my bike came with grotty chinky black led mirrors
id like to fit the oem but they are as rare as hens teeth
any going for reasonable money?
greetings
paul

·
Registered
319 Posts
Good Luck cbrpaul. Feel your pain. Last year needed to buy one stock Blacl RH mirror. Found it at Revzilla on Fleabay. About $150. Whole Red Fairing kit from China only cost me a little over double that. Hope someone here has some for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Paul,

Did you have any luck with this? I might have a potential solution for you although ironically it's got a bit of a chinky twist to it! I'm a British guy who lives in Hong Kong and the mirrors on my own BB are a bit scratched but apart from that they are whole. I know a really first class factory in China who can make copies out of carbon fibre. All I have to do is unbolt the originals from my bike and they can make a mould from them. You would then have 3 choices - make carbon fibre mirrors with the carbon weave finish, carbon fibre mirrors but you can spray them back to the original colour and they should look identical and actually be stronger than the originals, or I might be able to get them to make a pair out of fibre-glass.

If you're interested then let me know. I will need to check on mould cost and cost of the finished product but I'm estimating maybe USD300 per pair and if any other members see this and have interest we can split the cost between more of us. I can verify fit an finish before shipping out and take pics of the mirrors mounted on my own BB here in Hong Kong.

If this works well, I would also consider making other trim parts in carbon fibre.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
328 Posts
… if any other members see this and have interest we can split the cost between more of us...
Hi Dave,
I would have been interested about a year ago when I bought a full fairing set from an HK supplier. One thing they couldn't do was offer wing mirror cowls (nor seat grab rail). I did Fleabay for used set and painted them up myself (@ about $35 each all in) though the risk was me trying to colour match to the HK fairing.

Idea for you: I can't be the only guy buying a bird fairing set miff'd it didn't include the mirror cowls.

Either try putting the fairing guys in touch with your manufacturer so they create mould and offer cowls via the fairing suppliers else do it yourself and offer the cowls directly to the fairing guys.

I used Auctmarts and in all other respects they were excellent (they even tried to source wing morrorr cowls as a one off but the cost compared to the full fairing set didn't make it viable for them or me).

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Mallow1,
Thanks for your input. I agree, there's got to be others out there that need these parts and I only need a few people to get interested to make it worthwhile. If there was sufficient demand I might even go on to making a full fairing set out of carbon fibre but don't have the budget to do that all in one go. At this stage though, I could throw in the grab handle as that is a relatively small and simple part.
Hope more people see this and I look forward to any comments or suggestions. Suggested price is not fixed but the final product will be of a very high quality and stronger than the original product and better than any knock off. The biggest cost is in the mould making. Once I have that covered, I can produce small quantities on demand for reasonable cost. As well as grey carbon fibre weave, might be able to do carbon weave in other colours too, such as blue, red or yellow and for those on a budget I can do them in fibreglass.
It also does seem odd that the fairing suppliers can offer everything apart from the mirror cowls and wonder why that is. If all the hysteria over the latest virus is anything to go by we'll probably all be dead by this time next week and we'll never know.
Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,
I would have been interested about a year ago when I bought a full fairing set from an HK supplier. One thing they couldn't do was offer wing mirror cowls (nor seat grab rail). I did Fleabay for used set and painted them up myself (@ about $35 each all in) though the risk was me trying to colour match to the HK fairing.

Idea for you: I can't be the only guy buying a bird fairing set miff'd it didn't include the mirror cowls.

Either try putting the fairing guys in touch with your manufacturer so they create mould and offer cowls via the fairing suppliers else do it yourself and offer the cowls directly to the fairing guys.

I used Auctmarts and in all other respects they were excellent (they even tried to source wing morrorr cowls as a one off but the cost compared to the full fairing set didn't make it viable for them or me).

Cheers Mallow1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts