Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Been away from bikes for the last 10 years. Just bought a dusty but well serviced blackbird that needs a good clean. Figured holidays are a write off with covid so may get a bit of staycation touring done instead.
Any assistance and advice appreciated. Cheers.
S.a
941A6AB2-55AC-4521-8EE3-0E79086D1965.png

·
Play, it makes life fun
2,073 Posts
Welcome. Lot's of thi gs can be learned from this forum!
This thing is a tame cat below 6000 rpm. Above 7,000 and it changes it's growl into a tiger. Don't know your experience level... so just letting you know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: akentak

·
Registered
4 Posts
How’s it going lad.
that’s a lovely machine!!!
I’m in the same boat as yourself - just coming back to biking, (I’m 42). I bought a 07 blackbird yesterday 😳
Bit of a problem though, bikes perfect.... but I have zero no claims benefit so insurance (in Ireland) is looking dodgy. Got an online quote from liberty (no reference no 😞) of 1393 f comp. yesterday evening. Rang around this morning and principal need 2yrs ncb and Carole Nash need 1 yr ncb.
I tried to see if I could get a better online quote from liberty (Carole Nash lady told me a ‘log cabin’ is considered a timber garage so thought I might save a euro!? )
filled in all the forms and got sorry we are unable to quote you!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How’s it going lad.
I’m in the same boat as yourself - just coming back to biking, (I’m 42). I bought a 07 blackbird yesterday 😳
Bit of a problem though, bikes perfect.... but I have zero no claims benefit so insurance (in Ireland) is looking dodgy. Got an online quote from liberty (no reference no 😞) of 1393 f comp. yesterday evening. Rang around this morning and principal need 2yrs ncb and Carole Nash need 1 yr ncb.
I tried to see if I could get a better online quote from liberty (Carole Nash lady told me a ‘log cabin’ is considered a timber garage so thought I might save a euro!? )
Hows it going.
I got a quote from axa that they’ll honour if i do their bike assessment and get a grade 2 or higher. Trouble is that all the bike schools are on lockdown🤦🏻‍♂️.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hows it going.
I got a quote from axa that they’ll honour if i do their bike assessment and get a grade 2 or higher. Trouble is that all the bike schools are on lockdown🤦🏻‍♂️.
Hmmmm that might be a possible light at the end of the tunnel. Cheers.
I wonder if I insured my car with them would they do me a deal for both??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
What year is your Bird?

Generic things to look out for:

Charging system. It's worth getting a little voltmeter to fix on the dash. If you see the volts spiking or dropping, check your battery, reg/rec and stator outputs. If the battery is old, change it.

Linked brakes. Worth keeping on top of with a bit of tlc. Refurb the calipers with new seals and check pistons for pitting/sharp nicks.
Keep on top of servicing the bearings throughout but for the workings of the brakes keep the pivot collar above the secondary master cylinder (smc) lubricated. The collar/sleeve needs to be free enough to be removed and apply bearing grease to. If not it will stick the smc and your back brake will drag. The smc can need a service too.

Seafoam Deep Creep, penetrating lubricant is great for any screws/bolts that are difficult to budge.

All decent places to get spares oem and aftermarket.

Fowlers Parts | Genuine Motorcycle Parts & Spares. are good for oem and to see the breakdown of parts diagrams.

Good luck and with a bit of attention she will go on forever. I've got a carbie with 140,000 miles which I use all year and she still starts on the first press of the start button and puts a smile on my face.

Mike

Sent from my RMX2063 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hmmmm that might be a possible light at the end of the tunnel. Cheers.
I wonder if I insured my car with them would they do me a deal for both??
You could try LV if they trade there. The wife has her car with them. She talked to them about would I get a discount if I put my bike with them. Few things came up… firstly they aren't on the comparison sites so fewer folk know they insure bikes. Secondly yes a 5% discount in my case. Thirdly, quoted ⅓ the cost of my Aviva renewal and £100 lower than the cheapest on the comparison sites. Let me know if that helps or whether I was incredibly lucky.

Cheers Mallow1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
What year is your Bird?

Generic things to look out for:

Charging system. It's worth getting a little voltmeter to fix on the dash. If you see the volts spiking or dropping, check your battery, reg/rec and stator outputs. If the battery is old, change it.

Linked brakes. Worth keeping on top of with a bit of tlc. Refurb the calipers with new seals and check pistons for pitting/sharp nicks.
Keep on top of servicing the bearings throughout but for the workings of the brakes keep the pivot collar above the secondary master cylinder (smc) lubricated. The collar/sleeve needs to be free enough to be removed and apply bearing grease to. If not it will stick the smc and your back brake will drag. The smc can need a service too.

Seafoam Deep Creep, penetrating lubricant is great for any screws/bolts that are difficult to budge.

All decent places to get spares oem and aftermarket.

Fowlers Parts | Genuine Motorcycle Parts & Spares. are good for oem and to see the breakdown of parts diagrams.

Good luck and with a bit of attention she will go on forever. I've got a carbie with 140,000 miles which I use all year and she still starts on the first press of the start button and puts a smile on my face.

Mike

Sent from my RMX2063 using Tapatalk
{EDIT, I,m sorry, just realised you weren't responding to me directly, and sorry to op for hijacking his thread 😔)

Ah man thank you so much for all the information and advice! Legend.
It's a 07
All standard as far as I can tell, apart from bar risers (clip on risers?)
My buddy, who checked it b4 I bought it (and drives a 02 blackbird) is a mechanic so he will be doing any big jobs on it and realistically helping me with any small jobs 😂
Thanks again lad, appreciate the help 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could try LV if they trade there. The wife has her car with them. She talked to them about would I get a discount if I put my bike with them. Few things came up… firstly they aren't on the comparison sites so fewer folk know they insure bikes. Secondly yes a 5% discount in my case. Thirdly, quoted ⅓ the cost of my Aviva renewal and £100 lower than the cheapest on the comparison sites. Let me know if that helps or whether I was incredibly lucky.

Cheers Mallow1
Cheers dude, I'm in Ireland (in a town called 'mallow' actually 😂) so we've only 4 companies doing bike insurance, liberty, Carole nash, principal (brokers for axa?) And axa, (or Aon bike care as their called)
Anyway I got sorted with Liberty! (The other three would/could not give quote without 1 or 2 years no claim bonas)

Thanks for trying to help lad 👍👍

·
Registered
706 Posts
No worries Punchy, my pleasure and glad you're sorted. Wow… I'm a town in Ireland! Who knew. Defo going to have to ride through if I ever come over to the Emerald Isle with the bird.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi all,
Been away from bikes for the last 10 years...
… Any assistance and advice appreciated. Cheers.
S.a
Regulator/ Rectifier (R/R), FI loom, OEM horn, headlight beams and the mirrors are arguably weaknesses in our birds.

Consider…
RR: consider upgrade to Shindengen FH020 or SH847
FI Loom: check the forum for the issue and soln.
Horn: see coments below
Healights: consider upgrade to LEDs/HiD or projectors
Mirrors: their width gives blindspots esp if you are broad shouldered so consider mirror extenders which work well (to get past your shoulders and/or top box) and blend in plus "aspherical" tipped mirror glass (to cover the blind spots or use stick on mini additional mirrors).

Horn:
Donegal, if your carbie is still on the weak pathetic OEM horn, consider a Stebel or Screaming Banschee. The Stebel Nautilus (139dB) will fit in the nosecone (headlight mounting bolt) or under the tank (one of the water system bolts). Screaming B "mini" will (I think fit) in OEM loc (126dB). Other fave is the Stebel Magnum.

Punchy, same for you though with FI the Stebel Nautilus will fit in the OEM loc with a bit of bracketry (see Twisted Throttle instructions… which don't mention it doesnt work on carbies there as the oil cooler clashes). And the Screaming mini ought to fit too.

Hope some of that helps with insight and options if nothing else. Enjoy your birds.

Rgds Mallow1

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi!
Thanks for the heads up. Before by spousal induced hiatus id been on an r1. Bout 15 years of mostly yamaha
Welcome aboard Fellow Fighter Pilot! GREAT forum! Just about EVERYTHING you need to about your bird can be found here. GREAT and very helpful bunch! The Blackbird is a VERY smooth machine! Bu don't let that fool you! Be safe and again welcome.

·
Registered
325 Posts
How’s it going lad.
Welcome aboard Fellow Fighter Pilot! Same message to you as Donegalblackbird! Just about EVERYTHING you need to about your bird can be found here. GREAT and very helpful bunch! The Blackbird is a VERY smooth machine! But don't let that fool you! Be safe and again welcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts