Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi to all of you guys, as far as steering bearings are concerned, I would like to ask who knows more than me, what are the best bearings? original equipment the xx offers tapered bearings? thanks
hi to all of you guys, as far as steering bearings are concerned, I would like to ask who knows more than me, what are the best bearings? original equipment the xx offers tapered bearings? thanks

·
Registered
801 Posts
The OEM bearings are ball bearings.

Taper roller bearings are for me an upgrade and lighten up the steering nicely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you recommend me some brand of conical bearings?

mi consiglieresti qualche marca di cuscinetti conici?

·
Super Moderator
8,149 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
i have the stock ball set and as long as you keep them greased, clean and well sealed and without slop they should last a long time
if you are a go fast kid then the stiffness of the tapers may be an advantage

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an 05 BB..... it had ball bearings oem and they only lasted 34,000kms. I have replaced bearings several times with tapered roller bearings (bike has 130,000kms) - they last approx 50,000kms a set - but you must be careful to not overtighten them...... and also to make sure the lower bearing race is fully seated into the steering head. This is the biggest problem with DIY bearing changes. It is so difficult to hammer the frozen lower bearing race into the cleaned/prepared steering head from underneath...... my 6ft gorilla sized cousin, the bike mechanic, does it using a very big brass hammer and a metal tube that fits the bearing race and stem - he uses another person to steady the bike from above (me), while he belts the race in with several mighty blows of the hammer.

A lot get this wrong - even I can't do it properly (by myself)- so I have to adjust my tapers over the next 1,000kms before they work themselves tight again. Once settled, the bearings need only be tight enough to allow the handle bars to swing easily from side to side(front wheel off the ground) without any forward to back fork movement...... doing them up tighter works okay, but reduces their life.

Expect 60,000+ kms from tapers if done correctly. My last set are at about 50k kms so I must have done them right :evilaugh:...... but it isn't easy working at floor level by yourself..... best done in a workshop with the bike up on a bench and someone to help.

:thumb: My 05BB handles sweetly and steers beautifully...... I have an Ohlins rear shockie and Ohlins spring kit in the forks ;).

Reactions: Partsguy

·
Registered
434 Posts
normally decent taper rollers should last nearly forever if they are well greased
on my cbr1000f which has bicycle sized ball bearings im at near 65000 mi and still original
i do make sure they are well greased

1 - 8 of 8 Posts