Honda CBR XX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Getting ready for some trips and needed to double the LEDs on the back. (And add some extra lighting on the front also, but another project.) 3" up top tail light and 8" bottom very bright brake and turn signals. (Created some more space inside also which is always a goal.)
Changing the tail light I forgot to disconnect the batt and saw a light short / small sparking. This had happened last month with a short against the frame when disconnecting the clips on battery charger resulting in exact same symptoms. (I electrical taped all around bat box and clip tops to avoid this again.) But sorting the new tail light had us again lose dash lights and turn signals and running lights. Brake lights. Headlights high, low beam, and dash high beam blue light are only things working.
Checked all fuses and connections looking good. Nothing fried. Replaced Rec Reg and Stator clips few times.
In the past the no gauges and lights signaled me I forgot to clip the small connector left of batt after having tank off.
This past short experience seemed to "reset' or just come back on after some time checking connections and charging system.
Hoped someone may know of a connection in particular? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry I can't really help, time to get the multimeter out and start chasing it I think.
Do the usual to start with, good charged battery, if you have spare fuses, I would change the ones that are in, just incase one is cracked.
Check earth points and connections and ignition switch wiring. Good luck.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Take a look at this thread

• Love
Reactions: Jetfire

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a minute to lift the tank and get a feel for the main harness but couldn't find any section with anything big enough to resemble the FI system multi plug?
1st pic shows main coming from under seat at relays and Rec/Reg (two plastic flex vertical). I've just moved relays and multi fuse under side rail.
2nd; route of main headed under main fuse to under tank from seat area.
3rd; under tank headed towards front cluster.
4th; in a little closer after dusting a little in case Tiger sees this...:oops:
Thanks for taking a look, ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My ordered dielectric grease came today prompting every connector go thru. Removed connectors under seat including relays and every fuse applying the grease. Found one wire skinned and repaired but not a suspect to dash and running light fail. Orange turn signals work but no white runners. Removed shield and checked running light connections. Lifted tank and greased checked the 4 connections under tank. and one that sits behind battery. What am I missing? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
This is an FI? What about the loom fix?
In this pic, the main loom where it passes in front of the red spring there is a rectangular shape. I believe this to be the offending ground connector. There are more but this is the one that goes bad due to its location.
There is also an actual loom multi pin connector under the nose cone.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Ok, carby. Earlier your said "but couldn't find any section with anything big enough to resemble the FI system multi plug" so that threw me.

Not aware that the carbys need the loom fix, but that rectangular shape looks suspicious. What is it?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thx fiz, Ya Beestoys thought it was FI so that was the reference. This is a quandary. Wouldn't be CPU issue would it? Any reset for it? Somehow it went away the last short after fiddling with a few things and testing out the stator, rec - reg.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In pic I posted: Left of the green fuse, in front of the red spring.

"Somehow it went away the last short after fiddling with a few things and testing out the stator, rec - reg." Dodgy wiring somewhere. If you don't run it down and fix, it will give trouble at the worst possible time..........murphy's law.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Wouldn't be CPU issue would it? Any reset for it?
No. On carb bikes the ecu has no involvement in lights or indicators. And given they should work even with no engine running you can take charging circuit out of the mix too, assuming the battery is fully charged.

Sounds like a loom or connector issue to me and you'll just need to trace the issue with a multimeter and a circuit diagram. Just pick ONE THING that isn't working and focus on that. It will likely point to a ground or plug issue that is the culprit.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Jet
Want to say the plug I mentioned is still in the loom up near the forward section I mention in the thread.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx guys, hey Bees, the loom stays at 5/8 - 3/4 inch from bat box side to Stator plug group (green, yellow, red) under tank. No big plugs anywhere? I'll start testing wires from fuse for dash forward.

·
Administrator
9,595 Posts
Jet the connector I mention was actually forward of that. I want to say it was between the section running down next to frame. Between the frame post foe the upper body mount and front blue dash plug that connects the dash.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Bees, don't see anything like this. I was going to trace the plug wires you disconnect to raise the tank but they disappear under the tank and I cant find where they emerge up front. Stuck.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sorry Bees, don't see anything like this. I was going to trace the plug wires you disconnect to raise the tank but they disappear under the tank and I cant find where they emerge up front. Stuck.
Probably will need to remove the tank ... its all pretty obvious then.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pulled the tank reminding me the plug was just for the fuel gauge only...
Havnt worked any wiring in some time other then Stator / rec-reg replace. (and messing with LEDs) Is there a fav testing tool for tracing. I only have mutimeters.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Multimeter is all you need. Clip black to -ve terminal, and poke around with the red probe looking for voltage sor continuity to grounds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts