Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got any recommendations for a headstock stand to fit an ‘04 Blackbird? I need to get the forks off...... I bought a universal BikeTek one with a 21mm pin but it fouls on the horn bracket..... ?
Cheers,
Bigface

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I think if your running the stock horn location that there will be no steering stem stand that will work. For the time and trouble, I just simply remove that horns bracket for major front end work. I bought a cheap set of stands....one for the steering stem...the other simply fits under the fork legs. The stem stand came with a selection of pins...but as luck would have it..none fit the XX. So I made an adapter. The required diameter for the XX stem is 7/8" inch as I recall. Picture attached.

More words and pictures located here: https://www.cbrxx.com/suspension-tires-wheels-brakes/27157-front-wheel-lifter.html#post373400

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aye that makes sense - if the front end is coming off it’s no drama removing the horn bracket.

Cheers,

BF.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for info - tried this again with the horn bracket removed and a 21mm pin - it fitted but was so unsteady there was no way I was leaving it up on there - a disaster waiting to happen. Others may have more success with a 7/8” (22.5mm) pin as TigreST suggests but I’d really recommend against the BikeTek stand - I’m going for strapping the back end down instead. ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Bigface, agreed, can be done without special tools.

1. Start project on an empty tank (not you, the bike. You can be loaded).
2. With bike resting normally on the ground, crack free any nuts/bolts that you will encounter on this project.
3. With bike on center stand, raised by an approx. 1 inch thick scrap wood under stand , place hydraulic car jack under front of header pipes and carefully jack front wheel off ground. For a little safety, tie bike to local structure with ropes/straps.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You are using a rear stand at the same time right?
Partsguy, I assume you mean me. No. I just secure it very well with ratchet straps to the building structure so it will not move. But yes, a rear stand would be a good idea here.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I think I know where Partsguy is going with this. I have also not used a rear stand or a steering stem stand and yet removed the front forks and triple trees in total. As mentioned above it's a case of jacking the bike up at the motor or at a location behind the steering stem frame tube. I've used a combination of both motor and steering stem frame tube locations to enable front forks and triple tree removal. Key was, in my mind, to ensure the centerstand would not fold up should there be any sort of weight shift while doing the work. To this end I used a tie down strap to pull the center stand legs forward to lock them in the down position. Jacking was via a automotive roller floor jack and jack stands..with a bottle jack thrown in for good measure. At the time I was doing this work, my kids were very young,..enter into the garage area was "Verboten!" , which is still true it the bikes are apart in any major way.

The other jacking option that is realtively inexpensive is the center lift jack (see attachment). Although ideal it is a bit problematice if you have fairing or exhaust systems that hang below the chassis.

One other thing. If your using or going to purchase a fork tube lift (see XX front end picture attached below) the is some assembly required is some cases. The unit pictured I modified so the pivot pockets moved more inboard toward the fork tubes. To do this I had to drill another hole or two in each pivot to allow more adjustment,. It's a good idea to do this I think. Just ensure you allow for the brake rotor carries to clear the pivot pockets so you can spin the wheel as needed. Secondly: Those pivot pockets only work if installed correctly..as I have done in the picture. If you get them reversed, the wrong pocket on the wrong side of the stand...the fork tubes will not be held securely and the forks may actually slip off the pivot pockets perches. Buddy gave up using this type of stand because of this. I reversed the pivots from side to side and hey presto works fine.

T.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,997 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
"I think I know where Partsguy is going with this. I have also not used a rear stand or a steering stem stand and yet removed the front forks and triple trees in total. As mentioned above it's a case of jacking the bike up at the motor or at a location behind the steering stem frame tube."

It has always been necessary to use a rear stand when using a front stand, that's right from the designers (like Hindle who came out with one of the very first ones). But I've never tried with a centre stand in place so that might work too.
Tony, the method you speak of is one I have used and EVERY mechanic I've worked with uses, in fact they rarely use a stem mount but then again they also have the use of overhead chain hoists(for lack of a better word) as well. Problem with blocks underneath is getting the balance right. I keep telling myself one day I will make a proper formed wood adapter, lol, one day.

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts
Without sounding smug I have to say buying my Skylift was one of the best things I have ever done. Level lift, nose up, nose down, it does it all. Moves around the garage on wheels so that I can get the other bikes in at the end of the day if the job isn't completed. Swaps between bikes just by swapping pick up adaptors. Easily breaks down so it takes up minimum space in my horribly overcrowded garage.

But most importantly it is very stable even when I have the Bird lifted very high.

IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Duck, Al,
I’ve often seen relatively cheap auto winch units for sale rated between 1200-1500lbs capacity. The idea would be to use one of these as a garage roof unit for lifting/holding bikes or parts of bikes in the air. Great as a stabilizer for front end work. As yet no progress on this idea. Duck your Bursig (think that’s the brand?) style lift is still tops for a stand alone unit.

T

·
Super Moderator
12,547 Posts
... Duck your Bursig (think that’s the brand?) style lift is still tops for a stand alone unit.
T
Its actually an Abba stand made here in the UK https://abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?item=sky-lift&pid=44

This subject is close to my heart since I have run out of room for my latest build, I'm currently pondering on some steelwork and a winch so I can lower the bike to work on it and then raise it at the end of the day :smilebig:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am seriously considering getting one of these. (On the Toys list) I have the flatbed lift table that I find I don't have enough room around it to work on a bike so it only ever seems to ever have a bike parked on it.
My bird is currently up on my centre lift stand. As you may know from my 'Progress and Snags' post, I have been working on drilling my exhaust port studs out and this just isn't really high enough.
Now an AbbaStand would really be good for that job...… :nod:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts