Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
scoffer
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following a large accident I now have a stripped down blackbird with, among other things, several broken electrical components:
  1. broken kill switch and starter button,
  2. instrument cluster that works except for speedo LCD which is all blackened from impact (all other warning lights etc appear to work),
  3. all blinkers broken,
  4. and both keys with sheared off plastic heads. One of the keys had a coded HISS transponder, and the other key had a HISS transponder but was not coded.
  5. (see http://www.cbrxx.com/introductions/8962-new-bird-project-hopeful-4.html#post233708 for more info if you are interested)
So here is my dilemma. I cannot start the bike, and do not want to continue repairing the rest of the bike if it is actually never going to start.

I found one of the missing HISS transponders at the crash site, but don't know which key it came from as they both had broken heads. The transponder does not appear to be encoded because the bike wont start. But I am not sure this is absolutely so because some other problem might be preventing the bike from starting. How does one tell, unequivocally, that one has the correct transponder (apart from the obvious starting of the engine)? I am getting the engine cranking over with some hot-wiring of the broken kill switch and starter button. I have wired the headlight so that it is on, but the bike still will not start. The starter motor turns over, but there is no sound of fuel pump and HISS light only appears when the starter motor is engaged. The F1 and oil light are on all the time. The battery is near new and good quality.

Does one have to have all blinkers plugged in before HISS will allow the engine to start? I have located the Tip Over Switch and made sure that it is the right way up.

I guess I dont want to go to all the expense of buying another ECU and keys, only to find out that they were not the problem anyway.

Any ideas at all appreciated.
Jon (Adelaide Australia)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cut a new key and put the chip from the old key in the new one (gently lift up the Honda badge on the key) then cross your fingers and hope that it's the chip with the code in it, you can then program new keys from the old one

tip - never be exposed with only one programed key

·
Administrator
12,938 Posts
Get in touch with TheDuck.
He may be able to help man!
We have already exchanged pm's. However......... Jon your post above differs from your pm in that you now have the key chip from the crash site (you didn't when I replied) .......... if that is correct and it is your chip you should be able to get it checked. As a temporary measure tape the chip to the transponder that sits around the ignition barrel and use a key in the barrel. The chip doesn't have to be in the key just in close proximity to the transponder.

I don't know of a check which will tell you if you have the correct chip for your ECM, was the crash site a regular one, what chance is there that you would find a stray chip there?

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Couple of things i noticed in your comments..

1, you say that the FI light is on all the time.. It shouldnt be,, It should go off after the ECU has done its basic test, this tells you that there is something wrong other than HISS
2, you also say that the oil light is on constant,, this should also go out while cranking..
3, you dont need your headlight wired to start the bike, in fact honda turns it off for better cranking speed.
4, The bike can be started with dash and indicators removed so these are not required.

hope that helps some..

·
scoffer
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Geoffxx: The keys were already broken with transponders missing, only one which I have found. I have tried puting it in the key as you described, but it still does not start. I think this is the transponder that was not encoded. Your comment about not having a spare key encoded is quite right, but I learned too late.

Elvetoast: thanks again for looking out for me.

Duck: I only found the other transponder chip recently on one last look through the bag of plastic scraps from the crash site. When I found it it was like I had found gold, but it was not to be, as it was the transponder that was not encoded. In other words, I had two honda keys on the same clip, but only one would start the bike. Both keys were damaged in the accident, but the transponder I found was from the one that would not start the bike before (or at least I think that is the one I found).

Ugly: I am interested in your comment about the F1 light. What else might it be telling me? When I crank the bike the HISS light comes on, but goes off when I stop cranking. I will check tomorrow if the oil and F1 light do the same thing. As far as I remember they both just stay on all the time. Might the damaged speedo LCD have anything to do with it? I have been through the wiring and all seems okay as it is quite a low km bike. Note, I have no blinkers or other lights attached. As I have been repairing the sub frame, I have also unhooked much of the relays, the regulator and things from their original positions and they are just hanging there. I have checked the little yellow connector in the wiring loom near the left foot peg and it was fine. I have located the Tip Over Switch and have it the right way up, but still nothing.

Any suggestions of what the F1 light can mean?

Jon

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts

·
Administrator
12,938 Posts
Just a 'final' check on the HISS system, have you checked continuity between the transponder unit (the bit that goes round the ignition barrel) and the ECM? Just thinking that a wire might have broken en route. If this is correct do tape the key chip to the transponder and try to start the bike again .......... that way you should be certain that you have found the non encoded chip (not what we want but at least you will know where you stand)

·
scoffer
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for late reply. Well, I have been fiddling again and found that when I crank the bike, the oil light goes out after a second, but the F1 light stays on the whole time. I have checked the HISS receiver wiring and there seems to be no problems with the connection to the ECU. I have downloaded the manual but have yet to go through it and check for the F1 errors.

I do think that I have the wrong un-encoded chip. I have arranged with a friend to borrow a metal detector and go back to crash site and try just one more time.

Thanks again for the help.
Jon

·
NEED WORK!
7,451 Posts
Good luck with it Jon!
If you come across another injected bird around your woods, just ask them to swap the ecu on to your bike for a 5 min test man.
Having said that, I am sure that I have seen somewhere on the web that they can now code new keys to an old ecu too.
Cant seem to find the link though...

·
Administrator
12,938 Posts
Good luck with it Jon!
If you come across another injected bird around your woods, just ask them to swap the ecu on to your bike for a 5 min test man.
Having said that, I am sure that I have seen somewhere on the web that they can now code new keys to an old ecu too.
Cant seem to find the link though...
Don't bother yourself looking for that link Chris I've already pinged it to Jon on a pm ...... Lost Keys - ecu master=

1 - 13 of 13 Posts