Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original write-up: Spring, 2005

My Blackbird's engine, at ~60,000 miles, has been sounding like a "bag-o-marbles" for quite some time now. We had a Group Buy for the X-11 Cam Chain Tensioner (a much improved design, we are told) almost two years ago, but I never got around to installing it. Finally did so today, and the engine is silent as a tomb compared to what it was rattling like before!

This took all of 10 minutes to do, and over half of that was removing/reinstalling the right-side cowling.

For those that haven't replaced their's yet, here's a brief summary:

Here is the X-11 Chain Chain Tension kit, comprise of the CCT itself, and the CCT gasket, which is p/n 14523-MAL-A00 on the left (gasket hidden behind cardboard packaging):

x11_kit.jpg

The CCT is located on the outboard right-side of the engine, slightly covered by the rear of the upper radiatior hose and coolant return line. It's held in place by two 5mm socket head bolts. Once these two bolts are removed, the old CCT lifts straight out. Here is the resultant opening, with traces of the old green gasket that I need to clean off:

View attachment 781

Here's is the nice clean, shiny-black X-11 CCT that replaces the oem silver CCT. The X-11 CCT comes "pre-wound", with the windings held in place by a small steel "key" that you can just see inserted at the top of the CCT:

View attachment 782

The old silver factory CCT had an 8mm bolt installed at the very top of the CCT, though I'm not sure it it had any real function other that to keep dirt/debris away from the opening. The X-11 CCT did not come with this bolt, but just in case it does serve a purpose, I decided to move it over to the X-11 version. Note small steel "key" that I just removed from the new CCT, allowing the Tensioner's "plunger" to descend as designed:

View attachment 783

Ready to rock! CCT installed, bolts torqued, 8mm end cap in place.

View attachment 784

·
Registered
85 Posts
Warchild, is the part# you gave just for the gasket, or is it for the cct and gasket.Is this part# available from the local stealers? Last year I installed the silver one with the 2 green dots (updated?) and it made quite a difference, so we will see how long the 2 dot cct lasts, I do like the Black colour, though. BBB

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warchild, is the part# you gave just for the gasket, or is it for the cct and gasket.Is this part# available from the local stealers? Last year I installed the silver one with the 2 green dots (updated?) and it made quite a difference, so we will see how long the 2 dot cct lasts, I do like the Black colour, though. BBB
Part number 14523-MAL-A00 is a normal Honda part number for the gasket, available at any Honda dealer. 99% of the time they will have to order the gasket.

The CCT part shown in this thread is not in the North American Honda parts inventory to my knowledge; it is from the X-11 that was sold in Japan, IIRC.

Hoewever, John01XX sells the latest CCT (an OEM Honda part) for the Blackbird at a killer price, so PM him and ask.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the write-up and pics. Very informative and well worth knowing. My 'bird has about 22k so I'm probably good for awhile (no noises yet) but it's nice to be aware of the problem and the necessary proper fix. Thanks again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
warchild,
I pulled the P/N from the picture for the X-11 but my local honda dealer could not find it! Could you please supply me with the correct part number and/or the right place to look? Thanks. -gudgravy

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
To get an X-11 CCT you have to have a connection overseas where they are available. Also expensive I might add!

Only the US spec CCT (lifter set) is available here in the States.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The X-11 CCT was one of the best up grades I did. Very quite now. In fact I think I purchased two. Might have an extra one some where. How often do we need to change these darn things anyway? If I don't have to change it again and I can find it, might be willing to part with my extra one.

Ken

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi guys, I just join your site today but if I can offer some advice, I have owned 4 blackbirds and ridden over 93000 miles on blackbirds I had the same problem with my cct and changed it for the "Billet" adjustable and have never had a problem yet in the past 52000 miles. Hope this helps

·
Registered
88 Posts
Apperantly, they're more reliable and longer lasting (if you adjust them properly...apparently). If you get it installed properly, you shouild be golden for the life of your bike (with the automatic ones, you'll replace them around the same time as your chain and sprockets...so I hear).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a raddle in my engine when the bike hits over 1 grand going towards 2 grand. Would this be the CCT? If so, do I just need to buy the CCT and install the 2 bolts and the noise will go away? Seems a little unreal. If someone has done this, please leave your email info so I can email you or contact you on the phone. Thanks- Alex

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
So you don't like 'em?:idunno:

It isn't so much a question of like or Diss- like.

On one hand, my XX has 38000k and I was on my 3rd auto CCT. So, putting a manual unit on looked like the way to go.(made sense)

But, on the other hand.....

What I didn't (don't) like about the APE unit was, the fact the the instructions that came with it made perfect sense, until I read them a few times....and then they didn't. Also, while doing some research on installing the APE , I found that there were 12 different suggestions from different folks, on how to properly adjust the thing.

It would seem to me that for something as important as a manual CCT, there should only be 1 or 2 different ways to set one up....not 12.

As for the how it turned out...well, I do live in the artic, and can't fully test this CCT out until March in AZ. But, that being said, I have run and run the crap out of my engine in the shop, and so far so good.

Maybe I would recommend the APE to more people if there was a absolute clear set of instructions, that left no doubt.

But until APE or Warchild or myself, writes these instructions to go with the APE unit, I still say that the average guy, working out of his car garage with simple hand tools should stick to the Honda unit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
But until APE or Warchild or myself, writes these instructions to go with the APE unit, I still say that the average guy, working out of his car garage with simple hand tools should stick to the Honda unit.
Sounds good. That's what I did. Hell, even if you gotta do it every 15-20k miles, it's only $35 and 40 min. Like John said, just consider it a maintenance that's needed about the same time that your chain and sprockets need to be replaced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I went to Honda today and it's called a lifter Set for $38.99. Has anyone just installed this 2 bolt part and had succsess?? The cam chain tensioner is $80.99 and I believe you have to take the engine apart to install it. If anyone has good answers please let me know. Did the bird come with a CCT that was automatic?

1 - 20 of 286 Posts