1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background
Have a spare set of carb instruments with dual mph / km facia
I have a german 99 efi with just km fascia
Ill probably take the bike to uk in the future and so for the MOT inspection a mph fascia would be required

As far as i can tell the connections are equivalent and just the stand light becomes the efi warning light on the 99
So the question is
It it plug and play fittable on the 99 efi?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If you have some damnable crap like HISS on the bike, I wouldn't touch it with a pole.

Here in the US, with no security system built in, the gauge packs are identical for all analog years except that the carb versions have a yellow S indicator, and the FI has a red F indicator. I have no expertise in any XX but North American models, so do anything based on what information I offer at your own peril.

The gauge cover is easily swapped if you have one with the correct colored lens for your application.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super thanks for the reply
The efi inatrument has a little key light that the carb has not i guess that is not an impediment?
Paul

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Second Ixxion's statement there is a gent on a thread here in the states trying to get a HISS dash to work on a non HISS setup and he's having tach issues. If you stay in the continental families IE North American, UK, Australian and HISS or non HISS you should be safe. But as Ix alluded too enter at your own risk.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Rather than swap the cluster or even gauge(s), can't you just swap the facia of the dial, the kph one for the mph/kph? There's certainly aftermarket facias out there too so it would seem possible (if not straight forward).

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
The efi inatrument has a little key light that the carb has not i guess that is not an impediment?
The key light on the efi is for the HISS on the carbie that was the sidestand light.
Ill probably take the bike to uk in the future and so for the MOT inspection a mph fascia would be required
I have been checking the regulations recently and there is no requirement (that I have found) that requires the clock to read in MPH (important since my XL600 came from France originally). In fact no checks are made on the speedo. Have a look HERE.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI Duck
Thanks for the mot reg info
In that case ill just stick an overlay arrow with the 30 40 50 70 mph limits as that will stop mr from getting flashed...
Paul

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Rather than swap the cluster or even gauge(s), can't you just swap the facia of the dial, the kph one for the mph/kph? There's certainly aftermarket facias out there too so it would seem possible (if not straight forward).
I guess the only issue is if the 2 gauges are calibrated the same as far as the markings? Ie 20mph=32kmh, 40mph=64kmh, 60mph=96kmh etc rather than say going 30/65/100 or something like that :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Yes they would be if they were patterned of a stock gauge

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
🤔 Hhmm! My clocks have 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 on them, never stopped me from getting flashed 😇
That's because you aren't paying attention to where they are in relation to the needle thing. Your supposed to be to the left of them for the most of the time.😁

Reactions: woodwizard

·
Super Moderator
12,595 Posts
Jim, go faster. Loads more numbers on there.
I developed a 'cunning plan' when I was commuting in the dark. The right hand dash light bulb failed so I could only see the left hand side.
See the needle means I'm wasting time commuting.
Don't see the needle means good progress is being made.

Can life be any more simple?

Reactions: Mallow1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts