Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Later days I've noticed accruing problems with my brakes system. As far as I can see it is caused by my front left caliper.
So now I'm wondering - should I buy some second-hand replacement for my CBR1100XX - or should I ask mechanics for help. Maybe someone knew something about CMG - they are right next corner from me, so it wouldn't be hard to use their services?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Do you change your brake fluid every two to three years? If you don't sludge can build up in your system and your secondary master cylinder return lines can get clogged so the calipers bind(don't release). Sludge can cause problems in other places too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,474 Posts
Hello everyone,

.. I've noticed accruing problems with my brakes system. As far as I can see it is caused by my front left caliper.
A few details of the problems would be helpful.
FWIW the LH front caliper causes few problems ..... unless you are talking about the mechanism attached to it.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
Second Ducks input. What kind of problems are you experiencing. Drag, Pedal issues or ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also, check & clean the pistons with wd40 spray and a cloth when clear of brake rotors and clean and grease (with brake grease) the pins that the pads slide/hang from...... take note of how the spring plate sits. Check the rubber slider covers for decay..... mine lasted 100k kms before I noticed they were perished. Take care of the left side DCBS piston seals.

You may have air in the DCBS links as this is usually a two person job to flush properly. A right PITA and a DIRTY job.... but works well when done well. Depending on bike's age, maybe the master cylinders might be gummed up? I use Motul fluid in my 05 and have it changed every 2 years. My 15yo brake hoses are a bit flexy but the lever still feels solid for normal road braking....... for high performance/track riding I'd need to upgrade to braided lines.

(y)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Also, check & clean the pistons with wd40 spray...
Personally I keep WD-40 away from all brake components. If WD-40 comes in contact with the 'wrong type' of rubber seals it can cause the rubber to expand/soften/weaken/perish requiring replacement.
I had it happen once on a brake master cylinder piston seal. 👍

·
Play, it makes life fun
1,788 Posts
Plus when WD dries out it turns into a tacky sticky film.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Cheers all,

Never had any problem using it as a surface cleaner in 45yrs...... but I respect your experiences, and owners should use what works best for the application.

I should add that I only use the spray tube extension so there is no overspray, and only wet the exposed pistons so I can wipe away road grime. Its more a regular maintenance cleaning thing rather than a lube/repair strategy. Sometimes I use CRC ...... but it's always for cleaning grime off parts, not for long term lubrication.

If the brakes are gummed up inside from neglect, then they have to be stripped down and cleaned and seals replaced.

The BB's brakes are not the best - hence cleaning crud from the slider pins and greasing them to make them slide easily is essential (usually best done with wheel removal for tyres)...... I wipe the wd40 off with a rag to clean the pins/caliper bodies so I have never had any of the above issues ;).

(y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts