Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Blackbird.
Always kept on battery tender when parked.

The last few days I've had some issues when the starter button is pressed. The lights immediately go out, clock goes out and she's dead in the water. I also have a voltage meter wired in and it doesn't show any voltage whatsoever.

After a few minutes, the bike is showing low voltage. It starts around 6 and climbs up to 9. Once, the voltage climbed back up to 12.8 and I started it without issue.

Is my battery toast or do I have some sort of intermittent electrical problem elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
As per adeyren check/ replace the battery, but.... Before going to the battery replacement place check for clean grounds on the bike. A bad ground can produce similar symptoms. I track the maintenance and mileage points on my bikes. One of the learned time points is battery age. New battery is on the radar at around 5 years old but I have run them out to 7 years. After that all bets are off, and a new one is the order of the day. Putting a meter across the battery terminals most often will show 12 volts, this means nothing as to battery life indicator.

T

·
Registered
4 Posts
1997 Blackbird.
Always kept on battery tender when parked.

The last few days I've had some issues when the starter button is pressed. The lights immediately go out, clock goes out and she's dead in the water. I also have a voltage meter wired in and it doesn't show any voltage whatsoever.

After a few minutes, the bike is showing low voltage. It starts around 6 and climbs up to 9. Once, the voltage climbed back up to 12.8 and I started it without issue.

Is my battery toast or do I have some sort of intermittent electrical problem elsewhere?
Hi Matthew

I had a similar problem with my 1998 Blackbird. In the Australian models, there is an electrical interlock between the starter button and the headlight system. I'm not sure if the Canadian bikes are similar. My bike had a problem with the right hand switch block. Replacing it fixed the problem.

Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts