radiator hose up slightly to get it out of the way, and just move the vacuum line around as I was accessing the two Allen screws that hold the CCT in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now I stuffed a rag in the hole to keep debris out and cleaned the area with a small razor…Next I put a small amt of gasket sealer in the CCT lip and then installed the gasket and then more sealer on the mating surface of the gasket and placed it back in its hole after removing the rag. Install the two supplied Allen screws and copper washers and tighten it down. Remove the key and transfer the cover (8mm) bolt from the old CCT to the new CCT an tighten it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you could be finished and button it up but this next step takes just about 5 minutes, your choice"…….I took the 8 fairing fasteners over to my bench, got my drill and some Mother’s polish and applie it to a cloth. Chucked each fastener into the drill and put a dab of polish on the cloth. Run the drill and fastener into the polish and then wipe off. Instant BLING.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NOW install the 7 fairing fasteners loosely, then tighten all 7. I previously stated 8 above, stop looking there are only 7😎. The amount of polish I used is on the ice cream stick, very little. The job took 15 -17 minutes. The write up and photos 30 mins🥵. It’s Florida and 98 degrees out hence the ice cream stick. Hope this helps someone tackle this job or go to your local bike shop and spend $150 bucks for labor. YOU CAN DO THIS…..EASY.. While I was at it I removed the gas cap an sanded and polished that and got a few more covers ready to polish.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you for your time and effort to help others.

With the provided photos I believe anyone can do it.

May I ask what is this to do with CCT:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes great instructional write up Bentleyss , there should be a section on here called " how to do it " filled with articles such as yours and videos.
5 star.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
😂😂😂 The thermometer registered the temp I was working in, stopped and had a ice cream and used the popsicle stick to spread the polish for the fairing bolt cleanup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes great instructional write up Bentleyss , there should be a section on here called " how to do it " filled with articles such as yours and videos.
5 star.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I received my new CCT for the 1997 Bird I recently purchased. Estate sale, and the wife had noe maintenance records, the bike has 54000 miles on the clock. So, to be safe I bought a new CCT. Checked the forums on various sites and decided to do my own install for you with hopefully, helpful pictures. Super easy job, would be rated a “1” for difficulty 😁. Here goes in steps.
#1 gather the tools you’ll need.
I used a ratchet with some extensions and a T5 Allen key/ wrench, an 8mm socket, a small razor, light hammer, gasket sealer, needle nose pliers, small plastic tub and bungee cord or piece of rope.
Very nice write up and images. Thanks for doing it. Excellent tip about moving the radiator hose out of the way with a bungee.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts