Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
First post on here so please be gentle.

I have a UK registered bike, but I am in the army and based in Germany, so I want to import my bike to Germany under the British Forces Germany (BFG) system. The process includes a selection of checks and one of the things they look at is the way the headlights go - UK we drive on the left, Germany on the right; most vehicles have lights which flick to the side when on low beam, and obviously this needs to be adjusted when you change sides to avoid blinding oncoming road users. So, my question is; does the headlight on a Blackbird flick to the side when dipped, or just down? The obvious way to check this would be to point the bike at a wall with the headlight on and see if the light is flat or sloped to one side, but my bike is in England and I am in Germany. Sadly, if the light does go flick to the side, I will have to get a whole new headlight unit as German law won't accept a stick-on reflector (I already had to get new lights for my car).

Thanks for your advice. Oh, and if someone has their bike handy, could they go shine the light on a wall for me and see if the light is flat or slanty? Thanks.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
:welcome: Dan

So, my question is; does the headlight on a Blackbird flick to the side when dipped, or just down?
simple question and a quite simple answer.
1. Digital dash UK Birds (2002 - ) had a flat beam - didn't dip to either side.
2. The headlights fitted to earlier Birds dipped to the side of the road so UK Birds dipped to the left.

So if you have a 2002 onwards Bird with a digi dash and the original headlight you should be OK .............. or if you have an earlier Bird that has had a post 2002 light fitted you should also be OK .................. otherwise you will probably be looking for a new unit.

If you do have to change the headlight there is a big demand for them so you should be able to get decent money for your old one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Duck,
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. Alas I have an early bird with an analogue dash, so she probably dips the wrong way. That there is a high demand rather cuts both ways, as I may get good money for the old one, but then I'll have to shell out good money for a new one. Hmm, would a post-2002 light fit an earlier 'bird or do I have to get a vintage one? Otherwise I could just get a flat one wherever it's cheaper,?

Dan

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
The lights are interchangable, you 'just' need to find one. They do occasionally appear on Ebay but the ones I have seen in the past have been rather poor. I know David Silver Spares now only deal in pre 2000 parts but it might be worth sending them an Email if you get desparate, I always work on the 'don't ask don't get' principal!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Duck,
Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply. Alas I have an early bird with an analogue dash, so she probably dips the wrong way. That there is a high demand rather cuts both ways, as I may get good money for the old one, but then I'll have to shell out good money for a new one. Hmm, would a post-2002 light fit an earlier 'bird or do I have to get a vintage one? Otherwise I could just get a flat one wherever it's cheaper,?

Dan
I suggest you should be able to sell your existing RHD lamp for enough to subsequently fund it's LHD replacment but you might need to search for a LHD headlamp over there or on Spanish ebay or whatever as probably unlikely to find a lot in UK though you may also prefer to keep your existing lamp for any potential return to UK. I have a 1998 Bird coming to me sometime in January that's a "grey import" ie. presently running a continental LHD Headlight. Today I bought it a RHD lamp for it so it's existing LHD lamp will probably go up for sale in due course. Drop me a PM and we can discuss if of interest. However, I wasn't planning to actually change the lamps over until probably April and that might not fit for you - but worth discussing I guess. I wouldn't want to commit until the RHD lamp is in my hands but that likely to be only a week or ten days away.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
:welcome: Dan

simple question and a quite simple answer.
1. Digital dash UK Birds (2002 - ) had a flat beam - didn't dip to either side.
2. The headlights fitted to earlier Birds dipped to the side of the road so UK Birds dipped to the left.

So if you have a 2002 onwards Bird with a digi dash and the original headlight you should be OK .............. or if you have an earlier Bird that has had a post 2002 light fitted you should also be OK .................. otherwise you will probably be looking for a new unit.
Intresting info there Duck do you know if that pertains to all digital birds on either side of the pond?

·
Super Moderator
12,714 Posts
Intresting info there Duck do you know if that pertains to all digital birds on either side of the pond?
Not 100% but the info I was given some years ago by Honda was that all lights were changed at that time to a flat beam pattern no matter where they went. In the UK there was a period where a large % of bikes sold were parallel import so lights were a big issue when it came to the yearly test. My enquiry was based around that issue so I didn't make specific US enquiries.

·
Super Moderator
8,542 Posts
Ok
I'll check into it and thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts