Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have small question by the way. I found a bike. I don't want to spend thousands on the bike. That bike I want is 1999 Blackbird totally standard. One owner from new not used since 2010 (kept in the garage).
Owner is in his fiftieths nice older man who used to work as bike instructor for 20 years. Bike starts OK. You can hear clutch noise but if lever depressed noise goes away. Oil is brown and clean.

It has fresh chain sprockets, pads and tires. Battery is dead and guy says that there is a small leak in the radiator.

Now straight to the point...

Bike has covered 60000 miles one owner. Is it a lot of miles for a Blackbird or it will run for next thousands of miles if maintained properly ?

Please advise on the mileage. That is only one thing that puts me off it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Do not let the milage deter you from a well maintained Bird as you indicate this one is. If it's a good price, go for it. We can help you sort out any issues. Mine is a one owner Bird, '02, with 200,003 kms and runs and looks great. Honda built a bullet proof in-line four that is a great motor. IMHO

Mmmm, nice older man in his fifties, WTF

Reactions: silverja1866

·
Super Moderator
12,716 Posts
Well I ride my +80K mile 99 Bird daily, 60K is not a lot for a well maintained Bird and that one sounds to have been looked after ....... I say go for it if the price is right and you are happy to sort the small niggles.

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Daily driver as well 3 stator's because of AZ heat (110 F) and 2 CCT's and reliable as john deere tractor just a whole lot faster hehe

IMG_2593r.jpg

Reactions: flymyassoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@ CanadianBird
D
on't get me wrong the guy is 23 years older then me maybe that is why I said "nice older man".

Bike started fairly ok after a couple of years. It was quite rough start. In my opinion it was running on 3 cylinder at the beggining and that was when you could hear clutch quite badly. It had old fuel in the tank and we added 5 liters of fresh unleaded without draining a tank maybe that was a reason for hard start. After couple of minutes 4th cylinder fired and it was running sweet clutch noise was reduced next to zero.

Bike needs some cleaning and owner said that it was getting quite hot when stuck in the traffic during hot days. He said also that there is a small radiator leak and he needed to top up coolantquite often. Bodywork is like new.
He said that he has second key somewhere but at the moment there is only one key.
Bike had voltage regulator changed at standard 55000 and also rear suspension done I mean shock replaced at 52000. It still has original grips. It's a really nice bike for age but that mileage ...

I'm quite interested in it. I have my own little garage and some mechanic skills. I like working on the bikes and had a motorcycle since I was 10 years old.

The only issue I have now is mileage. I read a lot about that but still it is 14 years old bike with 60000 miles on the clock.

Thanks for quick replies.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Tom
as you noticed I have 100K on mine now I have only had to add gas change the oil and filter every 6K (synthetic) and clean the K&N. For setting that long and firing that easily and him being the only owner I would buy it if the price is right. When you get it home clean it up run some fuel system cleaner through it change the oil and plugs do the loom fix slip in the 6mm shim and then take a long weekend. I say this because once you get rolling your not going to want to stop except for gas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all answers.

You guys are starting to make me think... oh listen to them and go for it.

I will check on Tuesday how much my insurance is going to be.

I had my leg broken on 18.10.2012 as a result of motorbike crash. It was non fault accident. I have 6 points on my licence and 2 claims so insurance premium can be high.

Anyway... I will probably get it ?

Tom

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Before I binned mine last weekend it had 109k on the clock and no engine problems at all .... bullet proof.

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
That's 4,235. Miles a year more or less. What's the price? Then think what you can buy with that sum that would be remotely comparable to a CBR1100XX

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,013 Posts
Al Birds have noisy clutches.thats their charm.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
i bought mine a week ago with over 97k miles. didn't run when i bought it, basically fresh fuel and a check up a she runs slick. she was well maintained so i expect a lot more miles from her.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Buy real estate, three most important things to consider: location, location, location.

Buy used vehicle: condition, condition, condition. Mileage is secondary.

Also: how many miles are you gonna put on it each year? Is it gonna be a primary recreational or commuting vehicle? If recreational, go for cheap. If commuting, you need more reliable, look for lower mileage, more recent vehicle. I bought a 2001 Bird with 57 000 kms. Recreational. If it breaks down and I have to wait for parts, no biggie.

All things considered, make your choice.

Good luck,

Fly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all answers :thumb:

Price is 1500 GBP

I will mostly use it for pleasure But I consider light commuting 10 miles each way also.

I will probably be looking at 10000 miles per year.

Regards

Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,546 Posts
Thanks for all answers :thumb:

Price is 1500 GBP

I will mostly use it for pleasure But I consider light commuting 10 miles each way also.

I will probably be looking at 10000 miles per year.

Regards

Tom
HeHe he says that now wait till he takes it for a ride

Reactions: flymyassoff

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
holly molly turecki:huh::huh:,id buy a bike off a nice older man.shit cb what does that make us,ha ha ha,go with your guts young man what have you got to lose.drop all fluids,give her a good clean up and start your own maintenance chart from now,any thing your not sure of,the guys here will help you thru your dramas,gut instinct is always the way to go.trust a nice older man,buy the bugger if price is righr,cheers kev:clap::clap:

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Are you sure the rad is the problem? It could be as simple as a bad rad cap allowing too much coolant into the expansion bottle and dumping it on the ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts