·
Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Your welcome

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I didn't check yet Jack's website offer for FH020AA shipped to France.
I was ordering handle barres riser (28mm spacer) Ebay linked to this Shindengen FH020AA.
Anyone have tried this or any opinion is trusted genius part?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Not sure
Jack's complete kit with everything needed is going for 134.00 and he says he's shipping overseas.

·
Registered
701 Posts
PatooNet, looks ok but this is also from the USA. I agree with beestoys, just go with Jack's for $10 more and be 100% certain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I need to ask Jsck, the freight fee adder to France, hopefully customs won't tax me (he should declare Bikers friends' present, no commercial part hihihi

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Back to my story of rebuilt, from summary, time to talk about the brakes, pads and alternative brake rotors.

You remember the maintenance was a disaster on this BB, here are the
Hard-core pictures again...
IMG-20200911-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20200911-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200911-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20200911-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20200911-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200712-WA0002.jpeg

20200723_024855.jpg

Front discs are 4.1mm, good surface, I would run a new set of pad before replacement (after seeing the rotors prices).

Rear disc... only 3.6mm... no way!
Also the last set of rear pad were incorrectly mounted, the caliper never worked parallel, I bought for fair price a complet set of second hand stock caliper to replace it straight away.

Now the rear brake rotor... 160-180€ new...
Second hand... no...
Aftermarket models... reading reading reading on feedback EBC, Arashi...
Finally Arashi, for 180€, a complet set front and rear wawy brake rotor (the price of one rear disk).
Feedback are not bad on them (some front cbrxx forumers).
I decided to give them a try.
Ordered a 2000 model (golden discs) like my stock, from AliExpress.
I ordered from ebay UK, 3 sets of EBC 261HH metal sintered pads to replace all.

Next post for the mounting experience of these Arashi and opinion after 3500 kms.

20200722_195310.jpg
20200722_233255.jpg
20200723_022619.jpg

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Somehow i have totally missed this post :unsure:. Well done PatooNet for persevering on bringing her back to life.
Reg/rec? Buy the best, on bees recommendation i purchased the SH847 from Jacks 2 yrs ago? No issues since apart from a dodgy purchase rewound one, now resolved.
Lithium battery, again buy the best.
Injectors? Professionally cleaned. Don't ultrasonic clear them. Been there. 😢
Those dirty calipers etc? Use this stuff, it works. Dragon's Breath - ValetPRO- Wheel Cleaning Products

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
How do retrieve a saved draft... U changed app, came back, my draft disappeared (I force many save draft as I lose many pages of post!).
Lose 30min writing draft!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Had the same issue a few times now. I try and copy as I go along. It's very frustrating.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Resuming the aftermarket brake rotor Arashi wawy.

I just wanted to try the rear brake rotor first, not the most demanding in case of emergency braking need.

Wawy design/shape like or dislike is personal opinion, not subject to discussion.
5mm thickness and 4.5mm mini stated instead of Honda 4mm mini.
Nice smooth fine grinded surfaces, definitely flat.

Mounting...
First, removed the stock rear disc... spent time to clean the surface underneath the stock disc due to dirty and weel aluminium oxydes. Sand paper smooth to flat aluminium surface.

The Arashi inner diameter could be tighter to match the wheel recess diameter. Not too much play of centering but not tig ht adjusted like engine mechanical parts.
Each bolt hole on the rotor has a recessment diameter for the bolt head to sit done to the remaining disc thicness.
On the Arashi, the recessment is not as deep as original disc (missing perhaps 0.7-1.0mm,) as a result, the bolts heads sit higher once tighten. No danger, tights the disc well to the wheel.
The little problem of the bolts head higher, when I placed the wheel back to the swing arm, the bolts heads touch a specific area of the caliper.
Each bolt does touch, by analysing the consequences, I decided to "grind" the aluminium area of the caliper by turning the wheel, each bolt head slicing a fraction of metal. The bolt head are so strong, aluminium just been machined well.
Removed maybe 0.8mm, the heads don't touch anymore.
I repeat, I analysed the situation before taking this decision.
Look on this picture of a spare caliper, show you where the heads ripped out a little alu.
0.8mm not far enough to erase the 1/2 circle of aluminium.
20201008_224549.jpg

This was the only little issue during the mount.

3500 kms after, how they are?
Well, rear brake on CBR XX with Dual CBS... not the best system to check how the rear brake slow down the bike by pressing foot pedal... as you know, press strong, even one piston each front caliper linked activation vs 2 pistons activation on rear caliper, front taking advantage on back braking.
I would say, they are doing their job, not more not less than stock rear disc.
My normal usage of the BB (no race track, no open road race, no mountain demanding conditions) it make no difference for my opinion. When I needed stronger braking, I can feel the rear disc is doing his job too but front again is the main stopper.
Finally this is a huge success because this Arashi front and rear set costs the price of one a stock rear disk (if I could afford a full set of stock rotos... I would do it but I can't, you saw my list of parts for the rebuilt...).

If some more experimented driver tried same Arashi discs with EBC 261HH (same disc with different pads would drive to different results I suppose), please comment as I don't want to be the one when write they are good but they are not finally.

Below 3500 kms after. Like new (normal for such low millage). You see the surface trace of aluminium deposite on the bolts heads, superficial deposited.

I will post the same test when comes the need to change the front rotors... More critical than the rear.

20201007_232155.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
A little precision regarding the term of "machining the caliper aluminium with the screw heads..."
It is a not a motorised machining... I just turn by hand the rear wheel, each time a screw head touch the caliper, a micro slice of alu is ripped out, like machining process...
Please do not imagine I put on center stand, runs 1st gear and gind the caliper such way... Yeah, just a little precision, makes huge difference... lol

81 - 94 of 94 Posts