Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Brake pad pin question (rubber or steel stud/covers?)

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  CBRDEAN0 
#1 ·
Silly question I know, but my 'Birds brake pads are held in place by steel pins, these are removed with an allen key normally.

Now, to protect the allen head, I have little rubber studs, but a bike mechanic told me they were supposed to have screw in covers. Who's right then? Is it dependant on model/year?

Cheers!

Chris :thumb:

#4 ·
Rubber caps on my '02.

#13 ·
Like I wrote earlier, I'm having major league issues trying to remove the metal screw holding the pins on the rear caliper. I shot some penetrating oïl in there, but it' s hard to make it go trough and since Honda had the ingenious idea to make the screw head a flatblade, I'm chewing trough it...I don't know what the heck to do to simply change my pads...help.

#15 ·
Ahh, you also wrote earlier, you were going to get your guru on to it - I guess no luck?

Like shewie said, an impact driver is your friend, and quite cheap to buy...it is possibly the worst situation to be on though, really sorry for you :( If the head stuck out a bit, I'd normally hacksaw a second perpendicular groove to form a cross-head - but that's not possible if it's flush...unless you have a very small angle grinder and a steady hand.

Sorry I can't be of more use. :(

#14 ·
Do you have access to an impact screwdriver?

#16 ·
My '97 had screw in studs that were corroded, ended up getting them out after a struggle, had to sort of chisel a groove on the slot and tapped them until unseized then screwed out....used candle wax to re-seal, I know.......I'm cheap but it did the trick. I think Jaws sells stainless one's

#19 ·
used candle wax to re-seal, I know.......I'm cheap...
Wow...someone as cheap as me, exists! :clap:
Finally came out with the impact screwdriver...phew......thanks for your imput guys, you are the best..:)
That's great, bet you were overjoyed! :D

#26 ·
hmmm preventative maintenance, never had a problem with the screw in ones on daily Bird but I remove the caps and pins every couple of months to give them a clean up.... dab of grease on the cap and they always come out.
The rear one is a bugger because of the exhaust can is straight in the way...grrrrrrrrrr
screwdriver bit in a ratchet handle is my preferred method for the screw cap followed by a hex 'T' handle with a hex on the handle for the leverage ...... plenty of room then but I agree, a pain with a standard tool kit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.