Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Remove the thin wire clips on top of the fork tubes. Loosen the handlebars, slide them up the fork tubes, and tighten them securely. Check all wires, cables, and hoses for clearance, rubbing, and proper function from lock to lock before you take to the road.

·
Registered
124 Posts
blackbird said:
could any one advise me on the best option for riseing the handal bars on my 04blackbird
Not cheap but a set of Helibars will move them up a bit over 1 inch and back about the same.

·
Registered
57 Posts
IXion, mate that bar rising situation looks by the photo really easy to do but why put yourself out so much by changing the position of the radiator:bowtome:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Helvet, That's a great link!

I think that you would have a greater range of motion with Convertibars, though! IMHO

You may need to get longer cables/hoses to get the maximum benefit from the system and possible a minor trim to the bottom of the windscreen for maximum usable rise/pullback.

ConvertiBARS

BTW,
Watch the video!

·
Need 4 speed = Food 4 thought!
719 Posts
Helvet, That's a great link!

I think that you would have a greater range of motion with Convertibars, though! IMHO

You may need to get longer cables/hoses to get the maximum benefit from the system and possible a minor trim to the bottom of the windscreen for maximum usable rise/pullback.

ConvertiBARS

BTW,
Watch the video!
The pictures and the posting were made by a friend of mine. I supplied the handlebars. I do know about the convertibars, but I don't like them. In my opinion they are very ugly..... (sorry).
Also, most of the extra range you can get from those, is not usable because you'll come in contact with the screen.
With the VarioBar you can make enough difference to make the bike comfortable, and it looks a lot better (again, in my opinion).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Helvet,
Your absolutely right about the looks. :hmm: The functionality is there. The Gilles Variobars are definitly the handsome way to go, though.:thumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
How much actually difference does the height make in comfort in the long haul? If I drop $200+ on a set of bars, they dang well better be worth it. If you've using any of these for a while, how do they compare to the stock? I bought my BB used and I'm pretty sure the bars are stock, but mine are even with the triple tree bolt, not raised at all like in the cool animate gif pics.

·
Need 4 speed = Food 4 thought!
719 Posts
How much actually difference does the height make in comfort in the long haul? If I drop $200+ on a set of bars, they dang well better be worth it. If you've using any of these for a while, how do they compare to the stock? I bought my BB used and I'm pretty sure the bars are stock, but mine are even with the triple tree bolt, not raised at all like in the cool animate gif pics.
This nobody can answer. It depends on your size, your riding style, and on what you like. In Italy you can go fast for a long time. On highways (Autostrada) the original bars can be more comfortable at higher speeds (less wind). In the mountains (Dolomites) a higher bar can be more comfortable, especcially coming down the mountain (less weight on your wrists).

If you want to give it a try it's simple. Just slide your current clip-ons up all the way to the top. You need to take off the clips on the forks, but you can go a little higher than the top of the forks. Then make a trip.....
If you feel like it is an improvement to you, then remember the VFR-VTEC-bars give you about twice the raise you just got (no pun intended).

The big advantage from the VarioBar is that you can adjust almost everything. You can get the bars more level, or more angle. You can slide them forwards, or backwards, and you can make them wider using the heavy bar-end weights (just slide the controls outwards over the weights). All these functions are not on VTEC-bars.

·
chaserkeywest
148 Posts
Convertibars, you do have to use a Dremel to shave the stock screen and most after market screens as well.

If you want max height.

Its not a big job and I find them to be super, up alot and back a bit.

Looks wise, never had anyone notice them?! Dont care.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's what I did:

Jaws Bar Risers with Built-In Fork Preload Adjusters

AdjustoRisers01
AdjustoRisers02
AdjustoRisers03
AdjustoRisers04
AdjustoRisers05

The risers and caps raise the bars about 1 1/16". The front spring preload adjusters work like a charm.
No mods to the bike required at all. The brake hoses were stretched to get the bars on, I suspect that did them no good, but they are not really tight once installed. The throttle cables are a little tighter than they were but they do not bind. The electrical cables are not affected at all. No issues with strength that I can see as the bar clamps over the top of the steel fork tube as well as the aluminum cap and the cap walls are 1/2" thick (not that the wall thickness is all that meaningful as most of the strength of tubes comes from the outermost diameter of the tube, as a structural mechanics analysis will tell you). Neverthless, if the bike fell on the bars, I would at least disassemble and inspect the cap threads or replace the cap.
This increased the comfort quite a bit. I had none of the tightness in the shoulder I had before and it significantly reduces the angle of my neck when looking down the road. Of course, my neck is a little better itself so that's part of it. After 45 miles I had no neck or back pain but the familiar wrist pressure kicked in but at only a fraction of what it used to be. Just need to work the abs and forearms a bit for that. After a fuel stop I was good to go again. The preload adjusters will come in handy for two up.
I still plan to put VFR bars on it. That should give me about another 1/2" up (on the angle of the fork tubes) and pull them back as well, not to mention get rid of that odd downward slant. That will definitely require new hoses though, not sure about the throttle cables. It looks like the windscreen may not be an issue. May try having a spare seat I have lowered as well.
All in all, very satisfied so far.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts