Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Flying Crowbar
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CBRxx Folks,

My front brakes are squeaking and dragging on the rotor. The pads probably need to be replaced, but why are they dragging?

I'm going to look around to get the work done this week. Anyone else have experience with the pistons not fully retracting in the calipers? :huh:

·
Premium Member
2,985 Posts
Flush and replace the brake fluid. If that doesn't work then you should clean the caliper pistons.

·
The Flying Crowbar
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Called Honda Powerhouse. They said fluid flush/replace should do it and about $135 ++, so about $160-200 with parts & tax.

I might just take it back to the KTM dealer I bought it from for loyalty and deal on work.

How often does the Blackbird go through (generally) pads? I haven't had to do brakes on a bike yet... time to buy a Clymer or Hayes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i'd suggest looking into changing the brakes yourself, its only a few nuts and bolts , a bit of cleaning and maybe £40 -£60 on ebay for 3 sets of brake pads . there a bit like the opposite sex , if you fiddle about with them , you'll get a better ride (nice and easy on new pads though!)

if it's any help , mine were dragging and it was because the calipers wern't floating on on the two shafts there mounted on?

Daren1.

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Called Honda Powerhouse. They said fluid flush/replace should do it and about $135 ++, so about $160-200 with parts & tax.
HOLY CRAP!! For a flush? I just did mine, it cost me about 20 bucks and about an hour of my time. Which Power House did you call?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Couple of related posts that might lead you in the right direction regarding brakes:

http://www.cbrxx.com/suspension-tires-wheels-brakes/11622-caliper-repair-kit.html

http://www.cbrxx.com/suspension-tires-wheels-brakes/7556-drag-rear-front-left-brakes.htmlhttp://www.cbrxx.com/suspension-tires-wheels-brakes/11622-caliper-repair-kit.html

Cleaning and flushing the system may help. Brake system cleaning and re-building calipers (installing re-build kits) is not really that difficult but brake work may not be for everybody. There is some cost savings to be had if you do your own work though for sure. Your call.

Tony

·
The Flying Crowbar
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tech from Power House said it would take 1.5hrs to flush the lines and free up the front caliper. I might just try to clean up & grease the pins the calipers float on first to see if that will stop the squeaking/grinding; if not I'll go for it and call it an early christmas present.

Off thread... I tried some of that new DuPont Teflon Multi-Use spray on the chain last night. Wow, it goes on nice! I had a stiff link and it freed it up. Shifted and just felt smother on the ride home. DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

I also noticed that amount of accumulated sand/dirt/grit there was massive; nearly a full handful of greasy grit laying along the top where the chain rides... nasty. I blame prev owner and sticky chain lube... ;)

Thanks TigreST, I'll debate if working on the brakes is something I want to get into. Since it's still 'new' to me, I may just take it into Honda to do the work; also they may see something that should be addressed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts