Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm having a worse problem than that - my baby won't run and is not showing any fault codes.
She turns over but doesn't start.
I have taken the spark plugs out, what a test that was, and performed a simple spark test and there are no sparks at the plugs at all.
I haven't, as yet, tested the ECM but I wondering if any of you have experienced this problem and if so was it the ECM or was it something else?

Thanks all.

Regards

Red00bird

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Re: Bad Bird only runs on 2 Cylinders

Hi all,

I'm having a worse problem than that - my baby won't run and is not showing any fault codes.
She turns over but doesn't start.
I have taken the spark plugs out, what a test that was, and performed a simple spark test and there are no sparks at the plugs at all.
I haven't, as yet, tested the ECM but I wondering if any of you have experienced this problem and if so was it the ECM or was it something else?

Thanks all.

Regards

Red00bird
Depending on model year the U.K. market machines had HISS. Could this be part of your issue? Can you provide more info on the bikes history: Who, what, where, when, how: When was the last time it ran correctly? Mileage? etc etc.

Tony

·
Registered
87 Posts

We had a similar issue trying to start dads x11 for the first time that we bought crashed, spent awhile trying to figue out why it wouldn't fire. Turns out if you have two hiss keys on one chain the bike won't fire. Felt like idiots after that one

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Hi Tony,

Thanks for responding.

She last ran correctly in April of this year. She has been sat on a trickle charger ever since. Mileage is 33,795.

I changed the fuel for fresh and even installed new plugs.

She is a 2000 model. I bought her in 2005. She does have HISS but I have tried both keys with the same result.

She does have a Datatool alarm fitted and this appears to de-activate properly, could this be the problem?

Regards

Mike aka Red00bird

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Archie,

The keys are not on the same key ring so I have tried both keys separately but the result is the same - she doesn't start.

Thanks

Mike aka Red00bird

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Maybe, at the least you could get rid of the data tool alarm and then try to start her up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
I are the grammar police
3,362 Posts
Alarms definitely go bad. Mine went almost immediately after I bought her. Same year model, roughly same mileage, a Datatool too. It had also been laid up for a few months. Alarm had been fitted by the original dealer from new so therefore 11 years old at that point.

But I had a different problem - the bloody thing would go off randomly and all kinds of other rubbish. Yaack. I hate bike alarms.

At the time I found a description of how to do it with pictures somewhere on the www. Easiest way is to remove the guts of the alarm from the box and solder certain wires together, replace the lid and hey presto, sodding useless alarm problem solved. But if you get it wrong or don't do a good job soldering, etc, you have created new problems for yourself. :down:

If that's what the problem is in the first place.

You've checked all of the wiring to the coils, connectors etc?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
3rd on alarm disable. I would take the connections out of the equation and try it again.

·
just do it
5,669 Posts
Firstly check out your alarm
then have a look at your charging system.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Here's one from the "Gee I forgot about that" file: O.k. picture this. It's the first ride of the season. Your Merlin Alarm equipped CBR-1000RR/R is in need of fuel seeing as how you've just run the last of the winter fuel out of the tank. Pull into the gas station and shut the bike down and proceed to top off the tank. With the tank full you pull the key out of the locking gas cap and stick it back in the ignition and swith it to the run postion. You double check the kills switch "Yep in run mode there also", so your ready to re-light the candle. Hitting the starter button only produces and continuous spinning of the starter motor but no cylinder firing..."What the firetruck?", thinks you. Cycle the ignition switch again from on to off and back to on and try the start up again. Same result,..the starter spins over quite happily but no fire in the hole. Hmm????????????????????????????????????:surrender:
At this point it's a "how am I going to get this thing home?" moment. But all of a sudden :bonk: it hits you! You reach down and grab the Merlin key fob and while the ignition is in the on position you push the middle button for a second or two and see that the transmit light has flashed a few times. You then go for the starter button and ba-da-boom-ba-da-bing the motor spins over and starts right up.

You remember the ignition kill feature of the alarm and had to dis-able it with the key fob to get a run permissive. :doh: You then promise not to mention this to anyone!

A friend told me this story...honest!

Tony "would I lie to you?" Bagley

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

It's been a while cos I've been trying to get the bird to fire off and on for the last 7 or so months.

I am now getting a weird issue in that she will fire on number 1 cylinder only. I have swapped the plugs - same result.

I have swapped the coils over - same result.

Charging system is fine and she spins over fine.

I have bridged the service plug and am getting 19 blinks from the FI light. The manual indicates this to be the pulsar coil at fault. I have replaced both the ignition pulsar coil
and rotor with new ones and I am getting exactly the same result!!!

I have noticed that the fuel return pipe is connected to injector number 1 so I suspect there is a fuel flow problem although the FI light extinguishes as it should wen I switch on
and I can hear the fuel pump prime as normal too.

There is a way of testing the fuel return flow which I am going to try next.

·
Super Moderator
12,518 Posts
Just a quick one on the plugs, when you have 'swapped them over' are you using new plugs or literally swapping the plugs from cylinder to cylinder?
If a plug gets wet with petrol it can stop them firing under compression (you can test them outside the cylinder and see them spark) some here have managed to bring the plugs back to life with brake cleaner (if I remember correctly) or a blow torch but if there is any question over the plugs try a new set .....................

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Fuel flow problem? ..... Is the fuel pump priming when you switch ignition on? ... And how is the FPR, any fuel in the vacuum hose? if yes it's toast ..... As for the FI error code, check the simple things first such as connectors, earth points etc ...

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all,

Just a quick note - still haven't solved this problem but I suspect a fuel starvation problem so I have drained the tank, which was grotty beyond belief. I have bought a new fuel filter and will be assembling the fuel pump and tank this weekend. With a bit of luck and some fresh fuel she will fire up on all 4 cylinders.

Here's hoping.

TTFN

Red00bird

·
Premium Member
5,896 Posts
Damn, over a year?! Hopefully that's the fix! Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
a quick way to check fuel flow will be to remove the fuel return hose, from the FPR back to the tank, using a bucket or such container turn tthe ignition on, you should get fuel flow from the FPR back to the tank.

Having a TigerST moment, did you remove the fuel line from the fuel pump to the fuel rail, side stand side of bike, if so, did you replace it in the right aspect, as putting it on wrong, by that I mean banjo joints wrong way round, will cause a kink to form when the tank is in the lowered position and a no go situation just like fuel starvation, :huh:and just like TigerST , a mate told me he had done this :O

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
If the tank was that nasty inside I am betting plugged injector feed screen. The are screened on the input as well to prevent getting debris in the injector body itself. If the tank is as nasty as you say, your in for a complete rail dissasembly to verify they are clear.

·
Mike
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi all,

Fitted new fuel filter, fresh fuel in a clean tank and still she will only run on number 1 - I have installed another brand new set of plugs too.

I am still getting the same fault code from the ECM with 19 blinks. The manual shows this to be a faulty Ignition Sender but I have replaced the sender and pick up with new Honda items.

I am going to look at the wiring harness next and then check the fuel flow although I don't think fuel is a problem as the plugs that don't fire are getting wet with fuel after this god knows what I will try next!!!

Anyway ride safe and take care out there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts