Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Firstly, LOVE this site! Love the bike, so a site dedicated to it is immediately a winner!

I'm about to buy my first 'bird, and I'd like to get any advice I can about buying a 2nd hand 'bird from people who have already done it themselves.

I live in Australia and the market has early 2000 'birds at around 6k - 7k with between 35k and 55k klms (20k and 35k miles).
There's a few with about 90k klms (60k miles), all touring klms with full service history and set up as touring bikes for around $5k.

What should I be looking out for? How many klms is too many? Is there a point in mileage where major components of the bike need replacing or major servicing?

Itching to buy a bike and start exploring the countryside, but I want to get it right.

Appreciate any help!

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi,

Im from Sydney and bought my bird about 8mths ago. it was a low klm, 18,000klm 2001 bike and I bought it with 12mths rego for $6500, and it had a few extras, helmet, rack, bag, cover.
Ive had no big issues with mine yet, some minor ones....indicators stopped working (only when cold) but all i had to do was clean the contacts in the switch, ive changed the cam chain tensioner.

Good luck, what a bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi,

Im from Sydney and bought my bird about 8mths ago. it was a low klm, 18,000klm 2001 bike and I bought it with 12mths rego for $6500, and it had a few extras, helmet, rack, bag, cover.
Ive had no big issues with mine yet, some minor ones....indicators stopped working (only when cold) but all i had to do was clean the contacts in the switch, ive changed the cam chain tensioner.

Good luck, what a bike.
Half your luck!! I can't find anything with such low klms at the moment.
What sort of life had it had?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Tomdiesel,
Bought my BB last year with 69000miles on the clock. had few problems with Alternator, rectifier and battery but thats a well documented issue. The other thing is the loom fix, again documented. These bikes are great and worth putting up with few bits and pieces. With a bit of TLC and regular oil changes they are bulletproof. Have fun finding your pride and joy.
Tony

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Welcome tomdiesel,try and get a bird around if possible 30k - 50k on the clock , that might set up for price range between 7-10 grand depending on condition and rego,and year of bike, you do know they go up to 07 model,you might be lucky enough to find one cheaper like tickedo for that price but rare,many bikes come modified racks exhaust suspension exc,just check out condition of bike sprockets tires chain etc that will give ya a good indication,whatever you buy will do the job and check out the forum and see what maitenance problems other riders had, many are the same good hunting.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
mileage relevant if not taken care of, I am approaching 100km with all service records, bike runs excellent , CanadianBird a friend here on the board I locally ride with has 165,000 probably the most I am guessing on the board as I have not personally seen more, his bike is immaculate overly maintained. Rides like new. I expect these motors can go to 250k

30-50km seems common for the yr you are looking for

·
Registered
84 Posts
Half your luck!! I can't find anything with such low klms at the moment.
What sort of life had it had?
A pretty easy one as far as I can tell, even had the original chain and sprockets. Ive replaced them now as well as the rear tyre. They come up at cheaper prices when guys NEED to get rid of them and you just have to be ready to jump.

·
here's jonny
1,434 Posts
good luck.
i know what its like when ur looking for one. be patient. one will turn up soon.
sounds like u dont have a bike at the moment which will make it more frustrating for you. get a cheaper run around for a bit whilst you look, it will keep your skills honed. a little 600 that you can sell on easy for little loss.
guarenteed that when you find your bird it will be a "keeper"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts