Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of an '02 here, I just noticed that only one lamp of the headlight assembly is lit when in "low", but both are lit in "high". I'm assuming I have a partial failure of one lamp, but before I tear the cowl open to check the lamp & wiring, I thought I'd ask, in case this is normal. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
g`day skadee,your bike lights are normal,top light is low beam and is always on until you hit the hi beam and both are on,cheers kev

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
"Negative Ghost Rider"....only one lamp is lit in low beam mode. Should be the upper unit in low beam, both in high beam.

Tony "not buzzing the tower" Bagley

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Better than side by side lights, IMO. Same as they said.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Nein,as aboves.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
And in case your might be wondering. The front turn signals are duel element bulds. One element glows all the time in "running light" fashion. The second element peformers the flashing action for turn direction indication. On the rear of the bike the turn signals are single element bulds. There function is only for the turn direction indication. The rear turn signals do not glow steady during normal operation.

Tony "40 watt bulb" Bagley

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
On the rear of the bike the turn signals are single element bulds. There function is only for the turn direction indication. The rear turn signals do not glow steady during normal operation.

Tony "40 watt bulb" Bagley
But they should, imho

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
CB,
At a guess I think the idea is to have maximum contrast between the rear signal flash and no flash portion of the indication. This is , in my mind, very important given the rather small size of the turn signal lense in most cases. With the Honda hard saddle bag install, the rear signals are re-positioned for clearance to allow the install of the bags. A secondary "plus" (and I don't know that this was part of the thinking) is that the hardbags rear face, half of which is black in color, becomes the background color that the turn signal is centered in for the most part. This reduces the "background clutter" around the signal and I believe increases visibility of the flashing turn signal lens. I know that some operators (across all makes and brands) opt for a custom smaller or integrated rear light system. But I'm more like you. Being seen is being safe when out on tour. I followed a buddy on his R-6 Yamaha which had the Clear Alternatives rear light package. Heck, it was all I could do to notice when he was braking or signaling a lane change or turn. No thank you,..I'll stay stock (and as some think) ugly!

Tony "never arrested for flashing....yet" Bagley

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,079 Posts
is there an aftermarket LED kit for the rear lights?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I'm only running a basicly stock lighting system. The only change was to a set of Baja Designs rear turn signal units to fit out my Hondaline hard bag install. I had to change the stock signal flasher unit out to a electronic one to slow the turn signal flash rate.
I believe you can purchase LED replacement bulb sets for the stock incandescent units. But the lower current draw rate may effect the thremal turn signal switch flasher unit and produce an increased flash rate. The cure for the speedy turn signals rate is an electronic flasher unit. Others will chime in an correct my errors I'm sure (I hope?).

Tony "just a flash bulb,..poof and I'm done" Bagley

1 - 12 of 12 Posts