Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't seen a thread on this site that is just about what fits what, so if you have info that is 100% fact please post it eg:
1. injection throttle bodys will not fit on an carb head.
2. a complete carb top end will fit on a injection bottom end.
3. Carb throttle cables will fit on an injection but not the other way as injection cables are 50mm shorter. so if you are fitting raiser bars on an injection model the extra 50mm may help
4. Carb and injection front wheels are not swappable.
5 Sp1 (RC51) fork can be fitted with Fireblade 954 yokes on Blackbird ungraded taper roller bearings. Sp2 Forks are to short.

There are a growing number of guys out there that are tuning , superchargeing , turboing and other ways moding there blackbird to madder and madder levels and a fact file is got to be a good idea.
As project 1200 grows I will post everything that I think will help some one build there project, if you have a question and I can answer it I will try and give a yes or no and why answer.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Just the facts

A carb K&N filter will not fit in an injection air box.

top one is carb K&N bottom one is standard inj

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

With a little work a Fireblade RRP swingarm will fit in the Blackbird frame on the standard BB swingarm bolt.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

You know those E-BAY ads for VFR800/CBR1100 levers.The 98-01 vfr levers are only the same as 99-up CBR1100 levers,anything that fits an 02 VFR800 will not fit (brake side) CBR's.So be careful if considering.

·
Super Moderator
12,475 Posts

ZX12R Front end fitting.
1. ZX12R forks along with top and bottom yokes fit the BB with tapered ZX12R tapered roller bearings. (need to space the top yoke slightly up otherwise you run out of thread on the stem :eek:)
2. The bottom yoke for this conversion requires removal of the lockstops and building some to suit the BB.
3. Std ZX12R bars foul the inner trim panels if fitted.
3. You cannot use a 929/954 Blade top yoke with this conversion (different taper on top of forks (ZX12R larger)
4. Ignition lock/HISS mounting requires 'modification'.
5. ZX12R forks give std geometry (need to play with position of forks in yokes) and std springs are almost spot on when compared to a BB.

Switch gear
1. (UK only perhaps?) Later models don't have the facility to turn the headlight on/off. Earlier switchgear is a direct fit and Honda didn't remove the wires from the loom so you can fit earlier switchgear and choose when you switch your headlight on/off.
2. If you fit a radial master cylinder, the banjos point downwards. This interferes with the throttle cable position. VFR switchgear has the throttle cables positioned higher up (horizontal) and can use standard BB throttle cables (only tried this on an injection model).

Odds and Sods
1. Rear wheel fits all models.

GrahamUK said:
Can anyone post details of off the shelf .....supercharger kits
Not yet!
steveb said:
what did you do with regards to a rear caliper? I know you have Dymag wheels, is the rear for the 'Blade or 'Bird?
I started to model up (in CAD) a rear bracket to fit a BB swing arm when I was in France for Christmas. Brembo twin pot mounted on top although there appears to be little to stop it from being mirrored and used as an underslung item.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1:The cam cover from a UK spec carb BB will fit on to any BB motor Carb or injection but has none of the PAIR system in it, where the PAIR system would be is a blanked off unmachined panel.
2: The standard carb BB throttle position sensor fits straight on to Keihin Flat slide carbs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You can put a late steering head lock on an early frame if you swap the upper triple clamp, and the electrical plug. I pushed the connectors out of the plugs and swapped the plugs. Works like a charm, and the newer lock is MUCH stronger than the old one. Yum. Early and late gas caps appear to be identical.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Bleeding rear brakes...

My XX has Givi rack and every time I had to remove the tail, it's at least a 2-hour job just to remove and reinstall the tail, as the rack was in the way.

I found that to access the rear brake reservoir, I didn't really have to remove the tail at all. I removed the 2 bolts then kept the side panel away just enough to remove the reservoir cover and used a long funnel to refill the fluid was just fine. Must easier.

·
Registered
63 Posts

99 and up models use an F4 front wheel.
What exactly does this mean?... F4 is exact same wheel or they are interchangable? I would be interested in knowing if any other OEM wheels fit the 02XX. Would like a different look without spending serious $$$ on aftermarket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Tips when installing steel braided brake lines

I have just installed a Goodridge set of steel braided brake line (the complete set). After doing this, I just thought I'd share a few tips with those who have not done this but still contemplates it.

1. Removing fairing or not

It is possible to install the brake lines without removing any fairing. Still, it will be a heck of a lot easer if you take the time to remove the upper fairing (the one around the hedlight) and side fairings.

2. The stock steel pipes over the front tyre should not be replaced

This one had me puzzled a while, until a friend of mine (driving a Kwaka, I'm sorry to say) suggested they stay... after this, everything made sense....

3. Tighten those bolts before.....

On the left front caliper, there is a hose that connects from the caliper, on to the LBS-cylinder (bolt on the middle of the hose, the only hose with a connector on the middle) and onwards to a junction on top.

When tightening the middle bolt on that hose, remember that it should be tightened to the specified tourque BEFORE you put it in place. Otherwise, the middle bolt is impossible to reach as it is hidden behind the caliper/piston assembly, and no way will you be able to get the correct torque on it after....

4. Have someone help you

It is a lot easier being two persons doing this. I did this myself on a CBR600F, a GSX750ES and a GS400 before. But those bikes were easier to install this kit on than the XX.

5. Where do those lines go?

The Goodridge kit has lines at the same length and orientation on the banjos as the stock ones. So you will know what line to use, as soon as you have removed the stock one. What we did was remove one line at a time and install a new one afterwards.

6. Be patient

Well... self-explanatory

Did I succeed?

Yep, I think so, even though I had to call my Kwaka-driving friend (who is a heck of a mechanic!).

All the lines are in place, bolts tightened to the specified torque, everything triple chekced. This evening I will bleed the system, using a one-man bleeder kit.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Axle is one part,it's modifying spacers and axle spacers that's the p.i.t.a. part.Lets say you find a CBR1000 rr wheel,you can either try and find bearings and spacers to make your axle fit or you use as much as you can from the 1000,modify the s/a spacers (chain adj) and whatever else to line up the chain and brake caliper bracket.I think the latter is easier and you get a bigger axle while you're at it.I have to do something similar soon for the s/a I bought that uses a Busa wheel,only I plan on keeping my XX wheel.

·
204 Posts
Ok I think I am starting to understand. I am looking for a wheel that will allow the same spacing to keep it center of frame. Now question is where do you start little over whelming when it comes to mixing and matching parts I no real easy way to do it.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I know,I've thought about upgrading to a CBR1000 wheel myself since its lighter and will fit a 190 better.This kind of switch is done all the time so I know its not rocket science just a requires a little work or of course money to pay someone else.
Hey Graham...need a new project?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know,I've thought about upgrading to a CBR1000 wheel myself since its lighter and will fit a 190 better.This kind of switch is done all the time so I know its not rocket science just a requires a little work or of course money to pay someone else.
Hey Graham...need a new project?
Got my hands full thanks

X

·
0 Posts
Early (carb models) rear wheel will not work with 99-up rotor. Bolt circle circumference is a tiny bit different. Why they changed this as well as the front wheel rotor circumference, I will never know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
'98 radiator does not fit in '01 BB

Hi

I have question about radiators. I have 01´bird and i found 98´ radiator. It looks almost the same with exeption that fan´s connection is different. Is it without this exception exchangeable? Are the dimensions the same?

Martin

1 - 20 of 67 Posts