Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
It would appear i have some wear on my front right caliper
I am looking to purchase a second hand caliper, iwas wondering if all the front right calipers from any year will fit my 2004 Bird
cheers

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Just checking the Partzilla data base. Part #'s for the 1997 to 2000 1100xx are the same for the Right side Front Caliper assembly 45250-MAT-016. There are some VFR machines that share this caliper (another source for used parts). For the 2001-2003 models years (North America market). the part number changes slightly 45250-MCC-006, and again the Right side Front Caliper fits a couple of other Honda model VFR machines. It maybe that the caliper color changes slightly between years, so the part number call out change to denote that change. The parts fiche diagrams for all the model years appear to look the same to me. For you U.K. riders you have another 4 years of machines to source parts from. Unless you can nail down a caliper from the same year machine,..I bet money that any year will fit and work. Best to stick with the same model year if possible.

Q: Exactly what is worn on your original caliper?

T.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi TigreST
I was getting front to back movement on both front calipers, (when i braked hard at 60mph plus i got a shudder at the bars) so on closer inspection you could see the movement at the caliper carrier which holds two pins and two rubber boots
i ordered new pins for both sides and new boots for both sides after fitting all new parts the left hand side is sorted (no movement) the right handside still has some movement the hole in the caliper that the rubber boot fits through appears to have some wear which is allowing the caliper to move but the shudder when braking is gone so some sucess
Hope this makes sense
thankyou for your reply

·
Super Moderator
12,598 Posts
Just a curved ball thought, have you checked the mounting brackets?

I had to replace one a year or so ago, corrosion had eaten into the area around/underneath the pad clip (10 on the diag above). Whilst this problem didn't result in the same problem that you are seeing it is worth checking out the brackets, with the climate you have in Glasgow (used to work there) combined with salt these brackets are susceptible to a bit of corrosion.

Reactions: Howling

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Duck
when you grab hold of the caliper it can be moved vertically and front to back, but since fitting the new pins and boots the side with the dual brake actuator? seems to be good but the right hand side still had some movement. I took out the rubber boot No 13 and i put one ring of insulating tape round it and made sure it still slide in and out put it all back together and the movement was reduced hence the reason i think the caliper is worn, its just a pity nobody with the know how does not live near me, onwards and upwards
as i said to Beestoys i am paying the price for a low mileage Bird

1 - 7 of 7 Posts