Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone remove this tray recently; it looks it would take some serious effort to do so.

It would be much easier to install a shim if the tray is easier to remove !

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
451 Posts
Loosen the top nut enough for the shock to drop just enough to slide the shim in and tighten. Make sure the shim is in position correctly. You can get a socket on the nut without removing the tray.

Wood Rectangle Household hardware Material property Font

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The red arrows should be pointing towards the front of the bike once installed, correct?

Font Wood Cutting mat Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did anyone remove this tray recently; it looks it would take some serious effort to do so.

It would be much easier to install a shim if the tray is easier to remove !

View attachment 132335
I took my tray out to get the subframe off to repaint it. It was a sadistical job as someone had routed my wiring harness in and out of the frame and plastic tray. Took 1 hour to remove, 10 minutes to refit haha

·
Older wiser and sorer
1,614 Posts
I think when I put mine in I slipped it in from front, therefore the arrows facing rearward. There's a profile on the frame spar that you have to slip it over so it nestles behind it. I cut down a galvanised right angle bracket 5mm thick.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I think when I put mine in I slipped it in from front, therefore the arrows facing rearward. There's a profile on the frame spar that you have to slip it over so it nestles behind it. I cut down a galvanised right angle bracket 5mm thick.
Same for me - arrows facing rearward, but tucked in under the lip of the frame. Its wedged in there and not sliding out again without loosening the top shock nut ...
Certainly did not have to remove battery tray (or touch that battery at all). You will of course have to lift the rear of the tank a little to get to the top of the shock. Wedge it up with a spanner or a piece of wood.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry, dumb question, where do you buy this shim from? I was going to try to use washers, but this looks more elegant
I popped on Ebay and ordered one from lastnight, for $16 including delivery to Australia. It'll arrive in the next week or 2. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I popped on Ebay and ordered one from lastnight, for $16 including delivery to Australia. It'll arrive in the next week or 2. :)

Wow - that was easy - many thanks!!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took my tray out to get the subframe off to repaint it. It was a sadistical job as someone had routed my wiring harness in and out of the frame and plastic tray. Took 1 hour to remove, 10 minutes to refit haha

I hear you, it looked like a lot of electronics (attached to the tray) would need disconnecting ...so I opted for removing the rear cowl and inserting the shim on top of the shock, from where the coolant bottle is, using thin nose pliers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts