Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
In that you're a carb BB too fyi I added hazard light functionality via a Suzuki left gear switch which has exactly the same function and layout as my old BB (UK/ Euro version) one but with a factory fresh looking hazard switch.

IMG_20160913_175129_1559905848385.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
Food for thought... Daylight Running Lights (DRLs)
Screenshot_20190606-120213_1559820068641.png
These are the smoked lenses. They also do them in clear. Else if you're happy with your set up you can consider dual colour leds (I can't quite tell if yours are already)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Big fan of your undertail/ brakelight/ Corbin Beetle mod.

Fyi I found the Givi monorail perfect for mounting them with a Givi top box (sufficient clearance for the Bag lids to clear the top box, even my whopping E52) Screenshot_20190606-124242_1559822501709.png

I too have spare Givi panniers for bigger loads. I've not needed to swap over yet so don't know how slick or not it'll be.

I'd love to swap barrels out of the Corbins to Givi ones to be "monokey". Not googled for parts yet. Tried it yourself?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Mallow
Be careful with the Monokey rack mount. It has been known to cause head shake during decel if you release the bars. IE giving your back a bit of stretch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
?? Your location for your horn looks very neat. Any concern re restricting airflow over the cooler behind it especially after installing your custom rad cover? I'm assuming your fan switch is only for the lower main water rad not the oil rad behind your horn.
Bottom of horn is flush with bottom of front cowling. Took some time but I think I got it right! Fan bypass is for the rad. BUT now ya gots me thinking... Will work on adding a fan system for oil cooler! THANKS MAN!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Liking your DIY mirror extenders too. I went one step further and in addition to my extenders added aspherical mirror glass (the type where the tips give a wider angle of view to help reduce/ eliminate blind spots).

View attachment 118649

Found them on eBay specifically for our birds.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/Ausenspiegel-Spiegelglas-Ersatzglas-Motorrad-Honda-CBR-1100-XX-Sport-aspharisch/221226045505?hash=item3382199041:g:CLQAAOxyJ-FRjqr9

Ignore the fact I've added heating elements and turn signals.

WOW! REALLY nice touch! saw this one B4! So it was you! VERY NICE! Was debating at the time I saw this(Didn't have the bird yet...) of doing the same or close to! again nice job!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Have a look at my dash project. The mini gear changer, replacement digital clock/ watch and TPMS may be of interest.

View attachment 118651

The pic is my current design mock up (Photoshop) showing full illumination. In reality most extra lights/ switches will be dark when not in use (so looking more "stock").

The clock is built (arduino project) and the mini gear display ready. Cruise control and voltmeter yet to be tackled.

All other parts are bought and awaiting installation.
Oh! That's going to look GOOD! I like how you changed all lighted symbols!!! Neat! AND just gave me an idea! Would love to see finished product!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
In that you're a carb BB too fyi I added hazard light functionality via a Suzuki left gear switch which has exactly the same function and layout as my old BB (UK/ Euro version) one but with a factory fresh looking hazard switch. View attachment 118655
Oh! SWEET! I want one! LOL! BUT did suzie make it only for their carbed bikes? Did they also make it without choke lever?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Food for thought... Daylight Running Lights (DRLs)
View attachment 118657
These are the smoked lenses. They also do them in clear. Else if you're happy with your set up you can consider dual colour leds (I can't quite tell if yours are already)
Lens are clear with switch back LED's. LEDs are round. U can see them in the pics. Quite happy with set up... For now! May change at a later date.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Big fan of your undertail/ brakelight/ Corbin Beetle mod.

Fyi I found the Givi monorail perfect for mounting them with a Givi top box (sufficient clearance for the Bag lids to clear the top box, even my whopping E52) View attachment 118661

I too have spare Givi panniers for bigger loads. I've not needed to swap over yet so don't know how slick or not it'll be.

I'd love to swap barrels out of the Corbins to Givi ones to be "monokey". Not googled for parts yet. Tried it yourself?
Thanks mate! MMMmmmm.... No I have not. BUT quite happy with wing rack! Solid stable. Givi set as you mentioned are for the big long trips!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure... How bird will react with solo rider with Beetle bags catching wind? high speed wobble? Anyone?
I've only been up to 160mph solo (and two up) with Beetles in place. Solid as a rock (inc with large top box - Givi Maxia E52 - in place). Beetle bags are extremely well designed aerodynamically.

The biggest issue I've ever had was not wind related; the locks rusting. UK has a lot of rain and the locks pointing skyward in their recess just rusted the latch springs away very quickly. I swapped the locks out from the web for better quality ones (more heavily chromed externally with rubber flip sealing caps attached. The caps clash with the original plastic upright "handle" so the handles got ditched). Other point to note is the metal "L"-shaped bracket the latch engages with can get loose and be knocked lower down until the lock finally won't engage with it. Minor one to fix re pushing it up into position and tightening its screws.

The bags make a modest difference re cross winds though naturally the top box does noticeably effect the cross wind profile as you'd expect.

Beetle bags are heavy for what they are so fully loaded (esp with fully loaded top box too) the front end seems a touch lighter on the steering as the balance is altered. Nothing disastrous though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
WOW! REALLY nice touch! saw this one B4! So it was you! VERY NICE!…
Thanks mate. The blind spot reduction is definitely worth it. In their un-mod'd state they're just stick-ons. With the heating elements and turn indicators (neither of which I'm yet convinced are worth the extra work) the mounting will need careful adjustments. One of my other mad projects is to try to make the wing mirrors fold electronically (I filter a lot even with the beetles on).

I'll post pics over on my other threads once I've made further progress. This is your thread about your build. I don't wish to hijack it, just chat re ideas which may be of interest to both our builds and just as valuable swap pitfalls to avoid.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oh! That's going to look GOOD! I like how you changed all lighted symbols!!! Neat! AND just gave me an idea! Would love to see finished product!
I got all the dash lights (standard and customised) plus waterproof switches from "FILN Official Store" on AliExpress. At £1.20-2.50 each they were way more economical than any Western supplier plus they were brilliant with one-off custom requests at no extra charge. The only thing they've struggled with is my request for bi- or tri- coloured leds in waterproof switches.

The 7-segment SMD (surface mounted display) is ultra small/ very thin (<5mm thick and about 1cm tall). It means I can mount it through the gauge face and remote the PCB to anywhere there's space. Soldering is going to be tricky coz of its size but the tech spec sheet allows me to map which of the 10 contacts goes where to replace the 14+ contacts of the much bigger display on the original gear indicator (assuming I've got my voltages and common anode/ cathode choice correct).

I will of course post pics.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I just had a look at your Hurricane. Absolutely gleaming mate! You must have been truly gutted to have it trashed by a hit 'n' run. Thank God you're in one piece!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Finding the choke lever version was the hard task! Soz… from your dash I thought you were a carb BB like me not an EFI.

Here you go non-choke version: https://japan.webike.net/products/21981595.html

I think that's off a suzie GSX1100.
For way less money, buy used Suzuki switchgear off ebay, off of a bandit 1250, this is the same as mallows pic. I did it a couple of years ago. Note: not plug and play, honda multi pin plug must be spliced onto Suzuki loom.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
For way less money, buy used Suzuki switchgear off ebay, off of a bandit 1250, this is the same as mallows pic. I did it a couple of years ago. Note: not plug and play, honda multi pin plug must be spliced onto Suzuki loom.
Thanks Fizzy! Yeah... saw some new going for $155 US. Will definitely get one! Not crazy about having to spice but alas! That's what I gots to do! AND Thanks to you, I found one on ebay for $40 bucks Canadian!! Thank you again Fizzy!

21 - 40 of 135 Posts