Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Blackbird will not respond to start only will fire up after about 5 or 6 presses of the start button. It has brand new battery. Still struggles to start is it maybe the button. Or what would you guys say causing it. My front forks sag right down when I brake hard what causes this.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Could be the button, can be cleaned with spray electrical contact cleaner. Also check the ignition switch contacts and the wires to it as they can break. Download the service manual wiring diagram (available on this site) for more info. It shows the starter circuit which includes the side stand switch, neutral gear indicator and clutch diode. Make sure bike is in neutral and the side stand is up.
What year is your bike and how many miles? Springs may have just sagged out. Jaws UK sells quality fork springs, makes a huge improvement. Straight wound 0.95kg/mm I believe.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Second everything Fizz has stated. Also the bird is factory sprung for a 180# rider.

·
Registered
812 Posts
As above advice and would add - check the starter solenoid at the side of the battery - some have had them melt.

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Ditto what the others have said on the starting issue.

On the springs a quick check can be made. Assuming the front end is standard there should be a minimum gap of 100-110mm between the bottom of the nosecone and the mudguard. If it is less then the springs definitely need replacing, they have sagged. If that gap is there and you are suffering bottoming out issues then you will need a stronger spring. That said having to fit heavier springs is unusual, most people find the OE springs too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts