Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's why I've joined here!

Joining the motorcycle scene back in 2013 on my trusty CB500, I've toured most parts of Europe on the little machine. I've even joined the IBA on it, doing a 1200 mile run to southern France in one go. The CB500 has its own dedicated spot in my shed and I couldn't dream of parting with it. But having heard tales of the 'bird's amazing powers, I've put it on my bucket list. Things to do before I kick the bucket...

Now, it so happens I've just been laid off along with 25 of my colleagues. Local regulations stipulate compensation to be paid to loyal employees in situations like this, so I've got a nice onetime-payout coming my way in a few months.
Time to get hold of a Blackbird.

But I'm not one to just walk into a random store and buy what's on sale today. Nooo sir! First, I'll try to educate myself on the subject. And that's why I'm here now, writing this introduction. To tell y'all that I'll be reading what's on this forum. Then, as I gain traction, I'll start asking questions. And finally I'll go buy a bike, hopefully ending up with a good one.

And then, if all goes well, I'll eventually get old and wise and return the favor by answering questions from newbies and generally being pleasant company. This, however, is a thing of the future. For now, none of my knowledge is rooted in anything Blackbirdish, meaning you'll have to put up with my antics just like that :)

Facts: 55 years old. Electrical engineer. Native danish speaker; non-native english speaker (I'm trying). Owns a CB500 Y-reg and a ST70 (1973). Affinity for wacky and/or out-of-the-ordinary mechanics.

Cheers,
Martin

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,487 Posts
You have joined the most informative best signal to noise ratio forum there is! So much help and clear answers. Welcome. Enjoy the beast when you get her. And might i say your electrical engineering might come in handy. ;) Looking back on it I would have liked to have been an engineer but the brain in those early days didnt realise its potential. So im playing catchup with the help of brother who actually had a brain when he was younger!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome aboard Stormbringer! Fellow fighter pilot! Lots to see and read. On anything you can think of concerning Blackbirds. Your in the right place. Ride Safe! And oooooh boy! Yur in for a treat!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all :)
As already said, I ride a mediumweight CB500 today and has stuck with it for 7 years/~50k miles, learning the ropes of travelling on a motorcycle. I have little interest in the racing-thing but would like to go further, safer and probably a bit faster as well (with the 500 I sit comfortably at 70 mph), to reach the far corners of Europe and whatnot. Here, it's worth noticing that my country Denmark sits 'on top' of Germany, meaning anytime I go south, I will inevitably enter the german Autobahn-infrastructure. Which to my knowledge is the only place in the world offering no speed limit...
The germans know this and make good use of it!
A memory of me riding north (at 2AM in the night) on A7 near Hannover pops up; I'm going at the CB's maximum cruise speed of 100 mph/8000 rpm, hunkered down behind the tankbag, yet getting whooshed by big black Audis/Mercs/Ferraris/Porsches zipping by in the left lane every minute, doing 150. I'm feeling very tiny...
Travelling through Germany on the Autobahn at night is effective - if you've got the right kit. I dream of doing the Germany-transit in less than 12 hours, making a one-day ride to eg Milan or Turin possible, maybe even comfortable. I know; the CB will do the same, but it's a struggle really. Thus the wish for something more.

Hmmm... What do people use their 'birds for? I suspect many are travellers too?

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Well she does like 100 mph which is about her stride. But she does get a bit thirsty at that pace.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts