Honda CBR XX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
... many happy years of riding ahead.
Thank you.
I'm struggling to let it sink in. I've actually done it.
To you guys it might just be another bike. To me it's a bucket list item. Writing this at 5AM, sleepless, I'm reflecting on 'why now?'. The logical explanation is that my company is closing (long story) and we've all been laid off. Because I've got 20 years of seniority, the compensation will pay for the bike. Nice. But that's not it. I'm starting to tick off bucket list items, for crying out loud...
There's a saying; "Old men go raging into the night". Am I getting old?

Sod it! He who dares not, wins not.

Martin! Wake up!! Focus on getting a grip on your inner teenager and get busy learning to commandeer this utterly lethal machinery in a grown up manner.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Martin! Wake up!! Focus on getting a grip on your inner teenager and get busy learning to commandeer this utterly lethal machinery in a grown up manner.
Hah that statement is going out the window the first time your leg swings over and you get a space to let it roll out. Be aware of the kick at 5k and again 7k. It's not gonna take it very long after that to hit the rev limiter at 10.5

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
You'll be fine. She can feel a little heavy but she will respond. It's one of the good things about this generation of ride. It won't put you in situation and leave you hanging. If your getting near her limits she will push back and tell you. The linked brake system is a big help hauling her down controlled. You have experience and a riding brain already. Trust your instincts and she'll take care of you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
an xx is super light compared to the ( german words translated ") fattie" cbr1000f which i still have
by gum that is a real lump

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hah that statement is going out the window the first time ...
Aaaand out the window it went!

Entering mway, the onramp becomes a launch-rail and going 200 km/h as I slip into the traffic is no problem. It's mental!
The whole thing boils down to one word: Effortless.

I'm dumbfounded.

Thank you all for getting me to where I am now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have a lot of fun with the new toy
Unfortunately for the coming weeks you will be sealed in Dk
As i am now in benelux
Guess normality will come back in 14 to 16 weeks
Bycthen everybody will have been through it

·
Registered
57 Posts
The deed has been done. I'm now the owner of one red '98 Blackbird. Sometime late next week I hope to take possession of a newly MoT'ed bike fitted with a brand new license plate. Dealer also threw in an extra tire 'on the house' - I'm assuming this will be a rear tire :devilish:

While I was there, I asked him about VFR risers. He replied dryly "In stock!" and gave me that 'what did you expect?' - look.

Happy days!
good job yull love it thats a very very nice bird !!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
That thing looks virtually unused!!! You need to deal with that.😆
It looks that way because my dealer is a bit unusual:

He's collecting those...

On the subject of 'dealing with that': Yes. I'll go about that in a methodical way. Read the users manual. Poke, prod and explore tentatively. At least that's the idea, but as @beestoys knew, it's going to be hard to find the restraint.

As a pure coincident, I'm attending an introductory 'safe-on-2-wheels'-event with a pal who's just got his first bike (a kwak ZL600). Now, it actually takes on a new meaning. And in May, I'm going to Harz, Germany with a group of other bikers. That should be a return to olden days, as it was my first 'real' touring destination seven years ago. Much has happened since, and now I'm coming full circle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oops ...... didn't realize there were three pages to the thread.......

That RED Bird still looks like new from 3mtrs....... just like mine at 15yo and 130,000kms........ that's a good sign!

Wow, used vehicle prices in Denmark....... next time I get into my 2018 Hyundai Tucson I'll consider the $33k Aus I paid (new price) to be the bargain of the century........

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
<snip> still looks like new from 3mtrs.......
It isn't. No first-examination is all-revealing, and I'm discovering little things here and there as I spend time with her.

A crack near one of the fairing screws. A wear mark. One can seems to be less shiny than the other from a certain angle. Last night I found that one of the dashboard bulbs (one under the red rev-area) was out.

I'm a headlight-fetichist (or -aficionado if you like) and had the bike out on mway to see if the high beam would match the bike's capabilities. Okay - it's fairly pencil-beam-like and that is good. Lowbeam clearly needs to be addressed though; Yellowish dim - utter crap compared to the cold, hard, sharp-cutoff, all-business stuff on my CB500.

I'll get those things fixed. Personalisation has begun and I'm settling in, one little item after another.

The midnight missile emerges :devilish:

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Storm
HID or LED's will fix the headlight woes. Also switch over to LED t10 bulbs for the dash indicators. Makes a huge difference on the visibility of the gauges.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cheers stormbringer....... (hope that title doesn't mean it rains everytime you go for a ride :D).

Much easier to replace the high and low beam bulbs (both single filament H7 from memory) to some brighter white extra lumens halogen type...... LED conversion bulbs have been known to scatter the beam and create dull spots (their focal lengths don't match the standard headlight Halogen reflector lens shape.... maybe this has changed with newer LEDs but you will blind oncoming drivers if they can't comply with lighting standards).

HID takes too long to warm up so it's only good for constant low beam as high beam needs to be dipped/come on fast when needed.

I have seen some Birds on the road with the low beam wiring swapped to the high beam bulb (the bottom lamp) for looks (?) so they must only ride in daylight hours as they would have no high beam capability at night..... maybe they just got the plugs mixed up so be careful to keep them separate. Low beam is the top lamp, high beam is at the bottom. They are awkward to get to, but it can be done..... I have changed bulbs but I find removing the screen and the panels under the dash helps with access.

The headlight is quite good - BUT - it is old school and has a very sharp level cutoff so when you roll into a corner you only see the blackness of the night looking where you want to go, and the eyes of possums in trees (where you don't want to go!:ROFLMAO:). I'm not sure if you can mount some extra lights that might spread some light up into the corners as you lean into them........ my 2017SDGT has 'cornering' LEDs from standard, to suppliment it's halogen headlight and they work as I lean in to the turn and go off when vertical ...... very handy!

Also, a few cracks and smudges on a near 20 yo body is expected...... though it looks like new(ish) in the photo, so that's a sign of some decent care from the previous owner...... if I look closely at my 15yo 2005 I will find some blemishes from 130,000kms of riding and servicing activity..... but it still looks new to a non bike riding person :).

(y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Much easier to replace the high and low beam bulbs to some brighter white extra lumens halogen type...... LED conversion bulbs have been known to scatter the beam
Done that now. Being used to a oldskool 7" round reflector on my CB500, it's a pig to get at the bulbs underneath the instrument cluster. I dread to perform this on a rainy night in a mway layby...
LEDs; Oh, I'm way ahead of you. Did this investigation back in 2015, proceded the investigation recently and ended up buying a dedicated LED headlight unit for my CB500. On the subject of drop-in-replacement LED bulbs, I've found this supplier that sells GTR lighting Ultra 2 H7 'bulbs'. They appear to base their recommendations on real-life testing rather than marketing mumbo-jumbo. Me like.
I have seen some Birds on the road with the low beam wiring swapped to the high beam bulb (the bottom lamp) for looks (?) so they must only ride in daylight hours as they would have no high beam capability at night
Huh? That'd mean constant high beam, what with the beam pattern being determined by the reflector bowl. Oh well.
Also, a few cracks and smudges on a near 20 yo body is expected......
Try telling your average 20-year-old woman that...
if I look closely at my 15yo 2005 I will find some blemishes from 130,000kms of riding and servicing activity.....
If that's all, you're a bike-caring kinda person. Great. The world is full of twats, disrespectful of the engineering and craftsmanship that went into creating these fine machines. Want an example? Arab drift...

·
Registered
168 Posts
in the eu , if you have an annual inspection, or a friendly local police cruiser and they see a ultra white light , you will be pulled over and fined, and may have to remove it on the sport , or be towed away
so far i have stayed legal with the nightbreakers unlimited
but i guess that as led technology advances and makes its way into ordinary cars that this ban will gradually be lifted
in any case the cost for this conversion is much more than i would want to pay out for
i can buy a pair of nightbreaker h7s for 15 quid at a friendly importer in the uk near redditch
so all my bikes and cars a so fitted

41 - 60 of 60 Posts