Honda CBR XX Forum banner

Blackbird original pannier mounting kit upper stay and support brackets?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  sweanders 
#1 ·
Now I know this is a long shot, but I believe this is the best place to ask the question!
I happen to be fairly unlucky, as in my possession there is a set of original Blackbird hard panniers, and half of the mounting kit..
The problem is I am missing the upper stay and bracket supports. I've got the panniers and both side stays.
Asked my local Honda dealer for missing bits, checked ebay, now I'm digging through google, with mixed success - was able to find a few bits, but the prices for old discontinued stuff are astronomic, and putting together what I found, would most likely be enough to buy a Givi system brand new :)

Is anyone in a similar situation? Perhaps we could help each other?
The only alternative I see is to put this out on Ebay, I've got only 5 months to prep for my annual eurotrip, and it would be a shame not having any proper luggage kit!

#2 ·
The upper stay is not that complicated, it's really just a bent piece of tubing with a couple of steel plates welded on at the grab bar mount locations and some cross-mounted pipe at the end. You already have the two tricky bits in your hand. If it were me, I'd be looking at having the upper stay fabricated.

#7 ·
Was your Mrs out when you took those photos? Kitchen sink and bike bits ..... or did you get her to wash them off first :clap:

Yes they could be fabbed easily ..... you could even do it yourself if you have/have access to a pipe bender and welder.

#9 ·
Hi,
Thank you all for you replies, I believe it would not be too hard to fabricate they look simple indeed :)
However i do not have the measurements nor the original part to copy - and based on pictures it will be impossible for anyone to do this.
I will try to find someone local who has a rack like this - see if I can borrow the part and have it machined, if I won't be able to get anyone to help - I'll just see if my panniers sell on evilbay. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.