Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys im sure theres been lots of threads on this kind of problem, but im a little depressed and mistified! saturday morning i want to go for a ride, kit on start the bike turns over and wont start.

background: bike was running fine a week ago. never had any problems with it.
things ive done: checked the ground connector under the seat next to the fuel tank. generaly looked at wiring, nothings seems out of place., cleaned battery terminals., fuel filter is brand new (infact seems to not start since i fitted it) tried opening the air box and stating it, nothing!
Bike turns over fine, but its as if its not firing?!, a couple flames shot out the exhaust at one point trying to start it.

My questions are:
any way to check that fuel is being delivered ok? im sure its not the problem, pump is priming fine. (any chance its flooded? its an FI)
could it be the reg/rec? how to check?
last thing i want to do is pull the plugs out (just because of the hastle) any way of checking that there getting current without dismantling to much.
Plus i doubt all 4 have gon!

could it be the lean sensor? can it be checked?

any input apreciated

thanks

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
One means to check if you have available ignition to the cylinders is to provide a secondary/temporary fuel source to the cylinders. This can be done with can of "Engine Starter Fluid", which is more commonly known as "Ether". Here in the Great White North we use it for winter starts when a motor may not like to fire in cold sub zero temperatures. I also us it (very sparingly) as a trouble shooting tool. With a FI machine you may only need to spray the stuff into the nose cone inlet ports which lead to the airbox while you crank the engine. If you get a resulting pop, snap, short duration engine run you will know that you have a working ignition and maybe that your not getting fuel to the throttle bodies.

CAUTION: This stuff is not good for engine internals like piston rings and such. Over use can lead to possible engine damage, it is said. DO NOT OVER DUE THE USE of the material. Short applications to the induction system is all that is required. It is extremely volatile, use in a well ventilated area.

T.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Just pull a lead off a plug and earth it if you can't be bothered to pull a plug. Least you know there's a spark going to the plug.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could you elaborate on that mate? if i pull the lead, which i ve done, already pulled a spark plug out which looked fine. but not sure how to test if current it getting there.

On old cross bikes i used to pull the plug and crank the engine and visualy see the plug spark, but not sure thats a good idea here

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
Yep It'll be fine just be sure you stay away from the screw driver metal. That CDI packs a bite.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
With the air box off and funnels out crank it over while spraying ether or brake cleaner into the throttle bodies,if it fires up (it will only run a couple seconds, you have no problems with spark.You can actually see the injectors spray fuel if they are working,with the air box off take a look at where they line up going into the bodies,tiny tip of the nozzle is just barely visible.
Pull the plugs,always the first thing that should be done,if you've just tried cranking it they will smell like fuel if no spark is the issue,no fuel - no scent of fuel will be on them.
Check the vacuum lines,go backward from the fpr to where they connect at the t's,make sure nothing has come apart.
Have a battery charger ready before you kill the battery.
Only time I've had a bike backfire and not start the coil wires were mixed up,but if you didn't pull the plugs before the problem, forget I just said that.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
With the air box off and funnels out crank it over while spraying ether or brake cleaner into the throttle bodies,if it fires up (it will only run a couple seconds, you have no problems with spark.You can actually see the injectors spray fuel if they are working,with the air box off take a look at where they line up going into the bodies,tiny tip of the nozzle is just barely visible.
Pull the plugs,always the first thing that should be done,if you've just tried cranking it they will smell like fuel if no spark is the issue,no fuel - no scent of fuel will be on them.
Check the vacuum lines,go backward from the fpr to where they connect at the t's,make sure nothing has come apart.
Have a battery charger ready before you kill the battery.
Only time I've had a bike backfire and not start the coil wires were mixed up,but if you didn't pull the plugs before the problem, forget I just said that.
Good info....
fixen to take my air box off tomorrow to get to the throttle cable ends on the throttle body's to install a larger diameter throttle tube for a full throttle quick twist.
just rippen it in Texas.
Stex, out

·
Registered
194 Posts
"fuel filter is brand new (infact seems to not start since i fitted it)"
Could this be the key? I don't know what you could have done wrong but might be worth a look.
Could it be turned the wrong way and would this make a difference?
I can't answer that but I seem to remember such filters being marked for flow direction!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ment the air filter sorry not the fuel.

Anyway problem solved, no idea how, took the air box of took a plug out to see it, looked perfect, checkd with the leads of that all for injectors where squirting, all good, fitted the leads back onto the plugs and it started up lol

who knows what is was!
running fine now. thanks for input guys

on another note, when i re oil the air filter or indeed fit a new one like i did now, it does like to heasitate the first start. ( i found in the past)

·
Super Moderator
8,375 Posts
Betting you had an connector issue, run it and the next time this happens re-seat each plug one at a time. Firing the bike between each connector to see if your problem clears. When it does the last one you touched is your culprit.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Do not spray just anything in the throttle bodies. They have a coating on them and it will get destroyed. You need FI only cleaner. Check the manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Man you guys were on it, I am pretty sure he appreciated the assist you guys provided, what a community.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts