Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new to this forum, I have a 97 cbr1100xx and have had it for 3 weeks and keep running into problems. I have a misfire again. The first time I replaced plugs and everything seemed as it was fixed until riding home from work last night. As I got 3 streets away from home bike suddenly started to miss and splutter under acceleration and idle. I feel this bike is killing my soul and it just happened out of the blue. And as always happens when I finally have days off to take the thing for a decent cruise. I have notice that sometimes the electrics like indicators and such work and don't work and dim n bright under acceleration but am sure there's more to it also. If anyone has and ideas or suggestions would be amazing. :) thankyou all in advance.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
Check the running voltage. Symptoms of low voltage. Probably the stator and potentially also the R/R and/or the battery. Using a multimeter the running voltage should be 12.5-14.5V rpm dependant.

There are fairly simple tests for the stator

1. test for low running voltage also check condition of large 3 pin connector(s) from stator to R/R (there may be more than 1) as they can melt and make sure battery is good.
2. Disconnect 3 pin (see 1) and test output stator voltage ALL 3 WAYS with engine running on battery power alone. Voltage should be roughly 60V at 5000rpm. Also, all 3 readings must be the same

· BirdDog
607 Posts
Has your CCT been replaced? After verifying any electrics issue(s), you might want to replace your CCT (recommend a “double green dot” OEM replacement). Sputtering and backfire under mid-rpm load is the common symptom and can be mistaken for an electrical problem. It’s a simple and quick fix. THEY ALL FAIL on the ‘bird. Usually around the 35,000 mile mark (I carry a spare). I’m on my third one at over 150,000 miles. Still have original coil packs and stator. Replaced my RR 100,000 miles ago as well. Still runs beautifully!

· Registered
608 Posts
G'day CBRguy,

97BB....carbie, right?

You really do need to do a multimeter check of the charging system before getting in deeper. But I thought I read before about carbie models running poorly when some of the cowlings/ducts aren't properly in place under the tank.

Maybe some of the gang on here can recall the details but have you or the previous owner done any mods recently?

Anyway, the voltage test......take battery off the charger 12hrs before. Read volts key off, should be around 12.6 then key on should be over 11.6 then as you crank but before it fires the "cold cranking" volts should be above 9.5 if all is well with the battery.

Once it fires the volts should rise to 13 at idle and 14.3 at fast idle or 1500rpm. Holding the revs at 5k should see no more than 14.5 (or 15?). This means the stator & rectifier are good.

If you get figures like these then everything is good, but you had a battery going flat issue which tends to be stator and/ or regulator related if the battery passes the above cold cranking figure.

Check these out and report back so the brains trust can figure out what's happening.

(y) Definitely look up and download the workshop manual for your model from the resources section - they are great manuals with good trouble shooting pointers.

Reactions: Cbr1100xxguy

· BirdDog
607 Posts
Also check that the fuel and vent lines (under the gas tank) are all connected in their proper place (see shop manual). You may have had one get loose and pop-off under pressure after you lifted and lowered the fuel tank changing the spark plugs. I’ve had this happen before! Simple to inspect. Just raise the tank from the rear and look under the bottom of the tank…should be three fittings and vent tube if I recall but verify in the shop manual the number of lines. If you don’t have a shop manual, you can download from this site!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts