Honda CBR XX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi
the carrier is fixed so when grab hold of the caliper, the caliper has some movement not the carrier
you can slide the caliper on the carrier side to side with papds pushed back, but the movement im concerned with is fron to back
cheers guys

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Once the caliper is off the pins take a pic so we can lend a second eye for indications of abnormal wear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi
Do i have to split the caliper to remove it from the carrier by removing the 3 bolts at the back of the caliper
and if so does that effect the fluid ie do the brakes need to be bleed
cheers

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
You don't have to split it. Theres 2 bolts holding it to the mounting bracket. They're 12 mm heads. They also may have loctite on then. Just pull those and the caliper comes off. You'll have to wiggle it between the bracket and wheel so be careful not to scratch the wheel.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Guys
Stripped the pins out and they look worn
calipers look good
so i have ordered new pins top and bottom and rubber bushes for both front calipers
hopefully this will put my last problem (at the moment) to bed
i bought this BB a year an half ago it was very low mileage, 13k miles i have covered nearly 7k
i think i am paying the price for it not being used much and stored in a garage so
perhaps low mileage is not always a good point.
i have no intension of parting with it and with this sites help i hope to get it down to routine servicing
but so much has still to be checked as the last piece of service history was 2013.
again thanks a million guys

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Yes Spikey that is the very real side effect of low mileage. Setting un used can be as bad or worse than thrashing it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
its easy to misline the pads in the caliper , they will fit but will jiggle about
undo the pin and make absolutely sure that the upper fork of the pad backing plate fits correctly into the stainless guide plate

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi cbrpaul
i know what you mean about the pads and i have checked
with the pads removed the caliper can move backwards and forwards the wear is at the pins/boot
my gut guess is the boots but i have ordered new pins top and bottom as i rely on this stopping me every day dont want to take a chance lol
some advice i was given recently is spend as much as you can afford on tyres brakes and suspension its what keeps you off the tarmac
cheers cbrpaul

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi Guys
New parts for calipers will arrive on Monday
my question is
Do you appply any grease to the pins if so what would be the best type of grease

·
Super Moderator
12,454 Posts
..... Do you appply any grease to the pins if so what would be the best type of grease
You shouldn't need to ...... but I do. I rub a tiny bit of ACF50 corrosion block grease onto the pin...... but you have to be very careful that there isn't excess that could get onto the pad.
corrosion block.png

When I was year round commuting I used to pull the pins every couple of weeks and give them a clean, there really isn't anything better than

Elbow-Grease.png

·
Registered
118 Posts
for the slider pins i use a little silicone grease
you cant use too much or the pins will compress the grease in the hole and make a hydraulic lock

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi Guys
Thanks Duck and CBRpaul
stuff arrived early so no prizes for guessing what im doing today, getting grease on the pads would definately be a bad move, also fitting a voltmeter today
thanks guys

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi There
Changed the pins and boots on both front calipers
Partial sucess fron right caliper still has some movement so it looksl ike the caliper may be worn
my rear caliper has movement aswell, it can be moved up and down so it looks like the pin a nd boots are needing replaced too
in order to sort the caliper problem i will have to source a replacement, my question is are all the calipers from all models a universal size does any front caliper fit the front etc
cheers guys

21 - 34 of 34 Posts