Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been while since i posted anything, but after speaking with HANKSXXX and chasing down a self induced problem with my blackbird, we started discussing the origin of the turbo kit Hank used and where he got it from.

I could listen to Hank talk about that bike all day, but unfortunately there is this thing called work (no coincidence its a 4 letter word) and I don't want to steal a story, I'll just give off the cliff notes. It came from Mark Moisan multiple year Daytona Bike Week Dyno Champion (that I can find sources for) and a pro drag bike racer and noted builder of forced induction bikes. Hank mentioned that they wrote an article about Mark's turbo'd Blackbird way back when he started his company American Turbo Systems. I think it was out of Naples but I'm having a hard time finding a source for the location of the shop. And I decided I would find that article just as a history for the bike and our beloved CBRXX model with the hope that maybe it could be added to the archives here, for posterity sake.

It took a lot of searching obscure links on google and other forums as i could not find any reference in the Cycle World Archives to the article, but find it I did! Maybe they just haven't updated the archives, I didn't use the right keyword, or you have to be a paid member. (they still have their 1997 first review of the CBRXX available)

Guys and Gals, I present to you a "possible" kind of forgotten history of our beloved CBRXX and the legend Mark Moisan as written in Cycle World June 1997.

Here is the Google Books link for the article: Cycle World Magazine

On the vertical scroll bar on the right side of the screen click the higher gray area, and then you may need to scroll down a few pages to find the start of the article. Last picture in the attachments if instructions are unclear.

Also attachments are the screen shots of the artilce and its relevant info I could find.

P.S. I found a posting on this site that claimed that they found the 1st production kit installed on a bike listed as ATS 00101. I don't know if that really is the first or the 101st as I'm not privy to the starting serial numbers, but still cool all the same:

Found ATS first Blackbird 00101

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt, you oughta post some pics of your bike and the dyno chart.
Hank (HanksXXX)
I do have the dyno sheets, ill just have to dig them out of my filing cabinet when I get home. Here are some pics available to satisfy for now.
IMG_0026.thumb.JPG.be10dc406c8ab7b6e934a63f8aff0fea.jpg

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Dammit Matt now why'd you go and do that. :unsure: Aerocharger is making the same turbo still in a 53 and 63 series now I'm in trouble. I've kicked around the idea of boosting my BB but wanted the same style of power curve and style of hidden design.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dammit Matt now why'd you go and do that. :unsure: Aerocharger is making the same turbo still in a 53 and 63 series now I'm in trouble. I've kicked around the idea of boosting my BB but wanted the same style of power curve and style of hidden design.
Because I love these bikes and encouraging fellow XX'ers to mod! While these bikes are way more than capable sport tourer, this bikes heart and soul was forged back in the speed wars of yesteryear. Just with Honda reliability and refinement.

Also, if this is what you are looking for, knowing it has been built and produced before means that it can be done again!

I dont know where all his kits went, or where the bikes are, but they had a new vinyl sticker on the side that denoted these bikes: CBRXXX turbo. As seen in the article.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Yep
Still gonna blame you lol. Might be picking your brain for some pics and such if your open to that. Oh that goes for you to Hankxx lol. I've got a spare low mileage engine here that may end up going this route. My oldest is also now piqued about this. I have seen a few turbos out there but this one sounds very much where I want to go. I've also acquired the equipment and have fab skills and an 8 year machine tool back ground. Which makes me very dangerous when it comes to these things lol.
PS
Still your fault lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys - I also have a Turbo blackbird that uses Mark Moisan's ATS turbo kit. I installed it just a year after I bought the bike in 1998, and have about 31000 miles on it with the turbo kit. I am considering selling my bike now because of health problems after an accident in 2017. I have done extensive modifications to it for performance and appearance, like a 1200cc custom turbo pistons from JE Pistons, head porting, retiming of the camshafts, custom fuel system, dual ignition system using a Dyna 2000 to set timing and a Dyna Arc 2 CDI to spark the plugs, and much more. It also has a set of Performance Machine Chicane spun aluminum wheels, a custom +3 inch swingarm. I will post some photos of it below. I have had incredible fun of this bike, and will be very sad to see it go. Email me with questions or for further photos and info. [email protected]. I live in east Tennessee near Oak Ridge.
DSCN0414.JPG
Turbo_Cherahola Skyway_sm.jpg
Turbo1_2010_sm.jpg
Turbo7_sm.jpg
Turbo_006.JPG
Turbo_003.JPG
Turbo8.jpg
Turbo_008.JPG
Turbo_010.JPG
Turbo9_Mirror block plates_sm.jpg
DSCN0414.JPG
DSCN0414.JPG
Turbo1_2010_sm.jpg
Turbo7_sm.jpg
Turbo_006.JPG
Turbo_003.JPG
Turbo8.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beautiful bike, I used to live just down I-40 from you around Cookeville. Wish I'd known there was another turbo'd bird close. We could have hit up the dragon and devils triangle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts