Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good condition or some light cosmetic damaged upper cowl/fairing.. With little to no luck. I have see a lot of people asking where there can locate one or need other fairing parts. I have recently stubbled across a drag race company called AIR TECH. They make every panel for the BB including street and some extra. All if it is fiberglass. I have also looked I to aftermarket and fairing kits for replacement . Now some of the reviews on the kits were not good. Becoming waving and stuff in hot weather. Some insight on this would be great. Thanks.
HAPPY RIDING THIS SEASON!!!!

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
I've got the full air tech for my bb. Haven't installed them yet as there are no mounting tabs. You're going to have to transfer over the pieces or fab up your own. But build quality is excellent they don't make a stock tail but there are a couple options from overseas. I picked one up from webike japan. Here's a link to a thread with pictures of the tail and lowers installed

·
Registered
363 Posts
there are also injection moulded chinese fairings
they fit pretty well but the paint is not perfect
the material is about double thick as honda oem and so they take knocks better
also skidmarx uk does fairing parts in fiberglass as does a polish company

·
Registered
256 Posts
i've had success repairing cracked plastics on my bird with this;

watch some videos, just melting the wire mesh into the back of a crack adds a lot of strength. just be sure your pieces are perfectly aligned, things can move as you're heating up... next time, i might try a dab of super glue or get a helper to hold things.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I bought a Chinese set from Auctmarts based in Hong Kong about 18 months ago. Only just fitted a week or so ago.

Fit is excellent bar a few differences. Nose cone was missing an internal tab (rhs). Radiator surround is not as tall (but has same fixing points bar a missing locating prong low down at the bottom of the rad, lhs as seen from front).

My bike is a '97 so these slight variations may be due to slight differences between yrs/ models. The missing tab I can rebuild for myself and plastic weld on. The difference in rad insert surround I've not gone with the new but kept my old which is in good enough condition to reuse.

The paint job is excellent though first impressions is a touch brittle and easier to scratch. That may simply be easier to spot it's scratched as the underlying plastic is white (original black) so shows any scratch deep enough to break through the lacquer and paint.

They couldn't do grab rail nor mirror covers but did do a tank cover. In cutting the fairing (to install my crash shrooms) the friction of the hole cutter was high enough to melt the plastic (not a dynamic of the OEM when I originally cut it for the same purpose). Again the exposed white of the bare plastic needs covering up to keep the looks and I've been very careful to buy higher rated heat shield inserts than the unknown insert material supplied with the kit. Pictires pisted in another if my threads.

Also if the cut shavings aren't cleared from the cut swiftly they solidify though can be chipped of the edge to leave a clean cut easily enough but take care not to take paint with them.

The bolt set which came with the fairing was a black set (nice) but low grade steel so rusted immediately post first rain shower so I'm avoiding them and using my OEM set recovered from my old fairing.

Overall, esp for the price, I'm still very pleased (so far).
20200514_135716.jpg

I'll be posting more images soon as still working on other parts of a wider project.

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Second the accumart kits as well have fitted one and seen 2 others and for the price it's well worth it. O went with the glass for it's durability and repairability

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a Chinese set from Auctmarts based in Hong Kong about 18 months ago. Only just fitted a week or so ago.

Fit is excellent bar a few differences. Nose cone was missing an internal tab (rhs). Radiator surround is not as tall (but has same fixing points bar a missing locating prong low down at the bottom of the rad, lhs as seen from front).

My bike is a '97 so these slight variations may be due to slight differences between yrs/ models. The missing tab I can rebuild for myself and plastic weld on. The difference in rad insert surround I've not gone with the new but kept my old which is in good enough condition to reuse.

The paint job is excellent though first impressions is a touch brittle and easier to scratch. That may simply be easier to spot it's scratched as the underlying plastic is white (original black) so shows any scratch deep enough to break through the lacquer and paint.

They couldn't do grab rail nor mirror covers but did do a tank cover. In cutting the fairing (to install my crash shrooms) the friction of the hole cutter was high enough to melt the plastic (not a dynamic of the OEM when I originally cut it for the same purpose). Again the exposed white of the bare plastic needs covering up to keep the looks and I've been very careful to buy higher rated heat shield inserts than the unknown insert material supplied with the kit. Pictires pisted in another if my threads.

Also if the cut shavings aren't cleared from the cut swiftly they solidify though can be chipped of the edge to leave a clean cut easily enough but take care not to take paint with them.

The bolt set which came with the fairing was a black set (nice) but low grade steel so rusted immediately post first rain shower so I'm avoiding them and using my OEM set recovered from my old fairing.

Overall, esp for the price, I'm still very pleased (so far).
View attachment 129343

I'll be posting more images soon as still working on other parts of a wider project.

Rgds Mallow1
bb looks great.
i've had success repairing cracked plastics on my bird with this;

watch some videos, just melting the wire mesh into the back of a crack adds a lot of strength. just be sure your pieces are perfectly aligned, things can move as you're heating up... next time, i might try a dab of super glue or get a helper to hold things.
Unfortunately I am unable to that. I have recently had two cracks completely brake off just above the mirror mount on the left side and where they are now is a mystery. But thank you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts