Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Strangely that has been discussed in the Duck household, and we have a 'Single Vehicle Approval' scheme in the UK to get specials onto the road ......

Reactions: elvetost

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,082
Well I've finally had a couple of free hours to progress my Titanium side stand (!)

First fitting

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

It is considerably longer than a standard stand which is what I needed due to the suspension mods on Duck

IMG_0964.JPG

............... and in spite of being larger and built like the proverbial brick sh.t house it is still lighter :thumb:

IMG_0962.JPG

IMG_0963.JPG

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Very (very!) nice, Pete. When do you plan to start accepting orders for custom ti work?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,086
.... that is the plan!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Now i have finally looked through the complete thread (y) Managed to sort things out by reading the thread but are the rims from a Sp-1? I was looking at Dymag rims for my bird but they are so expensive..

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,088
Now i have finally looked through the complete thread (y) Managed to sort things out by reading the thread but are the rims from a Sp-1? I was looking at Dymag rims for my bird but they are so expensive..
No the rims are a 'special' set , the rear is for the Bird and the front for a ZX12R to suit the front end. Dymag were based a few miles from where I live and I had done some work for them in the past (designed a carbon single sided swing arm and did some finite element analysis on carbon wheels) so I may have negotiated a 'special' price ......

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Now i have finally looked through the complete thread (y) Managed to sort things out by reading the thread but are the rims from a Sp-1? I was looking at Dymag rims for my bird but they are so expensive..[/QUOTE]

Yes they certainly are. But if you look around , sometimes even on the forum , they ARE out there for a deal.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
No the rims are a 'special' set , the rear is for the Bird and the front for a ZX12R to suit the front end. Dymag were based a few miles from where I live and I had done some work for them in the past (designed a carbon single sided swing arm and did some finite element analysis on carbon wheels) so I may have negotiated a 'special' price ......
Did they use a pregreg and if they did what type ie BMI, epoxy?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,091
Did they use a pregreg and if they did what type ie BMI, epoxy?
We were using a wet lay-up* when I was doing work for them (15 years ago now!) with epoxy (pre-preg was only available here in aircraft quantities!) ..... the swing arm used an epoxy that could take high temp due to the proximity of exhausts.

*The swing arm was best built using wet lay-up because I designed a complicated lay-up! Combination of U/D 0, 30, and 90 (still remember the 36x36 matrices to do the calcs!)

·
Registered
530 Posts
So maybe this has been answered somewhere in the 73 pages, but I'm asking anyway. If you were to bore and supercharge your Bird today, how close would you get to the new price of a Kawasaki H2? 25%, 50%, 75%?

Edit: Ok I see on their website a kit is about 3k to 5k GBP for other bikes. So including buying a Blackbird you shouldn't have to spend much more than 25% of the H2 new price (22k).
Have they sold any further kits to Blackbird owners? I don't see any other bikes on YT, so they are either shy or non-existent, since it's not in their list on the website: Rotrex Superchargers | Car Superchargers and Motorbike Supercharger Ki

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
If I was to build 'Duck Mk2' today* a very rough estimate would be that it would cost slightly less than 50% of a new H2 ... but that is not including a cost on my labour.
Supercharging a std Bird would be far less and some of the engine work that I carried out/had carried out was 'future proofing' and research!

I'm probably wrong but as far as I know, Duck is still in its own class, there must be another supercharged Bird out there. There are certainly supercharged VFRs and supercharged Bird motors in cars .......

As always the Busa is far more favoured for this treatment - stronger basic motor with more opportunity to increase capacity if you want to. Busa owners are also different to Bird owners but I had better not open that can of worms :smilebig:

*that is for everything, suspension, lightweight wheels, Ti spindles, big brakes, single seat etc etc.

Reactions: steveb

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
If I was to build 'Duck Mk2' today* a very rough estimate would be that it would cost slightly less than 50% of a new H2 ... but that is not including a cost on my labour.
Supercharging a std Bird would be far less and some of the engine work that I carried out/had carried out was 'future proofing' and research!

I'm probably wrong but as far as I know, Duck is still in its own class, there must be another supercharged Bird out there. There are certainly supercharged VFRs and supercharged Bird motors in cars .......

As always the Busa is far more favoured for this treatment - stronger basic motor with more opportunity to increase capacity if you want to. Busa owners are also different to Bird owners but I had better not open that can of worms :smilebig:

*that is for everything, suspension, lightweight wheels, Ti spindles, big brakes, single seat etc etc.
But could you do it in 157 hours ;o)

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,097
Chuckle .....
I actually did some finite element analysis and hand calcs for KHI when I worked on railway cars .... they had 3 Dr's of engineering checking my work!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yes KHI is a giant and they are smart enough to know that if they sell you a H2 with full hp (the 320 hp H2R) you pay double and you get a completely different maintenance scheme (more intensive). Brock's Performance in the USA have kits for the H2 bumping it to nearly H2R spec with an exhaust, ECU flash and assorted parts, giving impressive results, but I suspect durability might be an issue..

·
Welding. How hard can it be?
3,643 Posts
Greetings, All.

Matey took a stock GSX1400 and added a small under-seat Nissan turbo, a boost gauge and a pod filter. 250rwhp. Cost approx US$500 installed. ...then threw a rod through the block. New motor and stronger rods, US$1000 later he is running higher boost than before but has not put it back on the dyno. I've seen it smoke the rear tyre on a dry road at 100mph and throw chunks of road back at me...broke my fairing blade and bruised my knuckles... bottom line, horse power is cheap, especially if you start with large displacement motors, but long term reliability is another matter entirely.

Also watched him roar past racers on superbikes on the main straight at the track, on the back wheel, only to shower them in rooster tails of orange sparks around the infield as they passed him, only to retake the lead on the straight again. Shits and giggles.

Gaz.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Yes KHI is a giant and they are smart enough to know that if they sell you a H2 with full hp (the 320 hp H2R) you pay double and you get a completely different maintenance scheme (more intensive). Brock's Performance in the USA have kits for the H2 bumping it to nearly H2R spec with an exhaust, ECU flash and assorted parts, giving impressive results, but I suspect durability might be an issue..
Shouldn't differ from the H2R as they share just about all the same parts.But who cares if you have that much money and that much power?

1081 - 1100 of 1116 Posts