Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background....

CBR BLACkBIRD 1100XX.

Driving down from France to Spain, get to Bordeaux and engine seems to pull back. When i get to Zaragoza and fill up (correct fuel) the thing wont rev at all. And the idle is extremely rough. Like it is being starved of fuel.

Get it on the back of a van to where i am going and we try to diagnose it. First empty the fuel tank and check filter and pump. All seem to be as should be. Check all the lines. All good.

Check and replace the FPR, this was leaking a tiny amount of fuel. So also did an oil change and filter.

Air filter is brand new.

Checked all the plugs. All seem to be ok and are all sparking.

its not the cct, cam changer tensioner. That has just been re done.

Can start it, just about. Idles over really roughly and as soon as i tun the accelerator even the slightest it cuts off.

There is a knocking noise on ideal that goes when i press the clutch.

Anyone with any ideas

See video for what it is doing

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
The knock is clutch basket rattle because it's hitting so erratic. I'd do a flow and pressure check on the fuel system. Visual may look good but functional it may be failing. What does the inside of the tank look like?it might be worth draining the tank again and refilling it with known good fuel. You may have picked up water in your last fill up. I'd also pull the plugs and see what they look like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The knock is clutch basket rattle because it's hitting so erratic. I'd do a flow and pressure check on the fuel system. Visual may look good but functional it may be failing. What does the inside of the tank look like?it might be worth draining the tank again and refilling it with known good fuel. You may have picked up water in your last fill up. I'd also pull the plugs and see what they look like.
Tank is clean inside. Brand new fuel. Pulled the plugs, All spark well, not bad condition. Gave them a bit of a clean and put back in.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Second the pump as well. Need to do s pressure and flow check per the service manual here in the resources section

·
Registered
653 Posts
Beestoys, you can't second me, I just seconded you! :geek:
Sam, sorry to hijack your thread, we are in agreement, test your fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Hah
I could if I seconded the same time you did😁.

·
Super Moderator
8,329 Posts
Got to thinking if the plugs got wet with water moisture they won't recover. They can fire out of the cylinder but under compression pressure it can blow out.
I'd try a new set of plugs its firing but very erratic like they may be getting blown out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Type "service manual" into search community at the top of this page. It's a pdf and quite long. Anyway, how handy are you?
There are 2 tests, pressure and flow. It must pass both. The flow test requires no special tools so maybe start with that one. As the name implies you are going to disconnect high pressure fuel lines to collect fuel and measure etc. Tank can stay on bike in raised position. Off hand IDK what the flow rate specs are, you will have to look that up...or maybe someone can chime in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Type "service manual" into search community at the top of this page. It's a pdf and quite long. Anyway, how handy are you?
There are 2 tests, pressure and flow. It must pass both. The flow test requires no special tools so maybe start with that one. As the name implies you are going to disconnect high pressure fuel lines to collect fuel and measure etc. Tank can stay on bike in raised position. Off hand IDK what the flow rate specs are, you will have to look that up...or maybe someone can chime in.
Thanks Fizzy. I have a mechanic coming to pick it up on Wednesday unless i can fix it before hand. Driving me nuts. But will give the tests a go this afternoon.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
If you take the fuel pump out check the filter isn't partially blocked. A mates bike had a similar issue last year. I removed the filter from the pump and washed it in brake cleaner. It was full of crap (120k) on her. Reassembled and all good. May save you a few quid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you take the fuel pump out check the filter isn't partially blocked. A mates bike had a similar issue last year. I removed the filter from the pump and washed it in brake cleaner. It was full of crap (120k) on her. Reassembled and all good. May save you a few quid.
Thanks adeyren. Yes we tried that. Took it all to bits, cleaned it and checked all the pipes. Still the same. Finally given up and called a mechanic to come and pick it up today. So we will see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts