Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is this topic around here, please delete my thread! I think I asked some time ago somewhere but could not find my place... me new here! :smilebig:

I want to get me a bird as soon as I put all the cash together... So I would appreciate you guys if you could either post here or point me to a place that gives me the advantages of carburators or injection, as well as the down side of each of them. Fuel mileage, mantainance, sporty -er, cold weather start up.... so on.

Thank you guys?

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Me have Fi and like
Me Also like the uda 1 the Carbi
Fi no touch
Carbi likes touch and play,and must demonstrate knowledge to tune.
But Blue F1 One Very Fast.

·
Registered
404 Posts
cheers Sergiu

I would primarily choose depending on how many kilometers the bike has, and how the overall shape is.
I own an FI one, but woulnd't mind owning a carbie as well. the only important thing is, that the bird has the right colour.
BLACK :cool:

Mikey

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would get FI b/c you can dyno tune it. Also they have Ram air. I dont like catalysts and emission stuff though on later bikes, but with a full 4-1 exhaust and dyno tune should be fine.

I have have a carb'd bike and it runs fine but I like the idea of tuning with a computer as apposed to tuning by trial and error with jetting.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Once you understand how carbs work. They are pretty easy to deal with. For the Balckbird. Idle to 4K, adjust the mixture screws on the bottom. 4-7K is the mid range. This is the needle settings. 7K to redline. This is the main jets. Solve the 3 pieces and your good to go. Other than that. FI and a computer.

·
Registered
291 Posts
COPIED FROM INTRANET NOT MY CONTENT

Carbs and FI both do the exact same things. They atomize fuel, and mix it with incoming air. How much AIR is added is controlled by the throttle position. How much FUEL is added depends on the carb or fuel injection computer.

Fuel injection systems have sensors that determine throttle position, vacuum, air temp, exahust O2 content, and any number of other factors. You feed all of this info into the computer. Using this information, they can adjust how much fuel is added to the air to give you the best performance. FI systems can adjust much better to different air temps, altitudes, fuels, etc..A good example is that a FI bike will usually start better in cold weather than a carb bike.

Carbs do all of the same stuff, but they are all mechanical. They are directly controlled by the vacuum in the intake. The vacuum pulls air past a venturi, which is used to pull fuel into the intake, and atomize it. The jets and needles control how much fuel you get for a given amount of air flow. (i.e., a given throttle position) Since they can't really sense ALL of the factors, they can't always adjust very well to changing air temps, altitudes, etc.

Now, in MOST cases, mechanical systems can respond quicker to changes than electrical systems. So, for a long time, carb systems were much smoother on throttle response than FI systems. There's always a little delay on the electrical system to sense the changes and adjust. The manufacturers are finding ways to overcome that (better sensors, faster FI computers, different throttle configurations), so FI is starting to become "the norm".

MY WORDS

When carb bikes are running bad. They run BAD. I have had carbs rebuilt before on my gsx(quad carb) I didnt think the cost was too bad..and the difference wow very instant
response. Rode a couple of FI bikes and can have a hickup or lag but depends on the bike I guess. Never riden a FI bird so cant comment

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys!
I know how the carb functions. I was looking on performance/throttle response (witch I got), what about mileage and reliability?

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
My 02 FI Bird has good throttle response, excellent reliability, longevity and runs fine at altitude. I also bought it new in a box. I wouldn't buy a carbed bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Milage is going to be right wrist dependant.. I get on average 320klm from a tank (i still have reserve left of about 50k's) but nutter who has a PCIII and aftermarket exhausts has commented that he can get as low as 160klm. (FI bikes have a larger tank by the way)

reliability from an admin on this forums point i view, i see slightly more threads relating to the carb bikes than the FI's but to put that into perspective then the carb bikes are the older bikes and with age comes some issues, (not sufficient to put me off buying a carb bike though.)

Most of the answers you get here are going to be personal opinion. although the carbed bikes are claimed to have a top speed the FI bikes are supposed to have higher torque at lower revs (a result of re-designed headers).

I have quipped before that this question is very much like another..... "do you prefer women with large or small breasts"

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
I have quipped before that this question is very much like another..... "do you prefer women with large or small breasts"[/QUOTE]

As long as they have breasts, I'm OK.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, my question was adressed to neurons, not hormons... You seam to miss your wife or something. Mine is in the hospital, she just delivered my 3rd child/boy btw.

I was thinking on FI bike, and I believe is going to stay that way. My intention is not to mess with tunning.... I like the sound with stock cans, hope to get it by the end of next year...

Thank you for your help, I knew is going to be personal opinion, looking on the tehnical aspect as well, so thanks guys. If you have more on the subject, bring it on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts