Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,
(Beloved) - Blackbird XXY 2000 model 30k miles, left the heated grips on and discharged the battery, managed to get a jump and battery recharged fine but a couple of days later the clocks went haywire and died - both odo and rev counter -plus headlight dimmed and no indicators. carried on ok for about 5 miles and then lost all power from the engine, was pulling over and suddenly came back to life managed another 60-70 miles and clocks died again but came back to life before losing any power. Im guessing rectifier/voltage regulator or alternator maybe? any help for my big poorly girl appreciated. Thanks in advance.:crap:

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
:welcome: from austria where we have cold fingers too right now...

isn´t 30k a bit early for a fried r/r?
That was my thoughts too then I checked my records and 'daily bird' had a full set (battery, reg/rec and stator) at 38414 miles.

I would back up Nutters post, especially wrt the stator output since that is the weak point on the inj model, rather than the reg/rec which was the weak point on the Carbies.

Whilst you are looking at the electricals check that the loop fix has been carried out (if you haven't already!).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced my R/R at 20k. Put aftermarkets on and blew 2 more. (Get OEM R/R). Typically, once R/R goes you only have pwr thats left on the battery; bike won't power up until its been charged. Before replacing anything, disconnect battery, unscrew the main grounding cable from frame. (I have a 97..its located on left subframe under frame member). Clean all oxidation from frame and copper connections, lubricate and reconnect. The aluminum frame and copper grounding connection are disimilar materials and corrodes when touching over time...maybe causing a ground short.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi,
Had same problem , clocks went haywire and i broke down, my alternator had blown taking the R/R with it. Am hoping yours isnt the same but those symptoms do lead to the charging system i think.
Take care buddy

Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts