Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe this has happened. The front sprocket bolt seems to have come off and - probably over time - exerted enough pressure on the sprocket cover / casing to just break it clean.

Just spotted it now late in the evening as i'd gone down to lube the chain. Definitely hadn't happened earlier in the day since i remember discussing the frame bolts with someone.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? And any major damage that can potentially be caused? Or is it just (and i hope the answer is yes...) a question of tightening the bolt and welding the cover / getting a new one?

Any help appreciated.

Ravi

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I always use some red loctite on the counter shaft bolt as I have seen them come loose before...
I would inspect the bolt very well and discart it if found with cross threads.
Then do it up with a bit of loctite and replace the cover.
Welding the cover while the "new" one arrives is also fine, unless its VERY badly deformed.

How is the rubber damper on the inside of the cover? Checked that for wear/tear/cause of the incident?

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
I may have one of these actually. I'll need to check first though.
If i do have it, its yours man. ;)

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have one of these actually. I'll need to check first though.
If i do have it, its yours man. ;)
Elvetost, many thanks for this; much appreciated :)

All advice noted on the bolt re discarding / tightening; and yup - welding the cover only as a stop-gap. Hate the thought of seeing the Bird with anything patched up like that.

Ref the insides - still to open it up. I'm not very comfortable taking a chance with messing anything up myself.

Shall keep you posted.

Ravi

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
ravi said:
Has anyone ever encountered this before?
not personally, normally it is a case of 'can't get the bolt out'!

I'm not very comfortable taking a chance with messing anything up myself.
there is really very little to it, tie a block of wood between the bars and the clutch lever so you can't pull the lever in (just makes the job 'idiot proof' ......... yes I have popped the cylinder before now!) and then undo the half dozen bolts. Separate the clutch cylinder from the cover. There are a couple of different length bolts so lay them out so you know where they go and then pull the cover off ..... it might need a gentle tap with a soft hammer covers can be tight on the dowels. When the cover comes off a steel 'half moon' shaped spacer will come off as well, just remember to put this back on when you have got everything fixed.

Follow elevetosts advice above and you won't go wrong.

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Tony, just out of curiosity, do you ever ride this thing man!
I mean that's the factory oem grease on the rod right there!!!!!
:p

Chris, who you calling obsessive, Papadakis.
:)

·
Super Moderator
12,834 Posts
I've spotted some dirt :smilebig:

....... look hard at the corner of the thumb nail and there are distinct signs of grubbyness!

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Grubbyness!!

Im saying nothing................. nup na ah..... absolutely nothing....

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Grubbyness!!

Im saying nothing................. nup na ah..... absolutely nothing....
Hahahahahahaha!
Watching Steve and Tony talking about cleaning their bikes must be SOMETHING to cherish!

MUHAHahahhaHaHAHahahahahahahaHhahaahah

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Hahahahahahaha!
Watching Steve and Tony talking about cleaning their bikes must be SOMETHING to cherish!

MUHAHahahhaHaHAHahahahahahahaHhahaahah

I am sure Tony would agree that after a quick wash (my sort of wash not nutters) that I would proudly put my XX in a long line of brand new bikes and she would stand out (except for being the best bike in the bunch of course)

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Funny how obsessive compulsive disorder patients are the same around the world...
LOL
Sorry mate but i dont have OCD I have CDO which is similar to OCD but the letters are in the correct alphabetical order as they should be....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
So..what's the solution to the cracked cover? I have the following to offer up. Some of the pure sport guys are want to show off there "naughty bits",..that is to say the counter shaft sprocket. To do this they perform what is known as the "Nicky Mod" to the front sprocket cover which like the XX holds the slave cylinder to the clutch. The mod consist of basicly cutting away the alum. of the cover that hides the CS. I've only got a couple of pictures to show this. The first one is rather small to see the true effect, but shows the CS cover in "after" modified form. The second is a micro fiche shot of the stock 1000RR/R CS cover which shows the "before" condition of the cover to some degree. You may be able to see that the parts make up and form/function of the cover very much mimic's that of the XX's (have a look at my "behind the scenes" photo's above). If you choose to you might also remove the damaged section of your cover to give a more "race" look.

This is also a common and sought after mod to the older CB-F bikes I ride. In the case of the CB-F the stock cover is something of a two piece affair. One cover covers the sprocket..the second hiden under the first covers the oil pump. The first cover is removed and left off. The second (oil pump cover) is replaced in total with that of the CB900-C (which was the cruiser styled 900cc machine of the 1980's) which shared engine technology with the 750/900/and 1100F's Super Sports or the era. The diff with the 900C was that it ran a split range transmission which effectively gave the bike ten speeds,..this coupled to a shaft drive in lieu of the chain drive of the Super Sports. Anyway..all that to say that the 900C oil pump cover allows for direct bolt up to the standard 750/900/1100 motor (with the inclusion of a new hole or two in the crankcases,..the bosses of which are already provided for in the case). The effect is rather pleasing to the "race" minded guy. This cover also helps to support the shifter rod and shiter lever assembly as a bonus and makes the install very clean.

Now..this is a guess on my part, but it may work depending on where your damage is on the cover. The only thing I'd attempt to change is the exposed face of the cover, nothing else. The rest of the collective hardware behind the cover needs to stay in place to provide the correct clearance for the clutch slave cylinder to function correctly. Also..there is a backing plate that protects the crankcases in the event that the chain departs the sprocket,..it's steel where as the cases are alum. The steel with hold up much better during chain departure then the alum. of the cases...so don't attempt to remove this. In the CB-F shots this shows up as a gold colored "C" shape plate against the cases, located behind the sprocket. I'd hope this mod would look better then a attempted repair. I will also say this, there is more chain type noise with the CS exposed,..but on my F bike it's all apart of the effect and doesn't take away at all from the riding pleasure.

(Speaking of "clean")
Now to get back to off topic..this mod will also allow the "Q-tip challenged" to get in there and clean with somewhat ease.

Tony "lather, rinse, repeat....lather, rinse, repeat...lather rinse, repeat" Bagley

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
jesus you could eat a Jalfrezi outa there

must be the climate or country or something, mine is filthy after about 2 months of cleaning, could be the brand of chain lub may make a difference

1 - 20 of 29 Posts