Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
south san jose here. might look into barf (bay area riders forum) for more local activity.

buddy and i rode our birds to mt hamilton yesterday. lovely day for a ride!

Sky Vehicle Mountain Automotive tire Tire

Sky Plant Natural landscape Landscape Mountain

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, that is a great ride! I live in Northern Fremont, so to do that route, I ride to Livermore and pick up Mines road. From there, south to 130 and over the back side of Mt Hamilton. Give me a shout if ever you want more company on one of these rides - we can add a third color that Blackbird lineup!

·
Registered
360 Posts
stock for the silver one. mine has a custom corbin that was made at their factory in gilroy with the benefit of several test "sittings" by my wife (now ex) and i, about 15-20 years ago!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice! Been debating the merits of doing the same. Mine's got a Russell on it that is really nice but was made for a much taller person, and the reach to the bars is straining my back. I'm leaning towards selling it and investing in a custom made one, or a semi-custom like your Corbin.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i'd look into having a local auto upholstery shop re-shape & re-cover for you. since you'd be removing material, should be able to keep the same cover.

at that time, i didn't care for the "off the shelf" corbins, too far of a reach to the bars. we had the "rider pocket" moved forward and the passenger seat made longer with a bit of a rise forward for them compared to their standard profile.

it was really a neat program. they had the workshop open, you could walk anywhere (except the workers personal work areas - marked off with safety tape on the floor) and watch your seat being made. started off with the shaper with the quick setting spray on foam and their electric steak knife asking what you'd like and sending you out for test rides in between revisions. pick your material for the surfaces, sides and piping and it was off to the sewing machines. they had a little cafe with good food to pass the time if you didn't care to hover over your new saddle... was about $600 at the time. seemed pricey but, 15-20 years later, totally worth it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Neat, that sounds like a good way to make sure it works for you, and it definitely would pay for itself pretty quickly. Going off the website, I think they still offer a similar service, will need to give them a call. It's only an hour's ride for me, so definitely worth it.

For the current RDL, I'd want to be moved close to the bars, which would involve putting material back...it'll make fitting the old cover back on a bit more challenging. Russell said they could do that for me for a reduced cost, but the range of movement is pretty limited without going for a new build. I thought about going that route, but it doesn't make much sense as I risk getting stuck with something that still doesn't quite work for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts