Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wondering if any genius can help, got a cbr1100xx on 07 plate, got a rattle can noise coming from the engine at idle sounds like cam chain rattling.
The bike is fitted with a manual cam chain tensioner but it does not seem to disappear the noise when tightened.
The chain has18k on it so surely that can't be lose.
I'm thinking possibly the plastic runners may be loose or worn.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jas

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry in advance for typing stuff you mite already know, but, does the noise go away when the bike has warmed up?. If you pull thd clutch in and hold it in, does it change the noise in any ways?
I've never used a manual tensioner my self so iam not much use there.
If you just blip the throttle ever so slightly off idle does it make any difference in the noise.
I've had bikes with the automatic tensioner's and there springs going week with age before around that mileage, but hmmm manual tensioner.
Your cam chain should be fine though, unless it's been over tenshioned over time,,,, that can be a problem with the manual type, but still 18k miles is nothing really.
Oh and 1 last thing, did you fit the tensioner?, or was it the previous owner? And why? Did the previous owner have a cam chain noise also in the past hmmm. How many owners has your bike had?.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dear Bikerian, Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Even when warm the rattle is still there at low rev just around 1200rpm.
When I blip the throttle it does go away.
I will try the clutch and revert back result.
I fitted a manual one after reading some threads on it.
I think 2 pervious owners.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
It's also possible your balance shafts might need to be adjusted, although you've not done many miles.
I had to adjust my balance shafts at 60k miles.
As Bikerian said, a bit of rattle from the clutch is common but should go away when the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dear Bikerian, Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Even when warm the rattle is still there at low rev just around 1200rpm.
When I blip the throttle it does go away.
I will try the clutch and revert back result.
I fitted a manual one after reading some threads on it.
I think 2 pervious owners.
Thanks again.
You can usually tell if its cam chain by just bliping the throttle a few times above idle, to say 3000revs and let go, then repeating it a few times, it will usually makes a weird skipping grinding noise if the chain is to loose, but hold the clutch lever in as well, so you don't get confused with any clutch rattle.
How long have you had the manual tensioner in for?
Oh and what revs does your bird Idle at, i set mine to just under 1200 revs, mines a 2004 uk bird.

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
The chain has18k on it so surely that can't be lose.
I'm thinking possibly the plastic runners may be loose or worn.
I waited until just under 100K miles before I changed the cam chain and sliders on one of my Birds. In reality I would have been happy to put the old ones back in there was so little wear, but I had new parts to hand.
I have never heard of a slider coming loose.
I would be very surprised if these were the causes of your problem unless the manual tensioner has been really overtightened in the past.

Reactions: J44ssd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your right guys just fired her up, when you press the clutch the rattle disappears, but comes back when you let go.
A lot of us run idle higher than 1200 for that reason. Rattly idle at that rpm is common.
It seems like a common issue, I will for time being just set it higher.
Thanks for all your help chaps the biker Community is something really special.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Aaaah, crutch rattle..... :LOL:....... that makes sense........ if it was the CCT you know straight away, no doubts, it's very noisy and it doesn't go away with revs.......

I got to 114k kms (about 72k mls) with my original CCT and chain before the death rattle came on loud and clear. My mechanic (& myself) forgot to order new chain sliders..... but the original ones were still good so we used them. Next time eh?

I also run a 1200rpm idle ;).

When I do a throttle body synchro my Bird runs sweet through the revs :D.... now that reminds me....... :LOL:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaaah, crutch rattle..... :LOL:....... that makes sense........ if it was the CCT you know straight away, no doubts, it's very noisy and it doesn't go away with revs.......

I got to 114k kms (about 72k mls) with my original CCT and chain before the death rattle came on loud and clear. My mechanic (& myself) forgot to order new chain sliders..... but the original ones were still good so we used them. Next time eh?

I also run a 1200rpm idle ;).

When I do a throttle body synchro my Bird runs sweet through the revs :D.... now that reminds me....... :LOL:
Wow Dave these Birds definitely can do some mileage that's Honda build quality I guess

·
BirdDog
572 Posts
Just a suggestion but I’d go back to an OEM Honda double green dot CCT. My ‘97 with over 150,000 miles has zero rattle after warm up…and I can dial her back to 9-1100rpm with zero rattle. Everything still original internally!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your right guys just fired her up, when you press the clutch the rattle disappears, but comes back when you let go.

It seems like a common issue, I will for time being just set it higher.
Thanks for all your help chaps the biker Community is something really special.
Dont be rushing out and replaycing these lol but, I changed my clutch springs oem and it seemed to quite the clutch down, mine had 30,000 miles 2004.
I measured them and they were just still inspec, but 16 years old, thought it was time for a change and gave me the opportunity to look in side her for a check over.
I know a lot of people say it's the large engagement sprocket riveted to the back of the clutch basket, and the dampening springs that make the noise, because over time the rivets can wiggle free ever so slightly, but still, it did make a noise difference just changing my clutch springs.
But all that being said, you have nothing to worry about even if you have a slightly noisy clutch basket, it's still safe, so you could just leave it alone.
Oh and +1 on the suggestion about refitting a new oem double green dot tensioner, what i normally do though is get some molybdenum grease and engine oil in a clean jam jar mix it together and apply it to the inner ratchet mechanism, let it extend and retract it a few times, then fit it to the engine, that way I know it's not going to start sticking, but that's just me lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a suggestion but I’d go back to an OEM Honda double green dot CCT. My ‘97 with over 150,000 miles has zero rattle after warm up…and I can dial her back to 9-1100rpm with zero rattle. Everything still original internally!
Hi, I took you suggestion and placed the OEM cct back in and there is definitely cam chain rattle when reved up to 5000. Took it out looked like the cct was fully extended so assumption it is faulty. Put the manual one back in hand tightened and then just a little more with spanner and no cam chain rattle.
Just left with the irritating clutch rattle when revs hit below 1200.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, I took you suggestion and placed the OEM cct back in and there is definitely cam chain rattle when reved up to 5000. Took it out looked like the cct was fully extended so assumption it is faulty. Put the manual one back in hand tightened and then just a little more with spanner and no cam chain rattle.
Just left with the irritating clutch rattle when revs hit below 1200.
Your original one will probably have a weak spring by now any ways with age.
When you took it out, did you stop it fully extending? Because if you took it out with the end bolt in, it would have carried on extending as you back it out.
If you look at the tensioner shafts you should be able to see a sort of polished bit so far down, where it's been sat over time in 1 position against the tensioner body it protrudes from. Any ways, if your happy with your manual one, just stick with it, or you will have to by a new 2 green dotted oem one.
Does your old one have 1 or 2 green dots?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts