Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Hair dryer or, if you're careful, a heat gun. If you are exceptionally careful you can get away with a propane or MAPPS torch, but only the very foolhardy or disturbed would use this near a fuel tank.

A heat gun will work best to soften the adhesive enough to peel the pad up, then some varsol, gasoline, or Goof-Off to remove the residual adhesive. Follow this up with a coat of wax and voila.

·
WB9YPA
438 Posts
If you are exceptionally careful you can get away with a propane or MAPPS torch, but only the very foolhardy or disturbed would use this near a fuel tank.
Oxy-Acetylene torch :eyebrows: :rotfl:

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Start with the hair dryer,you'll have to heat up a section at a time,heating the pad glue as you go.Any leftover adhesive can be remove without damage to the paint with...believe it...carb cleaner.I have only used Honda carb cleaner for this,I have also used it to remove shoe polish off my windshield.
'cause that's what they use at the dragstrip.What were you thinking?

·
Resident Eh?hole.
17,177 Posts
Carb cleaner? Really? And on your windshield too? This is going to come in handy after my next trip to the city.

Damned jay walkers have a surprise coming to'em now...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you.

Will try hair dryer. I think I might have some goo gone, think that will work for the residual glue?

I got a new tank pad to put on, as the one that's on there is pretty beat up. I found a motografix pad I liked a lot.

·
follically challenged
10,716 Posts
btw for the gum: ordinairy oil (yes. that one from the kitchen) does it! it weakens the molecular binding of the glue. takes some time but is safe for PC (windshield) and acrly-paint

·
A Rainbird Warrior
5,154 Posts
Lift a bit up and use some mineral turps to soften the glue and peel off, then clean the tank with the turps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Replaced my tankpad recently. I learnt there's something else you should be aware of; colour fade.
Mine's red, and the pad had shielded the underlying paint, meaning I now have a quite visible 'shadow' of the old pad to look at. Not sure if this applies to other colours than red - rumour has it, red is particularly susceptible to fading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts