ROFL

As always, great job partner!
:)

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,062
Happy to report that the mosfet reg is up and running well :thumb:

Charging seems to be very stable 14.2V at all revs above 3000 (need to do a fuller check at a less 'neighbour sensitive' time!) when I started with a battery showing 12.9V. Leakage on Duck now at an acceptable 1.6mA.

I half followed Hanks advice, the earth lead is taken to the earth point on the starter but I had to put the live to the battery. In order to connect to the solenoid you need a 'heavy duty' but small connector ............ don't have one and neither did my local motor factors so the urge to get the motor running was too high :O Will make the change when I find a suitable connector.

Reactions: elvetost

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I'll keep following this Pete, as its on the to-do list...

I actually got my hands on a very very clean wiring loom, with NO alarm and fantasticaly clean plugs etc!
Looks like its new out of the box!
So maybe this, along with a mosfet reg/rec will be finding their way to the bike soon.

As always mate, GREAT WORK!

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,064
Well Chris if long term this mod keeps working well - and experience of others on 'here' suggests it will - then it is very worth while.

Apart from the benefits of the reg/rec itself you don't use the second plastic plug that on the std system goes to the reg/rec ..... so you eliminate another weak point. If like me you solder the 3 yellows from the stator to the reg rec connections, that gets rid of both of the troublesome plugs so more peace of mind.

Good find on the loom, Duck could really have done with a new one at the initial re-build since it had been scuffed/broken in a few places during its trip down the road .......... too late now, far too many mods to replicate!

Because I was having issues with both Duck and Daily Bird I have been looking at the looms in tandom, what has surprised me is how quickly corrosion builds in the plugs. It is no doubt assisted by our climate, but in spite of having had both looms apart and cleaned in the last year the connectors to the starter solenoid (and others) were starting to show white powdery corrosion ........

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Cheers Pete.
Certainly a worth to-do mod this, its been spinning in my brain for over a couple of years now, since folks over here suggested it.
;)
Here's some pics of the loom I got.
It's very weird but I still cant get over how clean all the wires look! This comes from a UK, 1998 bike too..!!!
All the plugs, everything, just looks perfect!
I asked the guy if he had changed it and he said its the original one on the bike. Very weird.
Either that bike was hidden in a shed or something or I dont know mate...:idunno:
Certainly not bad for 4.20 quid (yes there was a score for postage too but cmon..). :D:D:D

DSCN4218.jpg DSCN4219.jpg DSCN4220.jpg DSCN4221.jpg DSCN4222.jpg DSCN4223.jpg

DSCN4224.jpg

·
Welding. How hard can it be?
3,643 Posts
Pedro, my Man. Was'up with the Duck?!

You must have stories/pics or daring deeds from last summer? Did you get a summer? :hotsmile:

G.

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,068
Duck owner is spending far too many hours in his 'nuclear bunker', now hitting the road at 4.45am every day!

Summer, please explain that concept. In the last 18 weeks I have only had 12 trips when I haven't got rained upon which isn't very good since I commute over 100 miles daily. White out again today, it was so bad I slowed down almost to the speed limit ...... I am however planning some advanced riding tuition next year, I'm going to learn how to ride on dry roads ............... wish me luck.

·
Welding. How hard can it be?
3,643 Posts
A trip to Spain, perhaps? Hang on, that's under water as well.

I have a pic of some mods that could help you get through the pending (present?) UK winter...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,070
You might have hit on something there, but don't Givi make them colour coded?

Winter (snow) and projects (bu..er wont have a garage) brings me onto something that I have been 'working' on (well a few measurements ideas and CAD models), 800cc snowmobile 2 stroke, small light frame and I think I have found a way around the 'gearbox issue' .............

·
Registered
390 Posts
Aah, yes, "The great British Summer"! While we were in Scotland in July, we got a "free" insulated shopping bag thing from Tesco's because we bought x GBP of cold goods. Emblazened on the sides was "The Great British Summer" . That one day of no rain was pretty great. Actually, thinking back, it did rain that day too, just not as much :rotfl:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ah ha and here is an image of the said item. Works much better in SA :smilebig: (and we need the "cooler" bit to stop food going off on the way home :eyebrows:)

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
All going back together now that I have finished the 'electrics', gear indicator wiring went in yesterday, second fan up and running, speedohealer re-calibrated and given a new position. Rear indicators and tail/stop light sorted ..... one of the 'joys' of this type of work is that you end up having to change close to everything!

Seat unit fits so time for a couple of pics with the garage door open ................... hence the red reflections, yes the sun is shining here today!

View attachment 25436

Rear view before I have to ruin it with the chuffing great numberplate we have to use!
View attachment 25435
shorter wheel base !!!!! sounds like alot of fun :p how much boost ?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,074
That's a very good question, last time it was measured (I don't run gauge) I was only running 8psi which gave me the +200rwhp - not in your league turbo but what I wanted for a 'friendly' road bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's a very good question, last time it was measured (I don't run gauge) I was only running 8psi which gave me the +200rwhp - not in your league turbo but what I wanted for a 'friendly' road bike.
friendly is nice SOME TIMES for me i rather have to hold on and try pull my self to the clip ons when i hit peak :)
u shoeld try 18 psi and put on a dyno
also do u control boost threw the pully size or do u have a waste gate in the bikes up pipe ?

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,076
18psi ....... that would be mental on my bike, I have distinct feelings of looping the loop!

Pulley size and I have a dump valve ..... which seems to work OK.

·
Registered
380 Posts
18psi ....... that would be mental on my bike, I have distinct feelings of looping the loop!

Pulley size and I have a dump valve ..... which seems to work OK.
i tried 25 psi and my bike did not move under boost hhahahaha
but in the back of my head i was like shit dont risk it or i will be pushing the damn thing and i wont even run 0 psi lol

·
Super Moderator
12,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,078
To celebrate getting my garage back together and the machines up and running I really needed to reacquaint myself with the joys of machining Titanium.

Now since Duck has been built it has been short in the leg, the side stand needs a 100+ mm block under it for the angle to be even vaguely safe ............. so lets build a Titanium Side stand!

Work in progress but getting there
IMG_0936.JPG IMG_0935.JPG

it's amazing but I forgot what a joy it is to try and stop combustion... work hardening ..... galling ..... not to mention 2 hours to cut a simple M10x1.25 thread.
Spent this afternoon machining the 'foot' which needs to be attached but get that done and add the switch plate and spring 'hook' and I should have the most unnecessary bit of 'bling' that I have ever created :smilebig:

1061 - 1080 of 1116 Posts