Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like my cam chain is a bit rattily at about 5000 ripem's.

I removed the tensioner and it's a 2 green spot one, think that's the updated one? The spring pressure felt good and there were no slack spots in the extendable bit range of motion, however..

I wound the plunger back in and installed it, pulled out the screwdriver and I heard it zing out, started the engine and it was good but still a bit clattery (it's tricky to describe the sound of the cam chain flicking back and forth but it doesn't sound like anything else) once the revs rise.

Took the tensioner out again and with a big screwdriver I could put pressure on the blade/follower and in doing so the engine would be silent so I know that that is definitely the issue.

I put the tensioner back in and I could extend the plunger a bit further by turning the screwdriver the opposite way that you would to retract/install. When I did, the engine would quieten down but while the engine was running, the screwdriver would slowly rotate back to the position it was in before and of course the rattle would come back. I was under the impression that the tensioner couldn't do that, that once it was extended, by either the chain stretching or being manually wound, it couldn't back itself off? I got this on video and am trying to upload so you can see.

I have ordered what looks like a good quality manual tensioner and will install it so that the rattle is quieter but not tensioned to the point where the idle speed starts to drop, does that sound reasonable?

Tensioner link Honda CBR1100 manual cam chain tensioner adjuster new mcct blackbird cbr1100xx | eBay

Sorry for the lengthy post, just putting it out there to more experienced riders who have done this to share their experience. Cheers.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks to BeesToys, I am informed that the CCT can be disassembled, 1 turn added to the clock spring, and reassembled, thus giving it a second life. From memory, the spring had 10 turns on it, so I went to 11. Not to be confused with

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Yep got 5 of them here modified with 12 turns. Still have the one in there that started rattling like 50,000 plus miles ago. Kinda lost track as I'm at 208,000 now so it might actually be closer to 70,000 or better.🤗

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
Nope.

·
Super Moderator
8,999 Posts
On a manual one yes.

But the spring tension on the automatic ones can't generate enough tension to cause a stretch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts