Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thank you Beestoys n XXGUY... Considering options and cost, think i'll go with Stinger! Antigravity has one with 360cc but cost $2 dollars more than your 387cc Stinger. Thks again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Lastly, I recommend NOT to peek inside the switch to see what color wires go where...like I did. Very hard to put back together. Kind of like trying to put a live snake into a shoebox.
Very sound advice from Fizzy. I bought a spare Bird switchgear originally intending to open the Bandit gear, remove its loom and replace with Bird loom for easy plug and play install. Quickly backed off from attempting that!

Instead, I got the two wiring diagrams, (for Bird and Bandit) invested time to work out which Bandit wires to splice to which Bird wires. Electrically tested all connections post splicing to ensure no dead switches/ circuits.

Thereafter it was plug and play re install on bike.

PS North American wiring is different from Euro set up (on both bikes) else I'd post my UK wiring diagrams (if i can find them) with my crib sheet to splice what to what to speed you on your way. If I do that now I may confuse matters so best to source diagrams for exactly the Bird model and Bandit model you have and step through each switch at a time yourself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Very sound advice from Fizzy. I bought a spare Bird switchgear originally intending to open the Bandit gear, remove its loom and replace with Bird loom for easy plug and play install. Quickly backed off from attempting that!

Instead, I got the two wiring diagrams, (for Bird and Bandit) invested time to work out which Bandit wires to splice to which Bird wires. Electrically tested all connections post splicing to ensure no dead switches/ circuits.

Thereafter it was plug and play re install on bike.

PS North American wiring is different from Euro set up (on both bikes) else I'd post my UK wiring diagrams (if i can find them) with my crib sheet to splice what to what to speed you on your way. If I do that now I may confuse matters so best to source diagrams for exactly the Bird model and Bandit model you have and step through each switch at a time yourself.

Yep been looking at those spaghetti diagrams! Not an electrical man by any stretch of the imagination! BUT I'm always willing to learn and I'm open it! To be completely honest any MAJOR IN ELECTRICAL WORK I WOULD NEED SOME MINOR GUIDANCE!!!! My friend and landlord is a retired aircraft mech. and usually gives me a hand if I get stuck.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yep been looking at those spaghetti diagrams! Not an electrical man by any stretch of the imagination! BUT I'm always willing to learn and I'm open it! To be completely honest any MAJOR IN ELECTRICAL WORK I WOULD NEED SOME MINOR GUIDANCE!!!! My friend and landlord is a retired aircraft mech. and usually gives me a hand if I get stuck.
I didn't refer to any wiring diagrams. Just used a circuit tester, a note pad and a process of elimination. Also, my notes are long gone, sorry. One thing is I made the new loom 3-4" longer to better swag the wires out of the way of the headlight bulbs to give clearance for (future) LEDs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Outline of what I did (no guarantee I'm right so follow at your own risk):

1. Downloaded spagehtti diagram for my specific switches: European Suzuki Bandit GSF650 and European Bird (1997 "XX -V").

2. Euro Bird has 9 wires leading to the connector. I labelled them 1-9 and noted each's colouring. They come from 5 switches (I imaginatively labelled them 1-5 but circled each to denote switch v wire).

3. I matched which wires went to which switches to group wires functionally.

4. Euro Bandit likewise has 9 wires leading to its connector but from 6 switches. The Hazard is the 6th but doesn't need wiring of its own (it's just a different action on the indicator wiring).

So the task was to map the Bird wires 1-9 to the Bandit 9 wires (switch by switch, wire by wire +ve/-ve etc) .

5. In the Bird diagram I simply label the wires at the connector 1-9 (left to right 123456789). On the Bandit diagram that maps to a different order (left to right) i.e. 943567821. This gave me a way to see what Bird coloured wire needs splicing to which Bandit coloured wire e.g. Bird 9 (green) needs splicing to Bandit colour B/Bl (i.e. black with a blue trace). Go through 1-9 gave me a list of wires colour to colour to splice.

6. My extra doodling on my duagrams was to add in my 2nd air horn (yep I have two mounted in the nose cone) and a dash hazard warning triangle light. The hazard triangle is totally redundant as both indicators flashing on the dash does the same job. I just fancied a red triangle too (yet to do it so don't assume I've got it right).

Now looking at the US Bird diagram there's 12 wires not 9. That's Fizzy's point re lighting switch set up differently your side of the pond (in Europe we have a separate parking light whereas it looks like you guys don't so use both indicators instead). If you guys are lucky a US Bandit switch gear may similarly have 12 wires (9 if you've picked up a European one or there only is one globally).

Anyway, the methodology ought to be sound. Good luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Outline of what I did (no guarantee I'm right so follow at your own risk):

1. Downloaded spagehtti diagram for my specific switches: European Suzuki Bandit GSF650 and European Bird (1997 "XX -V").

2. Euro Bird has 9 wires leading to the connector. I labelled them 1-9 and noted each's colouring. They come from 5 switches (I imaginatively labelled them 1-5 but circled each to denote switch v wire).

3. I matched which wires went to which switches to group wires functionally.

4. Euro Bandit likewise has 9 wires leading to its connector but from 6 switches. The Hazard is the 6th but doesn't need wiring of its own (it's just a different action on the indicator wiring).

So the task was to map the Bird wires 1-9 to the Bandit 9 wires (switch by switch, wire by wire +ve/-ve etc) .

5. In the Bird diagram I simply label the wires at the connector 1-9 (left to right 123456789). On the Bandit diagram that maps to a different order (left to right) i.e. 943567821. This gave me a way to see what Bird coloured wire needs splicing to which Bandit coloured wire e.g. Bird 9 (green) needs splicing to Bandit colour B/Bl (i.e. black with a blue trace). Go through 1-9 gave me a list of wires colour to colour to splice.

6. My extra doodling on my duagrams was to add in my 2nd air horn (yep I have two mounted in the nose cone) and a dash hazard warning triangle light. The hazard triangle is totally redundant as both indicators flashing on the dash does the same job. I just fancied a red triangle too (yet to do it so don't assume I've got it right).

Now looking at the US Bird diagram there's 12 wires not 9. That's Fizzy's point re lighting switch set up differently your side of the pond (in Europe we have a separate parking light whereas it looks like you guys don't so use both indicators instead). If you guys are lucky a US Bandit switch gear may similarly have 12 wires (9 if you've picked up a European one or there only is one globally).

Anyway, the methodology ought to be sound. Good luck
Thanks Mate! Haven't had the chance to do any real work on it as still don't have the BB yet. Hopefully will have it B4 end of Feb! Gawd! I've got a crap ton of work to do! Lol In the mean time I'm stockpiling ALL the parts I need for this second build. I WILL POST PICS FOR THIS SECOND BUILD PROJECT. LIKE THE FIRST, WITH A FRESH THREAD AND LOTS OF PICS! SO STAY TUNED!!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts