Honda CBR XX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Any great recommendation for good slip-ons. I am currently running on a set of MIGS. My '99 XX had a full system Yoshi ( i so miss it)!! besides a yoshi anything loud and great advice???:idunno:

·
Registered
877 Posts
I resisted slip-ons a loooooong time on my XX (the quiet stealth of the OEM canisters has its advantages), but I did break down and scored some exquisite Erion Racing black aluminum slip-ons last year.

The sound quite amazing, but do not howl like a banshee the way the Yosh or D&D's do.

And they look KILLER! :thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I rode a friend's XX which had Erions and I loved the sound - deep, mellow, not obnoxiously loud, and sweet when blipping those downshifts. Sounded nice at idle too - a nice, deep burbble. What I liked most is that you aren't deaf after an hour. Not as quiet as stock but still a nice, mellow note that you actually enjoy listening to. I had a D&D on my VFR and the noise just drove you nuts after an hour. Way too loud.

Warchild, is it necessary to remap the injection (I have a 2000 model) when switching to the Erion slip-ons? I know this is a dumb question, but how do you remap? Does the dealer do this? Do you receive software from Erion that's specific to the 'bird for the remapping proceedure? I understand the rejetting principal w/ carbed bikes but never really understood what all is involved with the fuel injected 'birds. Again, I know it's a dumb question, but I'd like to learn more on this. Thanks.

·
I'm Still Smiling...
610 Posts
I agree with Oldgeezer the only slipons I have heard and did not like were the D&D's.
I also did not like their workmanship as well. Guess you get what you pay for?:idunno:

Other than those I have liked all the rest I have seen.:thumb:

·
I'm Still Smiling...
610 Posts
Warchild, is it necessary to remap the injection (I have a 2000 model) when switching to the Erion slip-ons? I know this is a dumb question, but how do you remap? Does the dealer do this? Do you receive software from Erion that's specific to the 'bird for the remapping proceedure? I understand the rejetting principal w/ carbed bikes but never really understood what all is involved with the fuel injected 'birds. Again, I know it's a dumb question, but I'd like to learn more on this. Thanks.
I know I'm not Warchild but...:p

No you don't "jet" an FI bird, you could add a PC but it's not necessary.:thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
IMO slip ons are slip ons. Pick the ones you think will look the best with your bike, or pick the brand you like. All slipons have about the same HP gain. The major benifit of aftermarket slipons is the weight reduction. and nearly all brands of slip ons with save weight over the heavy stock cans.

Outside of wanting to run a set of bags i dont know why you would consider and other slipons over your MIGS. highmount MIGS are pretty much the most sought after exhaust for the XX.

I have dual carbon fiber 2Bros. They sound fast but they are pretty loud. I got em cause I like how they look and for all the weight they save. I ideally wanted a set of Leo Vince but could not find any. the Leo Vince sound the best to me LV's have the deep, tuned sound that I really like (totally personal prefrence of course)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I loved the evo blueflames I had on mine sounded awesome nice deep throaty sound and couldn't beat the looks of the dual exhaust ports on each can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like my 2-Bros.

They tell me they're quite startling when I do a fly by.:eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
I rode with stock for a while then put on some erions and now have two brothers (but have yet to hear them). I usually run two bros or micron they sound sweet!! Any of the 3 are good, I dont like yosh or D&D as they sound ratty and not growly!

·
chaserkeywest
148 Posts
Dale Walker of Holeshot.com, who is famous for hot rodding the Suzuki Bandit ZRX Kaw and ZX11-12 Kaws. and others, builds a beautiful end can.

He has been considering building End Cans for the Bird, he usually builds 3 different choices Mellow, Medio and Race, with really nice sounds and a glowing Dyno print out.

I have had his cans on the Bandit for a few years and the workmanship including brackets etc. will rival OEM stuff.

I called him 6mos ago and he said if enough interest is out there he will build for the Bird.

I understand others have been pushing him resently and he was looking for a "Donor" Bird to get started.

Because he is in California, we need a Cali. Bird that would be willing to lend his bike for a while to Holeshot.

I'm sure a full exhaust would be the reward for this effort.

I go for Stealth but the cans on the Bandit, while very Stealthy, when cranked are really Fruity and added 10 HP

G

·
Lazer cans look good and have the removable baffle. Also, they have a real mounting lug to eliminate the band clamp found on all other slip ons. And, have bracket for the stock center stand to rest on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last year I picked up a set of Venom Exhaust stainless steel cans for my '97. I get lots of compliments on them because:

a) they come without any stickers or labels installed. They ship with some labels that are self adhesive but you can stick with the high gloss, stainless steel look that nearly looks factory.

b) they have a nice deep rumble that winds up to a rich roar in the higher revs.

I think I got them through 1888FastLap

·
Registered
877 Posts
For the following discussion, I'll ASSume you already have a PC-III installed.

Warchild, is it necessary to remap the injection (I have a 2000 model) when switching to the Erion slip-ons?
No, it is not.

While you might benefit a little from a custom map for your PC-III with slip-ons only, there are a ton of maps already freely available for many versions of slip-ons. It likely makes little financial sense to do a special dyno run if you only have slips-ons. Perhaps in some special circumstances it might, but generally speaking, no, it's not really necessary.

Now, if you have a full system (new headers and canisters), that's a different story... you owe it to yourself to spend the couple hundred bucks and get a custom map that is specific to your bike with it's new exhaust line. Only then will you really get the maximum gains possible for your setup. You've likely spent well over 1 Large for your new full system; go the extra mile and get a custom map done for your PC-III, so you'll reap the biggest benefit you can.

I know this is a dumb question, but how do you remap? Does the dealer do this? Do you receive software from Erion that's specific to the 'bird for the remapping proceedure? I understand the rejetting principal w/ carbed bikes but never really understood what all is involved with the fuel injected 'birds. Again, I know it's a dumb question, but I'd like to learn more on this. Thanks.
There are no dumb questions. No one should hesitate asking any XX-related question here... that's the sole purpose of this forum, is to spread the knowledge among all of us.

In describing a "re-mapping", the following explanation is a little simplistic, but should give you an idea of what's going on here.

One doesn't typically remap the stock ECU; "re-mapping" usually refers to the Power-Commander's ability to alter the air/fuel mixture over a wide range of RPM settings in an attempt to approach a 13:1 air-fuel mixture (13 parts air for every part fuel). This is the level that, generally-speaking, provides optimum power for most engines (some prescribe a 13.5:1 or 14:1 ratio, but you get the idea here).

To create a custom "map", the bike is place on a dynometer and has various sensors attached to it. The bike is then "ran up" several times to measure horsepower and torque values under the prevailing conditions (conditions such as barometric pressure, ambient air temp, altitude, etc) All of these factors are inserted into a big, hairy computer algorithm, and the result is a set of instructions (a "mapping") that a computer (PC-IIIusb) interprets to determine how long (duration of time) the fuel injectors fire off during any given engine load/RPM setting.

Ideally, the mapping provides the most power under any given load and RPM setting. However, one could also "tune" the mapping a little richer such that it provides a velvety-smooth throttle response, or tune it a little leaner to provide maximum gas mileage. Or some combination of these.

Like I say, this description is a bit simplistic... didn't want to make it clear as mud... :smilebig:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have Scorpion slip ons on mine, love them. They are packed with stainless steel so they never need to be re-packed. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's probably not a fesible option for most, but the Bos brand slip ons that are on my bike are fairly low pitched, and have a nice low burble to them. The reason I say they're not too feasible is that they apparently are not imported regularly by any US sources.
I only picked them up at a deacent price due to getting a deal from one of the dealers that had been burned by someone else and left holding a set.

If you're looking for exhaust in Europe, though, these are a nice option, and if you leave the mute sleeve in the tip, they're even road legal. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Scorpions here as well, very pleased and they have a centerstand bracket bumper built in (use the rubber off your original can).

·
Registered
104 Posts
hello there i would be interested in the pipes i just purchased a 2000 xx and i'am pretty much a novice but like the high mount look are these much lighter and is as easy as pluging into your pc and mounting your pipes
ps would a4into one be better or is all just preferance?
thank you for your time and i like your bike looks like you have been alot of placed and where did you get your luggage mainly the rear tour pack
thanks sandy ps the xx sure is faster than my shadow 750 lol
214-729-8777 i'am new to this whole page thing so fill free to call

·
Registered
304 Posts
Sandy I just noticed yours is a 2000. The PCII would work fine on that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts