Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

In my new member introduction thread I mentioned that I had a little low slide not too long after buying my BB (I'm not a noob haha, the road had something slippering on it) in July of 2011. I'll add addtional info later on but for now here are the pics!
In short: I bought the Bird to do logn 2up trips on. I bought it and put 1000 km on it within 5 days until I lowslid mid roundabout. I think the curb damaged the front rim and split the stator cover and I believe the lightpost took out the upper faring. The split stator cover spit out all the oil so I had to push the damn thing home about 7km. It took me roughtly two hours and I'm not a small guy either! The bike stood still for about a month since I had to save up some money for the repairs. I had just bought the bike, the hard luggage + racks, SPY alarm the Scottoiler etc. so I ran out of spending money). I found the rim, subframe and upperstay for a good-ish price. The stator cover was dirt cheap.

1: Damange after the fall. The rash on the righ side fairing was there when I bought it.
2: Damaged rim and stator cover.
3: Bent subframe and dented exhaust. You can see my other ride in the background. I don't have a car license so I fully depend on my bike(s) to get around! The 600 will be sold this year since I don't use it at all.
4: Where I landed. I slid into the grass (I was completely fine).
5: Split stator cover.
6: She looks like an angry bull!
7: Spare parts.
8: Painted the new rim.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle fairing
Grass Lawn Land lot Grassland Grass family
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Auto part Rim
Tire Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Automotive tire

9: For some stupid reason I had to take the headers off in order to change the oil filter with my filter tool... Since it was off I decided to high temp it black.
10: Result.
11: I ordered some cheap adjustable levers. To this day they work great! They were about 50 bucks.
12: Put the racks on and decided to testdrive her. She started up first try!
13: This is in the wrong order.. I installed the SPY 5000 alarm and Scottoiler whilst the back was off.
14: Bought new mirror brackets and a cheap red right mirror since the glass in one of my mirrors fell out.
15: High temp painting the exhausts. I'm not into chrome!
16: Painting the passenger pegs.
17: Trying to get the dents out with a cheap ebay tool.

Automotive exterior Auto part Furniture Vehicle
Exhaust manifold Automotive exhaust Auto part Pipe Metal
Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Muffler Auto part Exhaust system
Leg Compact car Auto part
Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

18: Fail! I later bought a PDR tool which also didn't work for me (it didn't break. I just could get it out as the dent was too big).
19: Testing the hard cases. I used the bike in this state for almost a year!
20: This was done about a month ago. I decided to fix the upper fairing just to make it prettier for now.
21: Missing part.
22: Creating the window mount.
23: Fiberglassed the mirror mount and right side airscoop thingy.
24: Body filler.
25: Looking alright!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Motorcycle
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive design Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door Auto part Automotive window part
Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle
Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Vehicle Windshield
Automotive exterior

26: A shitload of work later!
27: Time to fill up the dents.
28: Removed paint.
29: Layers of filler and fibreglass + resin. I will probably replace it with a good looking one but this will work for now. I still have to properly 2k clear and polish it.
30: A shit load of sanding. Quite impressed!
31: Nice.
32: Quite proud of myself.
33: Base coat.
34: Cheap silver stickers made.
Street art Paint Art
Motorcycle helmet Helmet Personal protective equipment Motorcycle accessories Sports gear
Headlamp Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Car
Motorcycle helmet Headlamp Automotive wheel system Vehicle Helmet
Egg Comfort food Food Dish
Headlamp
Vehicle Auto part Car Headlamp City car
Helmet Motorcycle accessories Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment Fuel tank
White Blue Tile Wall Line

35: Looks alright for now. As I said I still have to get some proper 2K clear since the normal clearcoat isn't very strong. The side and upper fairings still have to be properly painted too.
36: Sneak peak. Other pics will follow. I already have the Hyperpro spring installed here.

Helmet Motorcycle accessories Personal protective equipment Material property Fender
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Reactions: Gunner and elvetost

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok what is it with the mirrors being broken like that in a slide? why did both sides break like that!
Just wondering cause the same thing happened to me!
I know right.... In my case I slid on the left side but am very sure the right side got pounded on by the light post... Pretty much all the fairing damage was on the upper right!

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Good job, I like the painting of the rear footpeg brackets. I am having both of mine annodized black while I am away on vacation and the plastics are getting painted. Good job doing the work yourself!

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Wow. It's amazing what a little motivation and lack of funds can force us to accomplish. Nice job.

I do have to say, though, that I would be looking at a different oil filter tool. Removing the headers at every oil change would grow old for me very quickly. :)

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Are the Honda wings facing the correct direction?

·
Fastest snail on Earth
459 Posts
Was in the same situation like urs.
Broken headlight
fairing stay
oil cooler
digital speedo
left clip
top,left and right fairing and fender
chipped front wheel

Shop quoted 5k for repairs
Do my own repairs and source out parts from breakers
Total cost abt 2.5k
Satisfied...:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good job, I like the painting of the rear footpeg brackets. I am having both of mine annodized black while I am away on vacation and the plastics are getting painted. Good job doing the work yourself!
Thanks, I'm not into shiny silver bits at all! I painted the front forks, rear footpegs and still have to do the swingarm and rearsets. I painted the rear footpegs with cheap paint but will get some proper 2K paint later on (or get a cheap diy powder coating set). The front plastic is a bit dull and the side fairings need a nice painting and buffing but I'm doing that after my trip. :) It was either going on holiday, or getting the Bird 100% done!

Since I pretty much bought the bike specifically for long distance 2 up trips, and wasn't able to go on the trip last year due to crashing, I opted getting her 'ok' enough to use. :) I also really dislike paying other people for stuff I could probably do myself. :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. It's amazing what a little motivation and lack of funds can force us to accomplish. Nice job.

I do have to say, though, that I would be looking at a different oil filter tool. Removing the headers at every oil change would grow old for me very quickly. :)
I should have been clearer. I can get the filter off and on again using the tool but I can't get my torque wrench in there. I like things up to spec (not everything like fairing bolts but I always torque the important bits up to spec) but I just hand tightened it with the last oil change (about a month ago). I think I'll do it that way from now on! :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
looks great! just wondering how long that spray-can-paint is going to hold, specially on the exhaust...
I'm going to clear coat the tank and upper fairing witih proper 2K clear coat. That should hold up as well as a proper paint job. The 'normal' rattlecan clear coat is way too soft (in pic #3 you can see my other ride. A 1999 CBR600F4 that was originally yellow. That's all rattle can, and although it turned out real nice, the clear is fading and I'm going to repaint it with 2K paint before I sell it).

The exhaust has held up quite well. Especially the right side exhaust. Granted, I am careful when cleaning it. The left side has some peeling but I expected it to anyway. I recently came across a special tinting paint for chrome. I'll have to import it but 'black chrome' does sound mighty fine. I'm just not sure how well it will hold up on an exhaust since it's not high temp paint. The other option is getting it blasted and get some high temp powder coat put on. Depending on the price I'll either get it done or get a diy powder coating kit.

Mind you, I painted the exhausts last year, I ride year round and have almost put 20k kilometers since doing so. Not bad for a 20 buck exhaust paint job. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was in the same situation like urs.
Broken headlight
fairing stay
oil cooler
digital speedo
left clip
top,left and right fairing and fender
chipped front wheel

Shop quoted 5k for repairs
Do my own repairs and source out parts from breakers
Total cost abt 2.5k
Satisfied...:)
Damn that sucks! I was fortunate that most of my replacement parts are the cheap bits (except for the upper fairing but I repaired the one I had anyway). The only thing I don't do myself are tyre changes from the rim.... It's MUCH cheaper to do stuff yourself.

I did find a semi ok upper fairing to replace my current fairing with. All I would have to do is plastic weld the left mirror mount and paint it! My current fairing was so cracked and beaten up that I don't think I'll be able to get it perfect and some cracks around the headlight will probably show slightly through the paint.

How did you crash anyway?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Are the Honda wings facing the correct direction?
On the tank? Of course! I downloaded a Honda wing vector file from the internet. Downloaded a free vector editor program and swapped the wing around for the left side. The stickers cost me about 15 euros. I will later get the $50 ebay full sticker set to make it look more OEM. The left side fairing sticker is still fine but the right side has some scuffing on it. Since I want to repaint the side fairings anyway it's cheaper to get the full set instead of just the side fairing stickers. Most of the repairs I've done are temporary and the finishing touches will happen later on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the nice comments. You can imagine it's been a shit load of work! I blocked out how much sanding sucks after painting my other bike 2 years ago, it all came screaming back and then some!

·
Fastest snail on Earth
459 Posts
Damn that sucks! I was fortunate that most of my replacement parts are the cheap bits (except for the upper fairing but I repaired the one I had anyway). The only thing I don't do myself are tyre changes from the rim.... It's MUCH cheaper to do stuff yourself.

I did find a semi ok upper fairing to replace my current fairing with. All I would have to do is plastic weld the left mirror mount and paint it! My current fairing was so cracked and beaten up that I don't think I'll be able to get it perfect and some cracks around the headlight will probably show slightly through the paint.

How did you crash anyway?
Stupid Lexus pulled an E brake on me,saw my missus fly over me.Damn it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stupid Lexus pulled an E brake on me,saw my missus fly over me.Damn it.
Damn.. I'm guessing your (well, the Lexus') insurance covered it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great effort man! Looks a million times better allready!
Thanks!

I every now and again see a nice and shiny and undamaged black BB pass me and I melt. I yearrrnnnnn for my bike to look nice again..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.