Honda CBR XX Forum banner

miles on my carb:

carburetor adjustment

25K views 61 replies 14 participants last post by  rmjg 
#1 ·
my dealer told me the XX-carbs can´t be adjusted, just changed when worn out. right now i´ve 56.000 miles (90.500km) on the bike.
is that right? :crap:

the book doesn´t tell much about that.

#6 ·
If the main throttle shaft is worn like an egg and you have air/vacuum leaks new carbs are in order if not get a second set rebuild/re-jet those and install/sink. Throttle shaft runs the length of both banks of carbs. Crap gas with neglect can also kill carbs. Keep us up on you progress. I would do a lot on my old carbs before getting new ones. How much are they $1000.00 or so ?

#7 ·
I always like to have a back-up around just in case something goes wrong. Once you rebuild a set of carbs correctly. All your friends will be coming to you for your service. Make them do the hard part, pulling them off the bike. I've done lots of sets but the only thing you can't fix on carb's is a worn out main/throttle shaft. I have had success with drilling them out and re-sealing them but they seem to only last half as long as new ones. I hope I've been of some help. :patriot: :thumb:

#10 ·
If the carbs haven't been run over by a car or dropped from a great height they should be re-buildable. Take your time doing the first carb slow and exact, then do the same three more times. You'll have a lot of fun. I do feel a little guilty but I'll get over it. Good Luck :thumb: I think I'll buy a set and re-build them. I want to see if the if I can reseal worn out throttle shafts like I use to do with import carborator cars. Sound like I too have a project on my hands. Besides I know they will work better than flat slide carbs, I can't believe how they rattle and shutter at low speed. I guess for racing they work but not ever day in stop and go traffic. Keep us posted :)

#11 ·
hey guys if you could just let me know what are the symptoms of needing carbs rebuilt, im kinda a newbie so it would be nice to know...
Thanks!

#12 ·
hey guys if you could just let me know what are the symptoms of needing carbs rebuilt...
  • you open your throttle wide at 1500rpm and it doesnt accellerate it only gets loud

• you climb some mountain and the higher you get the less you can open your throttle - otherwise it´s the same like in the first point
the fact is: it runs too fat. too much gasoline.

#13 ·
I never needed mine rebuilt in over 184,000km. Resynched when serviced, yes, but never rebuilt. Have you had a dyno run to get an exhaust analysis to see if it is just lean or rich somewhere? Could just be worn needles which should be replaceable with OEM or at worst with a jet kit.

#17 ·
Heisti, have you checked your chokes to make sure the butterflies are completely open? Perhaps it needs adjusting?

#20 ·
Well, you'll have lots of time in a week or so, I guess. Let us know.

#22 ·
But replacing the carbs is something you'll squeeze in between doing the dishes and taking out the trash?

#24 ·
Heisti, if you strip the carbs enough to get the needles out, they should be smooth with no notches or shiney(er) signs of wear. The jets should be perfectly round & not oval at all. I'm not a carb expert, but I have stripped & rebuilt a couple of banks, so any experts feel free to add info or corrections here! :)

Might also just be dirt clogging something up. I've had a bit of success with a couple that couldn't be balanced by giving them 1/2 hour in an ultrasonic cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.