Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, İ am planning to check my valves in a few days. According to Honda's repair manual İ must have a stopper tool (page 99), and remove the cylinder head cover and turn the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft fully and must secure it with this tool. İt is a simple key like piece of metal which İ already build. But in haynes manual and on youtube no one ever use this tool. Did someone used this tool? Is it an obligation? If so what is the mission of this tool? Thanx.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The tool is used to wind the plunger away from the chain and lock it there. Can use a small flat screwdriver but it's tricky. Google blackbird cam chain tensioner for pics of the tool. You can make one from a small flat piece of metal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi guys, İ am planning to check my valves in a few days. According to Honda's repair manual İ must have a stopper tool (page 99), and remove the cylinder head cover and turn the cam chain tensioner lifter shaft fully and must secure it with this tool. İt is a simple key like piece of metal which İ already build. But in haynes manual and on youtube no one ever use this tool. Did someone used this tool? Is it an obligation? If so what is the mission of this tool? Thanx.
im checking my valve clearances soon im 100% no tool required ?? are you thinking of the removal tool for the process of removing the cct..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tool is used to wind the plunger away from the chain and lock it there. Can use a small flat screwdriver but it's tricky. Google blackbird cam chain tensioner for pics of the tool. You can make one from a small flat piece of metal.
I already made one, but is it necessary to use it? Haynes manual didn't mention it and never saw a video on youtube about this tool on any line 4 motors. I just want to learn that people use it or not?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im checking my valve clearances soon im 100% no tool required ?? are you thinking of the removal tool for the process of removing the cct..
No i am not going to change the cct. I don't hear any annoying noise on motor and my cct is a double green dotted one (upgraded version). This tool is referred in the valve adjustment part on section 3-12 of repair manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Leave the CCT as is. The only time you'll need the tool is if you have pull the cams to change the shims. Then the extra slack helps with removing the sprockets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leave the CCT as is. The only time you'll need the tool is if you have pull the cams to change the shims. Then the extra slack helps with removing the sprockets.
Thanks, now I get it. It is so logical. 👍. Already made the tool, incase of a shim change I am going to use it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I second that..... remove the plugs so you can rotate the cams easily (I put mine in a gear and bump them round to measure the clearances - haven't done it for a while but I think you need the cam lobe pointing 90deg away from the spark plug holes). Only tool needed to check clearances is a feeler gauge!.....but it is a big job to dig down to a bare head, and you may find you didn't need to look if you have been doing regular oil changes.

For example, my valve clearances hadn't changed over the 114,000kms it took for me to wear out the oem CC & T, although, one valve set is more prone to wear than the others at those mileages - that will be the exhaust valves on the cylinder beside the cam chain...... mine were still just in spec, but I took the opportunity to change them while the cams were out for the new cam chain & tensioner install, so that pair is now slightly wider than spec, but will wear back in slowly over time. I don't intend to check my valves for another 100,000kms as I know from doing it every 24,000kms from new, that none changed (with 6k km oil change intervals and med-hard but not abusive riding) until 100k kms.

(y)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I am going to wait a little bit longer. Bike doesn't have a problem. No sign of a wear, ticking or bad cct marble sound. I think I am getting bored of covid-19 and need to repair something for a piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
8,146 Posts
Of you do a compression and leak down test and everything is good I agree leave it be. 199,000 on mine and I haven't had to change a shim yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
:LOL:...... don't let us talk you out of some mechanical therapy!....... You could shout it some new plugs, blow the dust out of the airfilter, adjust the chain, change the oil and filter, or just give it a wash if nothing is due at the moment......

Brake and clutch fluids go 'off' regardless of usage (or lack of usage like my BB) so they might need changing. Same for the coolant....... errr that reminds me, mine is due for coolant and plugs and brake fluid.....:whistle:

I'm assuming your BB has enough kms/miles on it to need a clearance check at some stage, so it may be worth while checking them now and recording them for future reference.... just so long as you have the skills to put it all back together again. Trust me, you don't want to go all the way back in again to fix an error.

(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts