Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Over the past day or two I've been designing a key-chain for my CBR. I have full access to a 3D printer and have finally completed my first revision of my key-chain. I figured I would go ahead a post it here and see if anyone is interested in ordering some. These are made of PLA plastic. If there is enough of a demand I may switch to ABS.

I have included what the key-chains will look like once printed. I am currently waiting on my red to come in so my test print that I post once completed will have the XX in black when in reality it will be red.
I am also able to customize a name or something along the lines of that on the backside of the key-chain back-plate.
Just comment on here for information on that and I could probably put together a screenshot of what it would look like with a custom name.

Yes, I have a low post count but I just got my CBR in Feb. Haven't posted much yet but have browsed through the forums quite a bit.

Payments will be via Paypal so that everyone is protected

$10 USD for the basic key-chain

$15 USD base starting price for customized key-chain

I am located in Kentucky, USA

I may eventually put 1100 Blackbird on the key-chain as well but haven't taken on that challenge just yet.
Feel free to ask any questions or let me know of any general ideas/requests you may have for improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ignore the weird circle in the top right of the R. Used to be just a CBR key-chain but moved the hole and refilled that spot. Will upload a picture of a key-chain once it is finished.

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,522 Posts
Great idea. Couple of comments/thoughts for you.
the sharp X ends could get caught in pockets. Maybe let them sit proud of a circular bit at the end of the unit and not extend outside of it.
Another is with keychains being exposed to the elements a lot on bikes it might be advisable to make that switch to ABS sooner, it has much higher durability properties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great idea. Couple of comments/thoughts for you.
the sharp X ends could get caught in pockets. Maybe let them sit proud of a circular bit at the end of the unit and not extend outside of it.
Another is with keychains being exposed to the elements a lot on bikes it might be advisable to make that switch to ABS sooner, it has much higher durability properties.
Awesome idea there. I'm gonna go ahead and add that to the design and make the Prototype via PLA. If I get orders on these I'll definitely make the switch to ABS for those.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Capture.PNG

New Revision based on pbz1900's recommendations.

Revised back-plate to further support XX

Also increased the keyhole size

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
33464052_1804415976264026_3820612476261629952_n.jpg

So here is the rough draft. Going to be increasing the thickness and the over all size as well for better looks and overall strength.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not real clear on what the base keychain is vs a custom keychain.
I like the idea, but I'm not a fan of that oval-pear shape, and it still has edges that are gonna snag or break off.
I have one for my FJR1300 from a 3D printer and I like it a lot.
You might consider a rectangular shape similar to this that fully encompasses both X's, or at least put a background in place between the high points of the two X's.
I'll be interested in buying one when you get it sorted. Thanks!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pardon my really poor photoshopping, but I'd think something like this would work better give or take. There's still a lot of room for improvement.
I ran the top right corner out of bounds to give it some character, but removed the tip of the bottom spike to smooth it out.

CBRxx.png

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome guys. Just getting back into the office today. I'll see what I can come up with on a rectangular shape background and upload once I have that completed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So heres what I ended up coming up with on your recommendations. I'd love to put the Super Blackbird 1100 under it. However the font for that pretty much doesn't exist as a downloadable file from what I've found. Just will take a while to get it designed out. The Super Blackbird wouldn't be to hard. It's the 1100 lettering style.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like that loads better, put me down for one when you'r ready to run them.
Will do. As of now I am just waiting for my red color to come in. If anyone has a specific color that they would like the XX to be for bike paint matching just let me know. Will upload what it looks like printed with dimensions today if I have time.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
ok, with the latest design I am in. Super Black Bird type I would like to see too. Red is fine as I have the Red Bird.

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
now it is the end of August????

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,892 Posts
Still going to make a run of these?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm working with a guy on ebay that made my Yamaha 3d keychain, he says he can have it designed and printed and ready to ship in a week.
His ebay name is elegantmarket.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts